Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2014, 05:37 PM   #1

Regulations

I own a 39' Heartland 5th wheel & am considering pulling a small trailer behind it with an ATV. I live in Oregon & was told that this was not legal. The other day I ran into a retired couple who live in Oregon were pulling a 5th wheel with their jeep behind the 5th wheel. I asked them how they were doing this since it wasn't legal in Oregon. They told me that it was legal in all fifty states as long as you had a valid Commercial Drivers License. They had some paper work from either the Department of Transportation or from CDL license agent of which I have lost the info. Would anyone out there have any info on this subject?
TJ Lasich is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:52 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Check here State Towing Laws for RVs for RV towing laws by state. It says it's not legal in Oregon but I'm sure it doesn't address the CDL question.

This one http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide...ple_towing.php seems to address the CDL issue and if I read it right, they say the feds want no part of regulating non commercial applications so they leave these things up to the states. This would seem to refute what you were told about it being legal in all 50 states with a CDL.

Are you really considering going through the CDL process in order to triple tow? It's pretty involved to get and maintain.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #3

Not sure what that guy was referring to, but most states have a 65' MAX combo length. And that is what OR says also. And no triple tow also.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:26 PM   #4
KIX

As I understand the Florida regulations.........you would have to be a commercial carrier AND the driver must be CDL licensed. So, you're down to at most 49 states now.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

Evergreen Owners Club
From...oregon.gov

Number of Vehicles in combination without
special permits:
A vehicle may tow only one vehicle or trailer in
Oregon (a two-vehicle combination ORS 818.110).
Some states allow towing more than one trailer or
vehicle by non-commercial vehicles. Permits are
not allowed in Oregon for towing more than one
trailer or vehicle except for commercially titled and
registered vehicles.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #6

In Indiana, the only way to tow doubles is: your tow vehicle, your 5er, and boat trailer. No other 2nd trailer is legal.
Your drivers license issued by your home state is legal (reciprocal) in all others. Road rules are not reciprocal. That also applies to CDL holders. Some states allow triple-towing, Indiana does not, so truckers must drop the third trailer before entering Indiana.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Lasich View Post
I own a 39' Heartland 5th wheel & am considering pulling a small trailer behind it with an ATV. I live in Oregon & was told that this was not legal. The other day I ran into a retired couple who live in Oregon were pulling a 5th wheel with their jeep behind the 5th wheel. I asked them how they were doing this since it wasn't legal in Oregon. They told me that it was legal in all fifty states as long as you had a valid Commercial Drivers License. They had some paper work from either the Department of Transportation or from CDL license agent of which I have lost the info. Would anyone out there have any info on this subject?
I think those people ought to take another look at what they are doing.....it is not legal in Oregon
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:38 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a thread about double towing.
Some states allow it, Some do not
The solution for one person was a stacker trailer (Tows his boat above his Jeep) but for many (Me for example) that would put me so far over the tow limits of my motor home that the word Reckless would apply (For others,, it's well within the tow limits so this is not a "Weight Police" post). Recommendation. tow a light weight pick up with the ATV in the bed of the truck, there are many that can be towed 4-down with the aid of a drive shaft disconnect from Remco Towing.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
There is a thread about double towing.
Some states allow it, Some do not
The solution for one person was a stacker trailer (Tows his boat above his Jeep) but for many (Me for example) that would put me so far over the tow limits of my motor home that the word Reckless would apply (For others,, it's well within the tow limits so this is not a "Weight Police" post). Recommendation. tow a light weight pick up with the ATV in the bed of the truck, there are many that can be towed 4-down with the aid of a drive shaft disconnect from Remco Towing.
I think you misread the OP's question. He is towing a 39' 5er, so I hope you are NOT recommending that he tow a pick up with the ATV behind the 5er.
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
So why don't you check with DOT or the CDL license agent and get the facts???
Old 11-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo5er View Post
I think you misread the OP's question. He is towing a 39' 5er, so I hope you are NOT recommending that he tow a pick up with the ATV behind the 5er.
You are very correct, I mis-read, or rather mis-replied.

no, I should have said:
Trade the 5-er in on a motor home, THEN tow a pickup with the ATV in the bed.

OR: trade the 5ER in on a 5er toy hauler and haul the ATV toy. That would work too.