Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2020, 06:35 PM   #1

Smile Reese Revolution hitching difficulty

We have a 20K Reese rail type hitch and a Revolution (sidewinder) pinbox. If the truck isnt lined up perfectly then no go!. We are looking for a solution. A new hitch? A new pinbox? We have a 2018 Ram 2500 6.5 ft. bed. 9500lb. triple slide 34' fiver. Ive looked at the Anderson but have trust issues from what Ive read. Thoughts anyone?
SteveZemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #2

That's the down side to the revolution pin box. It can be a pain to get hooked up. You have to back into the pin box at the same angle that you unhitched. The upside is the pivot point is moved back 22". Great for short bed trucks. After you learn to deal with it I think you will like it. I did. If not you can always remove the wedge and install the two bolts to lock it in a fixed position.
old mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:45 PM   #3

The 'wedge' on pin box is problem.
The Hitch must line up to allow the wedge to slip into place on hitch.
Can be a real PITA to get hitch & wedge lined up.....especially if wedge is NOT installed correctly (long end/short end---cut out up/down etc)

Different wedges available....might check with Reese
https://www.reeseprod.com/products/p...m1FiUaAxuAa4W4

Lock-out the pin box by installing the 3/4"bolts/conical washer/nuts in back of turret (torgue to 275 #/ft)
Remove wedge and then try hitching up. Should be easier.

Set up will be just like a standard hitch/pin box....just have to be aware of turning radius and possibility of hitting back of cab/front cap of trailer

Otherwise....sliding hitch
(pin box locked out/wedge removed----turns it into a standard pin box)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 12:40 AM   #4

Pretty much the same problem with my PullRite auto slider......I added a camera aimed at the hitch and pin.....I carry a trice scooter on a platform that blocks my view....and some Sidewinders move easy and some don't.....custom wedge is the way to go....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:19 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum. If you do decide to use an Andersen hitch, you will be forced to lock out the pivoting function of your Sidewinder and convert it into a standard pin box. If you are willing to do this, you might as well use the hitch you have if the only issue is the hook-up alignment.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #6

But hooking up is his problem. I moved from a travel trailer to a 5th wheel and can't believe has easy it is to hook up and go - on a tilt, uneven ground, at an angle, etc. But then I have the Andersen hitch. After watching my buddy struggle with his conventional 5th wheel hitch I really like my Andersen.
flashman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #7

Not sure why the distrust for the Andersen. Going into my thrird season on mine. I love that it hangs on the wall in front of truck when not in use too.
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #8

Thank you all for your helpful responses! I have since done much more research and the Anderson hitch appears to be our choice. I am hoping I do not have to swap out my Reese Revolution pin box. Hopefully I can just remove the wedge and lock it down. I will need to have the gooseneck prep done to the bed of the truck. Heck. It's only money right? Haha
SteveZemba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:51 AM   #9

The steel andersen can be purchased such that it fits in standard rails. I beleive the Pull Rit can can be purcahsed that way too.
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #10

The Andersen hitch could be your answer. I have 50,000+ miles of trouble-free towing on an Andersen under my belt. It's quiet, smooth easy to hitch and unhitch and to install and remove. Don't listen to the haters - most of whom have probably never seen one in person, let alone towed with one.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
The Andersen hitch could be your answer. I have 50,000+ miles of trouble-free towing on an Andersen under my belt. It's quiet, smooth easy to hitch and unhitch and to install and remove. Don't listen to the haters - most of whom have probably never seen one in person, let alone towed with one.
I have a DRV though my pin weight seems to be over the Anderson limit. How heavy is your pin weight?
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGlen View Post
I have a DRV though my pin weight seems to be over the Anderson limit. How heavy is your pin weight?
RVGlen, We also have a DRV - MS39DBRS3 that grosses about 21K lbs. The Andersen is rated for 24,000 lbs tow weight and 4,500 pin. You should be fine.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Explorers View Post
RVGlen, We also have a DRV - MS39DBRS3 that grosses about 21K lbs. The Andersen is rated for 24,000 lbs tow weight and 4,500 pin. You should be fine.
Not per my weigh in. My pin weight is 5,420 lbs which would exceed the Anderson 4,500. When loaded my RV was 21,180 lbs so the pin is about 25.5%. I wouldn't mine trying the Anderson hitch though I'm not even close to the limit.
RVGlen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
revolution