Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 04:49 PM   #1

Rat prevention

I am going to be moving to a new spot in a few weeks and will remain in that spot through the winter. My neighbor just told me that he seen a rat running underneath the trailer that is there currently. Since I'll be moving into that spot soon and there is already a rodent presence, is there anything I can do to prevent said rodent(s) from attempting to chew their way into my camper?

I would prefer to not put poison down as I have also seen a cat that roams the park but apparently it's not enough of a deterrent to keep the rodents away. I have cats on the inside of my trailer but if the rodent chews it's way into the underbelly of my unit, my cats won't be able to do much about it. Not to mention, this rat looks to be the size of my smaller cat....so it could be a bad situation if it did make it inside of the unit.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.
mermald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #2

There is no getting around rat poison use as it is the most effective method.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:04 PM   #3

I use Rid-a Rat strobe lights 12v and snap traps. Never had a problem.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Personally I prefer electronic zappers.... Bait them with peanut butter or sunflower seeds (shelled) and check the trap at least every morning.

Expensive but I get results. Instant results! Poison works for family groups but takes longer and actual count is unknown.

Your experience may vary.....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210803_045829.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	346683   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210803_045914.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	346684  

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:43 PM   #5

2X on the Rat Zapper. Had a couple on my van at work. One thing to note is rats are wary of new things and may take a while before it investigates the Zapper. You can bait it with anything. Dry dog or cat kibble works well as does peanut butter.

There's a slight chance the neighborhood cat might stick it's paw in the zapper of it smells the food inside. Shouldn't harm the cat because the current isn't going though it's body if it gets zapped. Kitty just won't try that again. If you are still worried about a cat getting zapped, extend the opening of the Zapper with something long enough a cat's front leg couldn't reach the zap pads inside the zapper.

You can use rat sized snap traps too, but you should build or find a sturdy box to put it in (not cardboard) Cut a 2" hole in the side of the box. An old bucket with a lid will do. The idea is the box will prevent a wandering cat or dog from getting nailed by the trap. FYI: Rat snap traps are very strong so be very careful when setting and placing them.

Put on some old clothes and grab a flashlight because you'll want to crawl around under your rig looking for any entry holes. Stuff them with metal wool, and seal with expanding foam. This keeps the rodents from smelling potential entries. The rat will probe around your rig and typically won't gnaw an opening unless it finds one to enlarge. That's another reason to seal all holes shut regardless of size. If you see wires, tube or hoses that look like they go through to the inside but you can't see exactly where they enter because something is in the way, use your fingers to probe around. If it's a bundle of wires feel for a gap in the center. Plugging holes is like making sure your doors and windows are locked when you know a prowler is in the neighborhood.

If you go the poison route, use or make a pet resistant bait station.

I recently read about a rat poison that is pet safe. It's called Rat-X and is available at Lowes. Reviews are mixed, and I've never used it when doing institutional pest control so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness. Can't hurt to try it. Even though it says it's pet safe, I'd still put it in a bait station of some sorts, and back it up with a zapper or properly shielded snap trap in another spot. Check them regularly and place them back in the same spot so they don't trigger the rat's new object fear.

One last thing. If you have one rat roaming you have more. If you catch or kill a rat, reload the trap and put it back. If the bait is being taken, refill it and keep it out. Rodent control isn't one and done. Assume more will come. The human vs rodent war has been going on for millenia.

If you end up with mice, and don't want to bait, Google Mouse Bucket trap and build one. Note they aren't for the faint of heart because the bucket will kill them by drowning. Since no poison is involved you can toss the dead bodies off in the bushes and other animals will take care of them. Think of it as mouse recycling. Just don't dump them close by because they will attract other creatures like Raccoons.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #6

I have had great luck with a string of LED lights around the base of the 5er, I also have a string around the inside of the engine compartment of my truck.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:43 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Setting a couple of traps in the basement is very effective. Just check them every day and bait and reset as needed.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 07:19 PM   #8

We have had good luck with prevention by spreading Bounce dryer sheets around in large quantities. We also have a roll of pine scented garbage bags and spread some of them around whenever we are parking the camper for an extended period. We tried mothballs and thought they also worked but they were also hard on the returning humans. No mice or rats in 5 years and our storage yard has a pasture on two sides and a bush along the back. I also went everywhere underneath and in all compartments and sealed even the slightest openings with 'Great Stuff'.

Tags
vent