Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2020, 12:53 PM   #15

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
I tow with a Standard Cab RAM 3500 dually diesel, it has a payload capacity of over 6000 lbs. try that with the big Mega cab trucks.
My f350 crew cab lb will come close. Door sticker says 5650 payload.
ac5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 02:07 PM   #16

I'm a fan of the regular cab look with the long bed. Plus it is a more capable truck. But my frame likes the extended cab for extra room. Too bad extended cabs are becoming a thing of the past.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:33 PM   #17

KZ RV Club
Short answer, Yes that truck should be fine. When towing length is you friend, longer is stabler. Shot bed MAY have clearance issue between front of 5W and back of cab. Diesel will have more toque than gas & torque is also a friend towing.

Down side of longer (or wider= duelly) will be harder to find parking as most striped lots are for smaller vehicle. The plus here is you park in never never land and get exercise walking to the store.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:54 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac5501 View Post
My f350 crew cab lb will come close. Door sticker says 5650 payload.
My sticker says 6591 to be exact for my Ram 3500 DRW Standard cab 2WD.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:11 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
While many others are telling you all the reasons why you really must have, can't live without, don't even think about it, you'll regret it for the rest of your life, if you don't get an extended cab of some sort - I'm going to assume that you're already aware that those trucks exist and that you already know that you really just want a standard cab truck, and answer your question.

The size of the cab has nothing to do with whether or not it can tow a fifth wheel. In fact, one could argue that the extra cab reduces the size of the trailer you can tow due to the overall weight of the truck itself. And a longer cab often means a shorter bed, which makes it easier to ding the back of the cab against the front of the trailer when doing a really short turn when back in to a site.
So, the size of the cab matters not, what matters is that the truck has the carrying capacity for the trailer you're wanting it to pull.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I am the outlaw on these sites! What you need to consider when choosing a truck is TQ/HP, Wheel base (this determines the ride quality), Gross axle loading numbers and tire loading numbers. As an example a short bed Ram Mega Cab (for the year 2008) has a longer wheel base than a Regular cab long bed truck of the same year. So, the Megs Cab has a better ride do to length of wheel base and stability!

As long as you do not exceed the maximum axle weights and tire load capacity and you are license for the maximum load (truck plate) than DOT does not care! It is only the weight police on these sites that care!
^^^ Yeah what he said. That set up will be able to yank that down the road no problem, but with the shorter wheel base it will result in a rougher ride. I would think it would porpoise a lot more than a truck with a longer wheel base. Maybe go drive the one you want over some rough roads & then drive a crew cab to see how much difference there is. Amplify that by 2 or 3 times & that will give you a little idea of what it will be like pulling a 5th wheel.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:43 PM   #21

KZ RV Club
see #17 I explained every one of them & agreed with jimcumminsw. The truck will work, just not the best choice. Only 19,000 miles last year with 35ft 14K 5W.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:12 AM   #22
IC2

I've towed 5ers with regular, super and crew cab trucks, short and long bed as well. Currently I'm using a CCLB. Great truck, but the super cab would habe been just as nice. Turning/backing radius for the CCLB is horrible and has kept us out of several campgrounds nationwide while a shorter wheelbase regular or super cab would have worked.

Then there are those narrow lane parking lots that I need to park in the back 40 due to length and turning radius.

Capacity wise, that truck you picked will do a credible job. If it's a short bed, you may need a slider hitch.

I am a 'lover' of the long bed as it is a bit more stable towing. I also like a back seat for more leg room and seat reclining plus the two pups have their own space along with room for our odds and ends that we might need without stopping.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:12 PM   #23

I love my 2017 F250 Power Stroke 2WD regular cab, hand crank windows, pull up push down door locks and rubber floor. I am a miminalist. Always have been. Replaced a 2000 Chevy C2500 exactly the set up the same way.

Its a great truck and a Power stroke for only $37,000 used like new with 15,700 miles on it when we got her.

I would highly recomend a 3/4 ton over a half ton, even though the Eagle HT is rated for half ton. Better brakes and higher load capacity will make your RV adventures much more enjoyable.

Just my two cents worth.

Can't find the pictuers I took of my truck. Stock ford pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_ford_f-250-super-duty_regular-cab-pickup_xl_tds_evox_3_815.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	272120  
Madwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRum View Post
I will be buying a small Keystone Cougar 27SGS 1/2 Ton capable 5th wheel with a 8,000 GW 1,500 Hitch weight and was wondering if a regular cab Ram 2500 Tradesman would be suitable (Or if any regular cab is suitable) for towing a 5th wheel?... It seems to be well within specs of the tow/cargo capacity but I wonder why I never see these pulling a 5th wheel?... I’m not really a truck person don’t need the back seat and want the smallest vehicle possible...

Here is an example:

I suspect that you might have discovered this by now, but the Dry Weight (8,065 lbs) is a meaningless number. The GVWR of the 2019 Keystone 27SGS is 10,290 lbs, which is what should be used when searching for a truck.
FWIW, in my crew cab, I have found that I use the back seat for cargo a lot more than I ever thought I would.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #25

Regular cab Long wheel base and a hauler body. Cut and fab one like i did or buy one and have it edited to suit your needs. All that back seat storage of a crew cab but useable storage for anything and everything. I have one compartment for duffelbags, groceries etc and the rest is all the stuff normally in a car paseenger compartment.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
^^^ Yeah what he said. That set up will be able to yank that down the road no problem, but with the shorter wheel base it will result in a rougher ride. I would think it would porpoise a lot more than a truck with a longer wheel base. Maybe go drive the one you want over some rough roads & then drive a crew cab to see how much difference there is. Amplify that by 2 or 3 times & that will give you a little idea of what it will be like pulling a 5th wheel.
Be careful on the weight police. the LEO's of Oklahoma are taking exception with RV's throwing them on scales. They even changed state law to include any vehicle on any road and any officer can do it. No scales fine lets go to a scale house and we can weigh you there. Seen a few fines and they were outrageous. Even court and a request for lowering of fine didnt work as intended. Busting chops is only word when comes to weight. They like that little sticker on the door jamb and scales tell the tale.

Need a warrant to look at door jamb one might think. Here comes the game warden who dont need it. Heard about it seen it and its a cash cow for the state. Simply through enforcement of a law on the books for like 20 years. be careful!
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:39 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We pull a 8000# 5er with a 1500 Ram with hemi, 8 speed std cab. 10100# cap, and 1500# pin weight. No problems.

Tags
5th wheel