Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 06:53 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted above, the tires and frame are a bit light for a "full time" RV. This is two areas not to cut corners on a heavy RV. I looked at them and would not really consider one for full time use.

That is my nickels worth.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
As noted above, the tires and frame are a bit light for a "full time" RV. This is two areas not to cut corners on a heavy RV. I looked at them and would not really consider one for full time use.

That is my nickels worth.

Ken
Ken, I don't understand your comment! The tires on the Redwood are 16" not 15" as was mentioned in the post above, and the frame is 12" FIT (specially made for Redwood by Lippert). 12" is not strong enough for full time use? That is what DRV uses on their Select Suites, (12" Lippert frame, 7000 lb axles and 16" tires) and they weigh 1000 lb more! The only other company I was able to find using a 12" frame was Carriage. (And I looked at NuWa, Excel, etc but they do not say what they use) Most of the 5'rs out there (ie Montana, Heartland, Jayco etc) are using a 10" frame! I haven't heard of anyone yet who has stated that DRV units are not built for full time use!
The Mobile/Elite Suites do use a 15" frame, the only one I have been able to find on the web. So I guess you are saying that the only 5'r you would consider for full time is the Mobile or Elite Suites?
MariannRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariannRobin View Post
Ken, I don't understand your comment! The tires on the Redwood are 16" not 15" as was mentioned in the post above, and the frame is 12" FIT (specially made for Redwood by Lippert). 12" is not strong enough for full time use? That is what DRV uses on their Select Suites, (12" Lippert frame, 7000 lb axles and 16" tires) and they weigh 1000 lb more! The only other company I was able to find using a 12" frame was Carriage. (And I looked at NuWa, Excel, etc but they do not say what they use) Most of the 5'rs out there (ie Montana, Heartland, Jayco etc) are using a 10" frame! I haven't heard of anyone yet who has stated that DRV units are not built for full time use!
The Mobile/Elite Suites do use a 15" frame, the only one I have been able to find on the web. So I guess you are saying that the only 5'r you would consider for full time is the Mobile or Elite Suites?
Heartland does use on 12" frame on all their quad slide trailers and also on selected larger 3 three slide trailers. This includes Landmarks, Big horn and Big Country. I do not know if any others are included.

No idea what Montana or Jayco uses.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #32

Hoosier 5ver. One thing I've noticed over the last ten years is that manufactures tend to stick to the same size frame and use the same axles and suspension for all the floor plans within a given model line. That means that the longest model ends up with a minimal CCC. The axle weight is usually maxed out. If your going to actually travel alot get the shortest floor plan in a given model line. You'll get a more useable CCC and your frame and axles/brakes and suspension will be better suited for constant road work. If your only going to do the bi-annual snowbird migration, than it doesn't much matter what frame you get as it will spend 98% of its life sitting with jacks supporting the frame. Like boats you need to think about the mission before you buy the equipment. Gibbs
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:55 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look at the DRV's...15" frame!. It is double stack rectangular box section. Much stiffer than the Lippert frame.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #34

[I]Look at the DRV's...15" frame!. It is double stack rectangular box section. Much stiffer than the Lippert frame./I]

Yep & made by Lippert for DRV. DRV does not make their own frames on any of their RV's.

Reg
Old 12-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #35

NuWa sells the Redwood line of RV at the NuWa factory as they consider it a quality product but it does not compare in quality to their own Hitchhiker line of RVs.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Redwood RV

I just picked up a Redwood 31sl last weekend and towed it with my 2010 Ford F250 4.6l diesel with no problems, other than gas mileage due to the strong headwinds. The 31sl is certainly less weight than the 36 RL. The scale weight of the 31sl was 12,124 lbs.

Has any Redwood owners found the location for the slide out fuses? My bedroom slideout failed sometime between my walkthrough and bringing the unit home ~150 miles. Also blew a fuse on the Lippert auto level system. I located that fuse in the front compartment located on a wire bundle.

Thanks,
sinder
sinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, the fuse is located in the front battery compartment, on the wiring on the right hand side. It's an in-line fuse - run your hands along the wiring and you'll feel it about half way up in the back. It's a 10 amp fuse. I replaced it and just ordered a manual 10 amp reset breaker for $2.50 and will install it when it arrives. Other than that, Love our Redwood 36RL! The fit and finish are among the best.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #38

A little off topic but I asked the forum admins if they would add a "Redwood" category the Thor Industries section of the forum. They replied that if they received enough Redwood related topics or requests they would consider it. So come on you Redwood owners, let's see if we can generate enough traffic to get our own forum page.
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #39

36RL

No, ours wasn't a repo. He just wanted to go back to a toy hauler. We are full time right now while we remodel a home. I'm taking it back to the dealer next month for warranty work. We've had quite a few problems. Hot water tank doesn't work on electric, the water pump quit last week. Entry floor has a bubble in it. Bedroom slide has a bind in it. More problems than we had with the Montana, but worth everyone. The more I'm in it, the more we love it. Larry
lgarroutte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #40

Hoosier 5ver, when looking for any rv it's important to consider the dealers service department. Rvs are very complicated, don't sign for that rv until you have tried everything. If its your first, it would be good to take a experienced rv owner with you to the walk thru. I wouldn't pull it off the lot until all the obvious adjustments are made. This is because the first time you stay over night in it you will find more details that need attention. Then there's the changes or improvements you may find you need added. So look at your dealers service department before you buy. You'll be dependent on them to fulfill your rving needs. Gibbs
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #41

Are there any people with experience with a good service center on the west coast for Redwoods? Redwood rep wants to send us a full day out of our way into some of the worst traffic California has to offer but would much prefer norCal, Oregon or southern Washington since we are headed that way and on a tight schedule. We have several plumbing leaks and a roof leak plus some leaking stabilizers that need attention. Considering how little we have used the rig, this is a little disappointing, but not nearly as disappointing as the Redwood service and dealer channel so far. Any recommendations?
kfdray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:23 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNite View Post
Heartland does use on 12" frame on all their quad slide trailers and also on selected larger 3 three slide trailers. This includes Landmarks, Big horn and Big Country. I do not know if any others are included.

No idea what Montana or Jayco uses.

12" also on larger Cedar Creek's.
rmalikone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heartland, rvs