Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
We have a TT, not a 5th wheel, which are worse for bounce because of the hitch point on the TV. The functionality and counter space provided by a rear kitchen outweighs negatives like rear end bounce. Our fridge is in the slide which gives above average counter space. Bounce will depend somewhat on the trailer's suspension, the position of the axles relative to overall length, overall length, GVWR and the stiffness of the truck's suspension. Some have no problems while some do report bounce issues. Can't really predict it and you just have to wait and see. I've even heard of clothes hangers bouncing off rods in front bedrooms in a FW, so it's not just a RK thing either.

We've had cupboard doors open, the stove grate come right out, things hop out of the sink and even the plastic rod on the window blinds come off. Opened the entry door once to find coffee and stuff all over the floor. One thing that really helps is to slow down for upcoming speed bumps as they can really launch the rear end upwards. Shocks would help a lot, and they are a good idea on any TT or FW. You can also double up on the cabinet door catches.

We have a new rear kitchen TT coming shortly and we've gone with theater seating this time which will be a lot more comfortable than our current RV sofa. We also have the seating/TV across the width and don't find it a problem and the theater seating will be nicer for sitting for long stretches.

I really miss the large rear picture window in our first trailer but wouldn't give up a RK for one now. Not a chance!

WOW..........what a bummer.

When we took our maiden voyage in our 24' TT the so call extra strength drawers were all opened. Hanging out. Really surprised they weren't all broken from the bouncing. They were on the side of TT.

I went to Big Box Dept Store and bought magnetic door catches. Had Jim put them on my drawers and cabinet doors. They faced forward. Pantry cabinet door and drawer was opened. Fixed that. I also use the metal adjustable rods. That helped in the pantry and dish cabinet. We didn't have enough closet space so I bought a car adjustable clothe rack and hung it in our corner stand up shower. Our 1st trip with clothes rod they were all on the floor of the shower. Boy what a mess when that happened. I went to the Dollar Store and bought a dz hair clamps. Perfect size for the clothes rod. Solved the clothes bouncing off and each one holds 6 - 7 hangers between their teeth. Keeps clothes from being squeezed too tight. I installed an adjustable curtain rod in front of my sink for dish towels and use the hair clamps to keep them from meeting the floor. Love it when 1 towel is to wet I have another dry one handy.
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkford1953 View Post
WOW..........what a bummer.
Worst part is that I put the almost new door mat on the ground in a mall parking lot while cleaning up the mess. Then I drove off and left the mat on the ground. Have not been able to find a replacement like it yet. DW still not impressed.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #17
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkford1953 View Post
Same here. We have mid-kitchen with 2 slides. Sofa, panty and frig is in slide behind island sink. TV entertainment and dining table in opposite slide and TV is right across from island sink. We love our rear living room window. Can see the bay and watch the birds. 2 recliners in front of big window. When Jim is sitting in his recliner we can both enjoy the TV.

Jim built extra shelves in my pantry. They were deep and tall so he made a mid shelf. I used the FREE wooden paint stirrers from the big box dept stores for the lip of each shelf. But if pantries real full which I have a tenancy of doing I use the metal sliders. We Love our 5er.
Hadn't given it much thought but I guess ours is a bit different than most rear kitchen models in that we have the rear bay windows. There is lots of room to see outside between the upper cabinets and the countertop. Of course in some campgrounds we have used that view is the back of the rv behind us.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had a rear kitchen and no real problems. It was a heavier trailer, had torsion rubber suspension and shock absorbers.

If you get a trailer with a good suspension system with shock absorbers you will be better off. A light weight trailer and no shocks, you will get things shaken and rearranged a lot more.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #19

We have owned 2 rear kitchen units with no real problems either. We have hit some very rough sections on I90 and I don't care what unit you have things would have been scrambled. We do experience some shifting of items, but just have learned to pack to pretty much stop things from moving around over normal or average road conditions.

Don't fret over this issue as it is a non issue as far as we are concerned. Get the floor plan that speaks to you.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 PM   #20

We have RK in our 32' Copper Canyon, only issue we had was on a section of HY101 south of Seaside, OR. It was shortly after the road had flooded during heavy rain and there was one section really rough! Hit it at 45 mph, TV with new Bilstien 5100's did fine, the 5er looked lie it almost left the ground (no shocks on 5er), we wipped out all the door shelf's in the refer.

We then installed shocks on both axles of the 5er and have not had an issues since.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
on a section of HY101 south of Seaside, OR. It was shortly after the road had flooded during heavy rain and there was one section really rough! Hit it at 45 mph, TV with new Bilstien 5100's did fine, the 5er looked lie it almost left the ground (no shocks on 5er), we wipped out all the door shelf's in the refer.
I know the section you speak of. We were through there around that time too. Although fortunately for us, we were in a line up going about 25 mph, I was a cussin' under my breath...thank god for unanswered prayers.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:34 PM   #22

I think that RKs are like FLs, you either love them or hate them. But that's what makes the world go round, we're all different with different likes and dislikes.
We've seen a few RKs where it is impossible to get to the Fridge with the slides in, not our cup of tea. Have seen FLs where you have to use caution sitting down or getting up to avoid hitting the top of the slide out.
So for us we Love our RL, but if you love an RK go for it.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy5 View Post
We have owned a rear kitchen 5th wheel for the past 7 years with no problems. We have the Hensley Trailer Saver hitch which makes a difference though.

We have enjoyed the rear kitchen, but our next 5ver will be a triple slide rear living 5ver. Nothing wrong with the rear kitchen floor plan but now want to try something different...
Jim and I have the rear living and mid kitchen. We have really enjoy the floor
plan when it is opened but closed we can not get to the frig or table. Good thing we can get to the bathroom. Woo Hoo
mkford1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
We just upgraded to a 37RK 5'r... so much more storage space than our TT had. My biggest attraction to the RK is the open floor plan it offers...and with two big dogs that is a huge plus! Our TT had the large back window and I was sad to see that go..but in the end both slides have large windows. All in all the extra floor space, more windows, more counter space...and being able to get to things even with slides in.....it's an all around win.