Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #1

Unhappy Reese not MADE in USA

I recently purchased a REESE R20 Titan fifth wheel hitch. In the owners manual it sais it was printed in China. I called REESE and found out that most of their fiver hitches are made in Mexico but the head for this one was made in China. The first Reese guy I talked with said they would not tell me where there stuff was made and that I should just trust the REESE name. A later call got the information for me. Had I known this before buying I would have probably gone with the Pullrite ISR or waited for the B&W RAM OEM both of which are completely USA.
crewstx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Too bad but not exactly surprising.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Everything is being made in china these days, even multi-thousand dollar yachts.
They are american companies with chinese labor. A lot of stuff is good, some of it bad. Don't judge the product by where it's made...unless it says Germany...then you know it's good. LOL.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:32 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Carhardtt hat which has STRENGTH IN AMERCA emblazoned on the front, to my surprise, made in Mexico. Nice quality hat does everything I want a hat to do.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
My Carhardtt hat which has STRENGTH IN AMERCA emblazoned on the front, to my surprise, made in Mexico. Nice quality hat does everything I want a hat to do.
Cool. An interesting point however if one really thinks a bit deeper or from the broad perspective, actually Mexico is in "America" as being in one of the American continents, just as Germany is in Europe and China is in Asia etc.

I know it is a play on words but when we speak of Europeans we think of people from Europe, and Asians are people from Asia yet when we say Americans or use the term "America", most people think of USA.

The term "American Indian" refers to aboriginals in the Americas.

Go figure.

But made in China implies inferior most of the time to me, but perhaps it is not inferior all of the time and making an "American Flag" in "China" - and selling it in America AKA USA, somehow does not seem right to me.

Just stuff to think about. LoL
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:53 AM   #6

Recently Congress passed a bill requiring DOD buy only flags made in USA. But they said the rest of the government would still buy flags made elsewhere as the ones made here were too expensive.

I have to believe that with all our automation capabilities we ought to be able to sew a flag competitively.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:34 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think we best get used to a LOT of things not being made in the States anymore. JMHO

A solution may be, if you have your receipt then send it back.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgreenacres View Post
Bob Villa had a tv program on using used shipping containers from communist red China and turning them into homes. What is the USA becoming?
I remember those episodes. Part of the issue was, probably still is, that the US imports a lot more than it exports. Thus the excess of shipping containers.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:31 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
I was disappointed when I went to Parris Island to watch my nephew graduate from USMC Boot Camp. I purchased a flag in the commisary, went beck to the CG & while hoisting it up the pole on my MH, I noticed a "Made in China" tag. What the He@#?
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #10

Metal Fab in Mexico is nothing new. Hitch parts, headers and other steel components have been made in Mexico for more than 30 years. In some cases the parts are machined or formed in the USA and then welded in Mexico. But as Mexico has progressed they are able to engineer, form and do final production. Some manufacturers have their own plants in Mexico. QC is equal or better than in the USA. The Ford plant in Mexico has the highest QC rating of any Ford plant in N.A. Many of the electrical components in autos, appliances, airplanes and more are made in Mexico. The frame rails ( maybe even the whole frame) for FL RV chassis are made in Mexico. Dodge PU's with the Cummins are assembled in Mexico.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #11
laj

does it really matter? if it works well, does what you want and need, and at a price you can live with I wouldn't worry about
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
does it really matter? if it works well, does what you want and need, and at a price you can live with I wouldn't worry about
x2 !! It's a global economy...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It matters, we need the jobs in the USA.

I will not knowingly consume foods linked to China or Vietnam due to filth.

Prior to my retirement I ran a manufacturing facility that went heads-up with Chinese facilities in the same corporation, same product. Many components forced upon me were sub-standard. I returned then to central purchasing who sent them to my sister plants. Our quality was head and shoulders above the "C" and profitability was "Stellar" best in the division.

edit: Sorry for the rant, it's a hot button, at least WAL-MART is claiming a turn around plan on China content.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
And I retired after 26 years in the military, losing friends along the way. Good luck purchasing anything that is not made, in some part, from another country's labor or materials. During my time in service, as a direct representative of DOD to certain "communist countries", I worked on DOD's behalf to purchase items they made so as to endear their economy to the United States. It's amazing what an impact it can have on their ideology when we tell them we want to buy 500 washing machines (for example), and telling them we want it now, not in 5 years as part of their planned production program.

There comes a time to let it go...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote