Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #1

Regular gas station or truck stop?

I've just started pulling my new 5ver; I've had many Airstreams over the years.
My new 5th wheel is just shy of 13'
So far I've been using truck lanes at truck stops to fill my pickup; as I'm worried about the overhead heights at regular gas stations.

What do you use?
Am I worried for no reason?

Thanks,
Ron
rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 04:45 PM   #2

When I had a 5th wheel, I used regular stations. Now I use truck lanes, but only because of my length.
Old 05-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

The most important thing to memorize is the height of your rig. Lay a long 2x4 across the highest point (Usually the A/C) then measure. Add 6 inches to be on the safe side and when you go to fill up, look at the overhead covering the gas pumps and "usually" they have a Max height posted. It's not uncommon for me to pull into a regular gas station vs a truck stop and my coach is 13' tall.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:46 PM   #4

Except for some very old stations, most stations especially along major highways are not going to have a height issue. Especially if they sell diesel. This might depend on where you live, but in the West there are so many tall cargo vans and pickups pulling flatbed trailers with tall loads, a low roof wouldn't last long before being damaged. I focus more on maneuvering room around the pumps rather than height concerns.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #5

My new 5th wheel is only 35' long, short enough to be somewhat maneuverable at gas stations. I'm just scared when I don't see any posted max height signs.
Thanks for your input
rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:02 PM   #6

How do you guys ever use regular gas stations? Out of 12 pumps you have to find the diesel pump. Most of the time you need to pull in facing the store with cars parked in your escape path.

I always use truck stops with I traveled.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:15 PM   #7

One thing to keep in mind is some truck pumps may have a higher price due to tax differences between commercial and noncommercial use. This can vary by state.
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:24 PM   #8

And, some trucks turn sharper then others....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:25 PM   #9

I use GasGuru mostly now and find a reasonable price up ahead. Then check it out to see if a) price is correct and b) if I can get in without a real problem. Have been into many fuel stations--WM/Sams/Costco, etc--that can be tight but doable. Sometimes my wife has to get out and make sure all is clear to back out.
Google Earth can help a lot on this.
Usually don't have any problem seeing which pumps are diesel--just look for a green nozzle handle (careful--up north, seems the green handles aren't always diesel, some times they are yellow like ethanol down here in TX) or for a pump with 2 hoses on same side. Sometimes I luck out and there is a DIESEL sign on the pumps.
If it looks too low, pass it by--or if there is a dent in the facade....
You'll get the hang of it as time goes on.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 07:57 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I drive a Gas Motor home.

I have seen some gas stations where I do not want to pull under the cover.. Many where I have.

One "Trick" and this has other advantages as well is to always pick an "Outside" pump These are often not covered and there is no car parked next to you giving you more room to get outta there.

One station I very much liked I made a half turn off one road. pulled into the last pump island (outside) .. Filled up and then straight forward to clear the station and another half turn onto the cross road.> Very nice. Wish more were like that.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #11

KZ RV Club
Gas Buddy and always regular stations, current spread 3.09-3.49. You will always pay more at truck stops to gain room. Even with GS discounts stations will normally be cheaper. Clearance on most coaches is just over 13ft, semi & box trucks 13ft 6in. Like someone said stations plan for tall vehicle, back east watch bridge heights they are posted.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #12

Most gas stations have a sign right on the awning saying 13'6", my trailer is 13'4" tall, add the cantilever action driving up and down the pad that makes it to risky for me. Besides, regular gas stations were built for "regular" size vehicles and how could I possibly back out in case if ....

Most truck stops are a rip off for the average Joe.

I have an aux. tank, that allows me to carry a total of 155 gal. - problem solved plus I saved almost $100 on Saturday by being able to shop for the lowest price. Getting out with the tail swing of a 43' trailer would have been impossible.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #13

We use Pilot/Flying j, most of the Flying j's & some Pilot's have rv pumps separate, we have a rv plus fuel card through Pilot/Flying j, we get 8cent discount on fuel with Goodsam card
Old 05-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #14

Regular gas station or truck stop?

I have a 43’ MH and a Wrangler.
I would like to fill up at P/FJ or Loves, but I can’t give up my savings of 30 to 60 DOLLARS per 100 gallons at regular stations. 8 cents is 8 bucks. Come on!
Yes, I get in and out easily ever since I lost the fear by studying the CDL manual and practicing.
Haven’t found a station clearance under 15 feet.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas