Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 04:49 PM   #1

Receiver on 5th wheel tongue ?

I have read the disclaimers on various tongues on 5th wheels but I see a lot of people who have mounted their bike rack to the tongue.

Is there a particular brand that is too weak ?

Thanks, grassy
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

I don't think the strength of the pin boxes on the fivers is the question--rather, they are concerned with just what someone might do to modify them and in the process weaken the box.
Kind of the same thing with rear hitches--some say don't/won't, others will include one but limit drastically. The factory has no way to know what the owner will/could do after they take possession.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:14 AM   #3

I had thought that a couple of light bikes weakening the pin box was odd..and a bit far fetched. I was planning to attach it to the back of my cab but I am concerned that if I jackknife while backing up, I would take them out..I did measure and it was close..so this way is best..

Thanks..I shall proceed..

Grassy
Old 10-22-2015, 07:50 AM   #4

I would think that you would be better off pitting a bike rack on the bac of the 5er.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #5

I have about 10,000 miles on the back. No problem. Just remember they are there when backing up or passing.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #6
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
I had thought that a couple of light bikes weakening the pin box was odd..and a bit far fetched...

Grassy
I don't think it's the weight of the bikes that will weaken the pin box, but the holes you might have to drill to mount the bike rack.

If you're planning to mount bikes between your cab ant the front of the fiver, I'm guessing you have a long bed truck.

By the way, in almost 10 years of full-timing traveling all over the country, I have never seen bikes attached to the pin box of a fiver. Most people hang them from the ladder or mount them to the rear bumper.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #7

DW and I carry our bikes inside the 5r, clean and dry.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 06:36 AM   #8

Paz,

Good thought. In my mind, I am actually arc welding a hitch receiver to the pin box..and well as 2 tied downs to stop for/aft flex...so removing the carrier will be easy. Yes, long box. The rig is now in storage so I have some time to discover why this is a really bad idea. Your comments (and others) help me think this through.

My rig presently does not have a receiver on the rear and it doesn't look I could weld one to the bumper so some structure would have to be constructed. As well, the only rack I have found that my old person bikes can fit stats that it is not for the rear of a trailer..

We have done the inside storage thing..with the kids..but now we are on our own w/o the kids and doing much longer runs.. and it is a pin when overprinting on the road..

The front hitch thing maybe just a Canadian thing,.. I have seen 3 or 4..

I appreciate the help

Grassy
Old 10-23-2015, 10:13 AM   #9

If you have a bumper there are bike carriers that attach directly to the bumper bolt on. I had one worked just fine.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:31 PM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
If you have a bumper there are bike carriers that attach directly to the bumper bolt on. I had one worked just fine.
Yes, our daughter and son-in-law have a receiver adapter like this on their trailer. You can fit the bike rack of your choice to the adapter.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #11

I have a 2 bike carrier that clamps on the ladder.
You can have it for cost of shipping. Contact me at paradox1@capital dot net.
Ed
Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

Here is a picture and instructions on how to make..

Learn To RV: DIY Fifth Wheel Pin Box Bike Rack - pictures

Tags
5th wheel