Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #1

Hello All,

I have a 1994 Sierra I bought recently. I got a pretty good deal on it and it looked pretty solid when I inspected it. I anticipated that I'd have to put a little work into it. Anyway I've discovered that the floor and bottom wall plate in the right rear of the 5er are dry rotted. I'm pretty handy with woodworking and I'm not apprehensive about replacing the damaged wood. I've never removed aluminum siding from an RV before and need some advice. Is it true that I'll have to remove all the siding from the top down? Any help will greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time,

Pat
Imfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #2

Hello All,

I have a 1994 Sierra I bought recently. I got a pretty good deal on it and it looked pretty solid when I inspected it. I anticipated that I'd have to put a little work into it. Anyway I've discovered that the floor and bottom wall plate in the right rear of the 5er are dry rotted. I'm pretty handy with woodworking and I'm not apprehensive about replacing the damaged wood. I've never removed aluminum siding from an RV before and need some advice. Is it true that I'll have to remove all the siding from the top down? Any help will greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time,

Pat
Imfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #3

Bottom up, should not be too bad, I opened just the corners on my camper I had to work on, and it was not bad at all.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 AM   #4

I worked on mobil homes for several years, all horazontal siding is installed from the bottom up. If you pull the bottom panel loose from the bottom you can reach up with a flat bar and pull the stappels loose fram the first seam and pull the first panel off. The only problem is when you reinstall the bottom panel there is now way to fasten the seam so it will buldge and be loose. You could put trim screws in from the outside if you wanted. Maybe someone else has an idea on this.
Dave
Dave&Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:50 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave&Jeannie:
I worked on mobil homes for several years, all horazontal siding is installed from the bottom up. If you pull the bottom panel loose from the bottom you can reach up with a flat bar and pull the stappels loose fram the first seam and pull the first panel off. The only problem is when you reinstall the bottom panel there is now way to fasten the seam so it will buldge and be loose. You could put trim screws in from the outside if you wanted. Maybe someone else has an idea on this.
Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong, RV siding is not like mobile homes siding, Rv siding comes in large panels with a pitsburg seam and is installed from the top down and removed from the bottom up.

Hijacker 4 Way Pivot, Integrated controler, 2004 Prowler Regal Advantage AX6 36.5 FLTS
charlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:03 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wrong, RV siding is not like mobile homes siding, Rv siding comes in large panels with a pitsburg seam and is installed from the top down and removed from the bottom up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

charlan, You are right, had a brain **** on that one,vinal starts from the BOTTOM . I got to thinking about that after i went to bed that night and remembered when i pulled the siding off the back of my 5er last year, started from the BOTTOM.
Dave
Dave&Jeannie is offline   Reply With Quote