Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #1

Removing Black Streaks

I am the second owner of my 5er & the previous owner didn't keep it washed & waxed as well as I will do. I could pretty well get the streaks off of most areas of the trailer but the lower skirting, which I think is made out of plastic, will not come clean. Is there a special cleaner out there that works best?
PulNSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 11:42 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Camco black streak remover is one

I eliminate most of my black streaks when I put a new coating on my roof.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #3
EJW

I use this Camco product from Amazon on our Class C. Works pretty well, even for stubborn black streaks.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-41002-B...9A77G182S3K7ZY

Hope this helps and good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

I use meguiarrs cleaner wax, it that doesn't remove I use Bar keepers friend, wash, then meguiars cleaner wax.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I use meguiarrs cleaner wax, it that doesn't remove I use Bar keepers friend, wash, then meguiars cleaner wax.
Yeah I usually use NuFinish cleaner wax for my vehicles but it didn't even touch these. Tried kitchen cleaner, Turtle Wax Cleaner, Clorox Bleach cleaner, nothing seem to remove it. Didn't use anything aggressive to put it on like scotch pad cause I figured it would only scratch the surface making it look worse. I will try the options that you all have suggested after the holidays & see what happens.
Thanks,
Old 08-26-2019, 12:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrocharlie View Post
I eliminate most of my black streaks when I put a new coating on my roof.
I don't think this guy put anything on the roof. He kept it inside a lot so that helped. I just bought it a few weeks ago & have already washed the roof & put a sealer on it. I applied a second coat this weekend since the first coat seeped in so well. This along with a good wash & wax on the sides should help keep the black streaks away once I get the suborn ones removed.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #7

i have a 2018 winni Intent and I am already getting black streaks as well. So I dont think i need a new roof rolled on yet
US RV As-is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:42 PM   #8

Simple green and bonami
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by US RV As-is View Post
i have a 2018 winni Intent and I am already getting black streaks as well. So I dont think i need a new roof rolled on yet
Probably all of the pollutants we have in the air & rain. It doesn't take long for something all shinny & new to start looking bad unless you wash & protect it often.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:04 PM   #10

You might try a magic eraser with the "black streak remover" by Thetford or Camco.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
You might try a magic eraser with the "black streak remover" by Thetford or Camco.

I second this Magic Eraser!
mechanic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #12

KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
I am the second owner of my 5er & the previous owner didn't keep it washed & waxed as well as I will do. I could pretty well get the streaks off of most areas of the trailer but the lower skirting, which I think is made out of plastic, will not come clean. Is there a special cleaner out there that works best?

You might be surprised, but LA Awesome sold at dollar store in spray bottles has worked well for me. My DW and I found it looking online a few months ago. It may have been here on this forum? Once you get it it will surprise you on all the stains it works on. And price is great.
Regards Ron
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:36 PM   #13

Reliable spray cleaner. Best cleaner for black streaks on RVs-if it can’t get it off than some type of compound or cleaner wax is the next step I take.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
Didn't use anything aggressive to put it on like scotch pad cause I figured it would only scratch the surface making it look worse.

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT use a scotch pad on any sort of paint. Scotch pads are an abrasive and will scratch any paint or gel coat made. I might try soft scrub, but try it in an inconspicuous place first. I would try the recommended products first.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote