Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2020, 11:20 AM   #1

Realistic price for new?

I saw somewhere a percentage most said you could expect to get off a new trailer but don't remember. Also don't remember if it was their "sale" price or msrp. I want to say it was 30% but not positive. Saw a trailer that was $64k on sale for $59k. What would a realistic price be?
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Usually 25 to 30% off the manufactures MSRP, not an inflated dealers sticker for new stock. But realistically the discount is one that you are happy with.

Anything the dealer throws in is not really free, you are paying for it.

$45k to $48k is realistic for that unit. I am sure he would love to sell it for $59k.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:10 PM   #3

Evergreen Owners Club
If possible. Take a look at what the same model 2-3 years older is selling for used. Add a couple 3-5 thousand dollars and start form there.
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 12:26 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I always feel like I get taken on these deals because I'm not real aware of what I should be paying. Not even sure we're buying right now.....just testing the waters and if the right deal is there we would.
Old 04-14-2020, 01:59 PM   #5

Research the model on RV trader and/or RVT and see what they can be had for elsewhere in the country. Then, decide if/how far you're willing to travel. You'll probably find the prices cheapest near where it is manufactured (often Indiana). Shipping is +/- $2 per mile for the dealers. Point being, don't expect a dealer on the west coast to match the price of one in Kentucky.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:18 PM   #6

Custom builders

Not intended to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about the level of negotiation to expect with the high end custom builders, spacecraft and new horizons. Anyone with experience there would like to chime in or start another thread would be appreciated.
Palmeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:23 PM   #7

I would think that now is the time to bargain. I wouldn't think there are a lot of buyers out there.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmeris View Post
Not intended to hijack the thread, but I'm curious about the level of negotiation to expect with the high end custom builders, spacecraft and new horizons. Anyone with experience there would like to chime in or start another thread would be appreciated.
Not a hijack at all....I'm always keen on learning things so hope some good first hand experience gets shared.

The 5er I was looking at is a 2020 venom 403. I've looked around at prices at that $59k price seems to be pretty common "sale price". I'm wondering what the RV market is going to look like in a month? I can think of reasons it will be down but also reasons it might not.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I saw somewhere a percentage most said you could expect to get off a new trailer but don't remember. Also don't remember if it was their "sale" price or msrp. I want to say it was 30% but not positive. Saw a trailer that was $64k on sale for $59k. What would a realistic price be?
I didn't see anyone else above ask....

Is this a +$75-85k MSRP that was $64k now lowered to $59K?

Or is it a $64K MSRP selling now at $59k

Another person posted that it should be at $45-48k but this all depends on the manufacturers MSRP.... that should be your starting point to then get 25-30% off of that starting price. Depending on that MSRP maybe the trailer you are looking at was 25% markdown and the additional price reduction from the $64k and now at $59k is near or above 30%.

Like others have said you need the "window sticker" from the coach builder not anything that the dealer made that could be "puffed up".....

Lastly someone with more experience could say better than I could.... I have also heard the 25-30% off as a standard rule..... on RV's.

I have no experience with trailers so maybe someone else could say if this is the same target range to expect.

Good luck!
AZ RV'r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #10

I’d say 30% when everything is normal. They aren’t moving much inventory. Take advantage whole you can, and force them to make a deal.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:03 PM   #11

We didn’t get what we wanted for our trade, but we did get 30% below MSRP on a new 5th wheel.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #12

I miss spoke in the last post....it's a carbon 403 not a venom. I see a range of msrp prices ranging from $87k-95k. Most seem to be in the 94-95 range.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #13

I won't buy unless I get 30 - 35% off but that is me. I got 40% off a left over unit several years ago.

If 59k is the sale price you need to know the MSRP. If the MSRP is 64k then 59k is way way too high.

If 64k is MSRP then said price needs to be 44.8k or 30% off.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 09:41 PM   #14

Look for model year closeouts. If its a model year close out I would take MSRP and multiply by .6 for my opening offer. You can routinely get an RV for MSRP x .65 on non-custom closeout models and x .6 isn't crazy. At some point the curtailment schedule on the floor plan will kick in and the dealer needs to start paying principal plus interest on the unit and that's usually when they are more motivated to deal.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote