RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #1

Redo cabinets due to water damage

My winter project is to redo the kitchen area due to minor water leakage. Fist time doing it in RV. Not first time for cabinetry.

Not decided on wood type yet. But was gonna add a tub underneath to catch minor water issues before it get to the wood.

Any other ideas?

Of course everything is under these cabinets. Water heater, water pump, ducted propane heater.

I plan to take pictures as I slowly disassemble. Planning on building frame work to attach side and trim work in case I need to repair something later on.

Any helpful suggestions? Videos for a first timer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2020, 09:46 AM   #2

Well most cabinets now days are made out of particleboard covered with vinyl film. I had two different spots with moisture damage. I used 1x oak to replace the frames I also used a Kreg pocket screw tool to screw together the frame.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #3

I don't understand the tub idea. I would build my own cabinets out of marine ply and hardwood framing ( oak ). Not use particleboard pre-made ones. I would consider premade cabinet doors from someplace like HD or Lowes. They are available separately. maybe solid countertops, Corian or similar.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:15 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Depends on how deep you want to get into this. I've done it both ways.

First one was clean, prime and paint existing cabinets and doors. Worked out ok, but over time the cheap stuff wore badly. Sold the trailer.

The next one was a teardown and rebuild with the help of a wood worker friend of mine. Came out great, took awhile due to weekend type project.

All of the trailers are pocket joined now. Good idea to get the tool for this.

You might try and get a cabinet build sheet and blueprints from the builder to assist you with putting it back together. Heck, you could change things to suit you more along the way.

Have fun!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #5

Remember,,,Weight....
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:33 PM   #6

Another option is to take a trip to Northern, IN and visit some RV overstock outlets. You will find rack's of cabinet doors to chose from for discounted prices. Some of my favorite stores are:
http://bontragers.com/
https://factoryrvsurplus.com/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 12:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Depends on how deep you want to get into this. I've done it both ways.

First one was clean, prime and paint existing cabinets and doors. Worked out ok, but over time the cheap stuff wore badly. Sold the trailer.

The next one was a teardown and rebuild with the help of a wood worker friend of mine. Came out great, took awhile due to weekend type project.

All of the trailers are pocket joined now. Good idea to get the tool for this.

You might try and get a cabinet build sheet and blueprints from the builder to assist you with putting it back together. Heck, you could change things to suit you more along the way.

Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast E View Post
Remember,,,Weight....

Well I found for the amount of material used, 1x Oak stock weighed about the same as the OEM particleboard. Most cabinetry is face frames with end panels. Upper cabinets have tops and bottoms.

As mentioned before having a Kreg pocket screw tool is a great help makes for a frame that can easily be changed at a later date. the tool is not that expensive and small enough to be carried with you.
Measure carefully and make nice clean cuts.

I have the $29.99 Kreg Jig R3 and it works great. the $39.99 is one step up. Mine also came with the drill, driver bit and screws.

https://www.kregtool.com/shop/pocket-hole-joinery/
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 03:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
Well most cabinets now days are made out of particleboard covered with vinyl film. I had two different spots with moisture damage. I used 1x oak to replace the frames I also used a Kreg pocket screw tool to screw together the frame.
I do have one of those. Now to find it.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
I don't understand the tub idea. I would build my own cabinets out of marine ply and hardwood framing ( oak ). Not use particleboard pre-made ones. I would consider premade cabinet doors from someplace like HD or Lowes. They are available separately. maybe solid countertops, Corian or similar.
Think bathtub tent bottom. Except I'd redirect the water to a drain. It would prevent water leaking uncontrollable.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:43 AM   #10

We may replace the counter top, but maybe not as it is in great shape. We will replace the sink for sure.

This trailer is the 2008 Cherokee WolfPack 295WP. Honestly, there is not a trailer currently made that we like more.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:18 PM   #11

HD GOOSE, still am one that dose not understand the 'tub' feature for water damage prevention, if it dose not create construction difficulty's go for it, but if you do quality renovations do you really need the 'tub' feature. Interesting comparison between particle board weight and solid wood, no reason to go cheap and gain weight. Doing this kitchen renovation may be a way to meld 'modern' into a stained wood motif if that's your bag. Many folks are tired of the 'typical' trailer woodie blah finishes. One feature I made in my kitchen was removing a molded plastic sink and replacing it with a 9 ""deep" square corner stainless sink, best kitchen improvement I made.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water damage