Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2018, 11:03 PM   #1

Removable Hitch recommendations

I'm interested in your experiences and recommendations on removable hitches (20K) suitable for a '18 Chevy 3500HD (pre-drilled bed & pucks). I have a line on a B&W Companion, but will need to add the mounting hardware. Looking at other options before making the call. Thanks in advance for your replies.
deputykevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2018, 11:27 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I have a B&W Companion. Towed 70K+ miles in 6 years with it. No complaints. Great hitch.

The only hitch I would consider to replace it would be Comfort Ride model 245. Uses air cells instead of air bags.

http://www.comfortridehitch.com/hi_model_245.html

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #3
IC2

We also have the B&W hitch and have used it in two ways - with their Turnover syatem in the last truck then the Ford puck system in the current truck with only replacing the base. Since 2009, the hitch has about 50,000 trouble free miles, hauling 12,000 pound fivers. The sig map says most of where it has been. It is in or out of the truck in about 10 minutes.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 AM   #4

I just ordered a B&W hitch with the puck system for my 2018 Chevy. RVK3700 for under $1k delivered. It should be a drop in hitch with the factory puck system.

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:23 AM   #5

I have a 2015 F350 and need complete access to my bed when we camp/tow. When we were looking at moving from a TT to a 5th wheel it was a major concern for our particular situation.

We looked at "conventional" 5th wheel hitches with B&W being highest on our list but the idea of taking apart then lifting a 100+ lb hitch every single time wasn't something we wanted to do. We then looked at the Andersen offering and while the weight was certainly doable the bolting/torquing every time wasn't appealing.

We ended up replacing the kingpin on the 5th wheel with a Reese Goose Box. It is an approved kingpin for our trailer and did not affect the warranty. It uses air suspension and shock absorbers which turns out is a huge bonus.

The best thing is we only have to put in/take out a ball in a matter of moments. I would highly recommend looking into this alternative to the conventional hitch.

They come in a 16K and a 20k, here is a link to the 20;

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/pi...aYyqOMivlF4Kt9
Old 06-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #6

Hitch

+1 for the comfort ride. It's cushioned but does not rely on air so no air leaks.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputykevin View Post
I'm interested in your experiences and recommendations on removable hitches (20K) suitable for a '18 Chevy 3500HD (pre-drilled bed & pucks). I have a line on a B&W Companion, but will need to add the mounting hardware. Looking at other options before making the call. Thanks in advance for your replies.
We have been having similar thoughts. My experience has been with the conventional Reece 5th wheel that mounts on two rails in the truck bed. It broke down into three parts, still heavy for arthritic old gummers and the rails made the bed uneven.

Looking at the Companion but still heavy at 150 plus pounds to remove regularly and if it is like the gooseneck ball, needs lube on the square post regularly or it seems it would corrode in place making it harder to remove.

Reading here, the Anderson conversion can cause frame damage to the camper.

Reece gooseneck conversion is harder to hook up, and has airbags to deal with but leaves the truck bed flat, camper maufacturers won't void you warranty.

We bought a used truck from a Chevy dealer. Already has the truck part for the gooseneck style hitch. Leaning toward the Reece gooseneck.
deltam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
I have a 2015 F350 and need complete access to my bed when we camp/tow. When we were looking at moving from a TT to a 5th wheel it was a major concern for our particular situation.

We looked at "conventional" 5th wheel hitches with B&W being highest on our list but the idea of taking apart then lifting a 100+ lb hitch every single time wasn't something we wanted to do. We then looked at the Andersen offering and while the weight was certainly doable the bolting/torquing every time wasn't appealing.

We ended up replacing the kingpin on the 5th wheel with a Reese Goose Box. It is an approved kingpin for our trailer and did not affect the warranty. It uses air suspension and shock absorbers which turns out is a huge bonus.

The best thing is we only have to put in/take out a ball in a matter of moments. I would highly recommend looking into this alternative to the conventional hitch.

They come in a 16K and a 20k, here is a link to the 20;

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/pi...aYyqOMivlF4Kt9
I second this recommendation. IMHO... it's the best combination of comfort and convenience.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:33 AM   #9

We have a Curt Q20 hitch and use the puck system in our 2016 f350. Easy to remove to free up the bed.
Tundra2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #10
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltam View Post
Looking at the Companion but still heavy at 150 plus pounds to remove regularly and if it is like the gooseneck ball, needs lube on the square post regularly or it seems it would corrode in place making it harder to remove.

The B&W Companion comes out in 2 pieces about 65 pounds each. Neither piece is difficult to handle. A B&W slider version will get you up to possibly that 150 pounds but again, still 2 separate pieces. It's tough hitch
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #11

We have the B&W Companion Hitch with slider for our short bed (never used it but nice to know it's there if I need it) and I love it! It is extremely heavy, but as long as you know that and prepare for it it's a great hitch. Easy to hook up and release, and you can actually see the "jaws" around the kingpin so you know you are hooked up without having to test. I leave it in most of the time as I use it a lot in the summer and I like the weight for winter (instead of the sandbags that many people use up here). I rigged up an electronic winch in the garage so when I do need to remove it it's as simple as backing up under it and lifting out. Between the combination of the B&W and the kingpin setup on my AF I honestly don't even feel it when towing. No chucking, just a smooth ride.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:12 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deputykevin View Post
B&W are great hitches but I wanted even a better ride so I went with the Trailer Saver BD5. I am selling my slightly used B&W Companion that is for the GM puck system.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #13

Thanks for all your input. I went with the B&W RVT3700 puck system for my 3500HD.
deputykevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 06:32 AM   #14

I got my B&W hitch delivered yesterday, took 3 days. It is a very solid hitch and did require some assembly (10 bolts). I have a rubber bed mat for the truck bed and used a 2" hole saw to cut out openings for the pucks.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote