Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 AM   #1
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I recently installed a remote control unit to operate the landing gear on my 5th wheel trailer and have found it to be a very helpful and useful addition to the rig. The unit is called a "Zaxis" and is manufactured by Westhaver Associates, Inc. in Columbia, MD.

The "Zaxis" unit simplifies the difficult and time consuming trial and error process of hitching and unhitching the trailer. No longer will I need several attempts before obtaining the correct kingpin height for hitching. Using the "Zaxis" landing gear remote control transmitter, I can conveniently raise or lower the trailer's landing gear from the cab of my truck.

The transmitter is a key fob style and I have attached it to my key ring making it conveniently available either in the cab, outside the rig, or inside the trailer to adjust the fore and aft level. I installed the receiver in a utility area of the trailer's storage area that was in close proximity to the original manual landing gear switch. It's hard wired to the existing landing gear circuit.

My "Zaxis" has a security system that insures only my key fob transmitter will operate the landing gear, preventing anyone else with a "Zaxis" in a crowded RV park from operating my landing gear. Each transmitter goes through a "learning" setup process to train it to be recognized by the receiver. Once done, only that key fob transmitter will be recognized by the receiver.

Installing the "Zaxis" was a snap and should be an easy job for most of us who enjoy tinkering with our rigs. In their manual, Westhaver Associates suggests that you have the unit installed by a competent TV technician. In my case, that was me.

Choosing a location with convenient access seemed to be the largest criteria to the installation, I put mine on the inside of the lower front wall next to the back side of the manual switch. The wiring merely involves cutting into the existing 12 volt power source leading to the OEM landing gear rocker switch and connecting the resulting wires to a terminal board located on the "Zaxis". Two additional wires are then run from the terminals labeled "motor" to the landing gear's motor and you're done.

I've used the "Zaxis" while hitching and unhitching several times and have found it makes the process much easier and convenient. It eliminates climbing in and out of the cab to make small height adjustments with the manual switch. The OEM landing gear switch continues to work as always allowing its use if necessary.

Westhaver Associates are advertisers on iRV2 and are offering the "Zaxis" to iRV2 members at a reduced cost.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2004, 06:02 AM   #2

Appalachian Campers
I recently installed a remote control unit to operate the landing gear on my 5th wheel trailer and have found it to be a very helpful and useful addition to the rig. The unit is called a "Zaxis" and is manufactured by Westhaver Associates, Inc. in Columbia, MD.

The "Zaxis" unit simplifies the difficult and time consuming trial and error process of hitching and unhitching the trailer. No longer will I need several attempts before obtaining the correct kingpin height for hitching. Using the "Zaxis" landing gear remote control transmitter, I can conveniently raise or lower the trailer's landing gear from the cab of my truck.

The transmitter is a key fob style and I have attached it to my key ring making it conveniently available either in the cab, outside the rig, or inside the trailer to adjust the fore and aft level. I installed the receiver in a utility area of the trailer's storage area that was in close proximity to the original manual landing gear switch. It's hard wired to the existing landing gear circuit.

My "Zaxis" has a security system that insures only my key fob transmitter will operate the landing gear, preventing anyone else with a "Zaxis" in a crowded RV park from operating my landing gear. Each transmitter goes through a "learning" setup process to train it to be recognized by the receiver. Once done, only that key fob transmitter will be recognized by the receiver.

Installing the "Zaxis" was a snap and should be an easy job for most of us who enjoy tinkering with our rigs. In their manual, Westhaver Associates suggests that you have the unit installed by a competent TV technician. In my case, that was me.

Choosing a location with convenient access seemed to be the largest criteria to the installation, I put mine on the inside of the lower front wall next to the back side of the manual switch. The wiring merely involves cutting into the existing 12 volt power source leading to the OEM landing gear rocker switch and connecting the resulting wires to a terminal board located on the "Zaxis". Two additional wires are then run from the terminals labeled "motor" to the landing gear's motor and you're done.

I've used the "Zaxis" while hitching and unhitching several times and have found it makes the process much easier and convenient. It eliminates climbing in and out of the cab to make small height adjustments with the manual switch. The OEM landing gear switch continues to work as always allowing its use if necessary.

Westhaver Associates are advertisers on iRV2 and are offering the "Zaxis" to iRV2 members at a reduced cost.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:17 AM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
The transmitter is a key fob style and I have attached it to my key ring making it conveniently available either in the cab, outside the rig, or inside the trailer to adjust the fore and aft level. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Hitchhiker. Glad you're happy with your ZAXIS. Just one additional note, the key fob transmitter has a Quick Disconnect Clip so that it can be easily clipped and un-clipped from your keychain. This makes it convenient to use the key fob while your keys remain in the ignition.

Westhaver Associates, Inc.
WesWesthaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 04:54 PM   #4

What is the special price being offered to iRV2 members?

Gary McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 03:24 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Gary,

They list for $289.95 but are $149.99 to iRV2 members.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:52 AM   #6

Does this unit have the Automatic level feature and automatic rehookup height function?
jking2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
jking2000,

This system operates the landing gear on the 5th wheel trailer simplifying the difficult and time consuming trial and error process of hitching and unhitching the trailer. It eliminates several attempts before obtaining the correct kingpin height for hitching. It doesn't have an automatic level feature and automatic re hookup height function.

There is a system available from SmartJaks, Inc. that will set the jack position in memory and return to that position at any time. It then returns to that position when you're ready to hook back up. It'll also automatically level your 5'er with the touch of a button. Unfortunately, that unit's introductory price at $499 is several times the "Zaxis" price of $149.99.

An automatic level and automatic re hookup height function would be nice, not sure I want to cough up nearly $500 for it though.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:36 AM   #8

FYI: the ZAXIS uses a Wireless remote control that clips to your keychain.

The SmartJaks remote control is on a long cord that must be stowed after each use.

Gary & jking2000: If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to talk to you about the ZAXIS!

Old 12-30-2004, 08:29 AM   #9

How hard is it to install in a Citation Fifth Wheel. Will you be at the DC RV Show this January?
jking2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:44 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jking2000:
How hard is it to install in a Citation Fifth Wheel. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
jking2000, I posted a wiring diagram and some instructions in this thread:

ZAXIS Installation

The installation is pretty straight forward. I can't say how hard it will be to install in your particular rig because I'm not familiar with its layout.

You will need to find a flat vertical surface somewhere in the basement area of your 5'er to mount the ZAXIS receiver. I haven't seen a 5th wheel yet that lacked the room needed for the ZAXIS. Where you mount the ZAXIS is dictated by the available space in your rig and your willingness to run the necessary wiring.

Take a look at some of the customer installs on the ZAXIS web page. You'll see that it isn't difficult.

Give me a call at 443-538-7819 if you have any other questions. I'd be glad to discuss the ZAXIS with you.

Old 12-31-2004, 02:36 AM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Installing the "Zaxis" is a breeze and should be an easy job for most who enjoy tinkering with their rigs. I put mine in in less than 45 minutes which including walking back and forth to the workshop a half dozen times fetching various tools.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #12

Could Zaxis be hooked up to an electric tongue jack? Something like:
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...33&prodID=2854

Thx,
Jim
Old 01-26-2005, 02:42 PM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RhinoYahoo:
Could Zaxis be hooked up to an electric tongue jack? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, I'm going to quote the ZAXIS FAQ for a moment: "The ZAXIS Landing Gear Remote Control is at its core an extremely secure, momentary contact, reversible polarity, remote control with high power handling capability. It can be used to provide momentary normal and reverse polarity power to any 12 volt load up to 30 amps. This means that you could use the ZAXIS to remotely control other RV systems such as electric tongue jacks, reversible hydraulic pumps, electric gate valves etc."

When using the ZAXIS with an electric tongue jack, the only difficulty that I can see is the need to disassemble the motor cover to access the tongue jack's switch and internal wiring. Once you have access to the wiring, the ZAXIS can be attached in exactly the same fashion as when using it with a 5th wheel's landing gear motor. And, the tongue jack's built-in switch should continue to operate normally.

The ZAXIS receiver should still be installed in a protected area inside the trailer with the wiring harness extending out to the tongue jack.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to contact me.