Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by -LB- View Post
Hey danes...I'm not sure what you mean by aggressive?.....I mean it works with little or no effort but it's not as potent as say lacquer thinner......I've used it for years and I haven't found a surface yet that it messes up....about 3 weeks ago I took some sticker residue off some plastic food storage containers and it didn't even dull the finish...

Please elaborate on your experiences so I don't find out "accidentally" what NOT to use it on!!!!......LOL
Hi LB

Let me just make clear that I am not an expert by any means. My opinion is based solely on my personal experience.

My personal opinion is that the 3M is excellent for certain jobs but I do regard is as a product you should use with utmost care - like lacquer thinner. It will f.x. "eat" your fingers quicker than most other products just to mention one thing.

I have absolutely nothing against this 3M product, but if I can find products that are cheaper, safer and just as efficient for a specific job, I will prefer them over the otherwise nice 3m product.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #16

Makes perfect sense to me danes...and expert or not, you can't top personal experiences....I value all the information I can get on things so thanks for the reply......I'd have to say the longest session I've ever used it on was removing graphics from a 21' fiberglass boat and I wore gloves but you are probably right in that it will eat up unprotected skin if exposure was long enough....I use jus a dab on a rag for a quick sticker removal here and there and I haven't had any problems as I mentioned...I thought you may have had a specific experience that you were referring to....

As I said, always good to hear other people's experiences and opinions....they can save you from a heap of mess in the future.....thanks again and sorry to hijack the thread!!!!.....

We now return you to your previous scheduled programming......... :-)
Old 03-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBaby View Post
While on the subject, can those products remove the glue left behind after I pulled off those ugly wall paper borders?
I believe that is a different base glue. Warm water and wallpaper remover should get that off.

Best bet for stickers is WD40 or GooGon.
Stanleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
I have the 3M stuff in my locker too, and it is good but also agressive like h***.

For sticker glue I was introduced to a very inexpensive alternative by a iRV2 buddy. Go to the Dollar shop and get a bottle of the yellow stuff called Awesome. Works a treat

If it doesn't do the trick, I owe you a Dollar
X2 Bulk LA's Totally Awesome All-Purpose Cleaner, 20 oz. at DollarTree.com This stuff pretty much is my go to for black streaks, adhesive, mold, and pretty much anything else around the RV.
gajd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I removed the decals on my old Bounder, I used pretty much everything suggested here. Nothing really worked that great until I tried this stuff. I tell you it works like magic. You spray it on ( it has a orange smell ) wait 15-20 seconds and it jells up the glue and decals. You just simply scrape it off with a plastic putty knife or similar plastic scraper.
Attached Images

Sonnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use Goof-Off or OOPS! both available at most hardware stores. Follow directions. I know it's not manly but it works.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #21

Over the years I've tried most everything...those that did the best also tended to be the ones that removed not only the adhesive, but, also the finish under it... Those that didn't harm the finish, usually took forever and a lot of elbow grease to be effective.

Then I found this stuff:

Adhesive Remover, 8 Ounces - Griot's Garage

I'm so fond of it that I have probably 8 to 10 bottles of the stuff spread around the place and in the 5er. Works and doesn't harm the finish; not paint, wax, fiberglass, plastic. It performs just as it says. I use it on everything from carpets to my antique cars.

If the sticker or goo needs a little help, I use these plastic razor blades. Again, one of the most useful "finds" that I've made over the years and like the adhesive remover, I've got them spread all over the place.

ScrapeRite - Scraperite

I've not found anything that those two, singly or in combination, haven't been able to remove with no damage to the underlying material.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #22

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
So far we have tried WD-40, Vodka, Mayo and peanut butter with no luck Now the wife is out shopping at the Dollar store to find that awesome yellow stuff and if that does'nt work then it will be the 3M, then the grinding wheel
Old 03-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
Over the years I've tried most everything...those that did the best also tended to be the ones that removed not only the adhesive, but, also the finish under it... Those that didn't harm the finish, usually took forever and a lot of elbow grease to be effective.

Then I found this stuff:

Adhesive Remover, 8 Ounces - Griot's Garage

I'm so fond of it that I have probably 8 to 10 bottles of the stuff spread around the place and in the 5er. Works and doesn't harm the finish; not paint, wax, fiberglass, plastic. It performs just as it says. I use it on everything from carpets to my antique cars.

If the sticker or goo needs a little help, I use these plastic razor blades. Again, one of the most useful "finds" that I've made over the years and like the adhesive remover, I've got them spread all over the place.

ScrapeRite - Scraperite

I've not found anything that those two, singly or in combination, haven't been able to remove with no damage to the underlying material.
Thanks for the links Webslave, I have a good feeling with the Adhesive Remover but I would be a little a scare using Sraper (Scraperite) on brand new Gel-coat
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use denatured alcohol for removing sticky stuff.

Denatured alcohol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Agreed............ WD40 and a clean rag works best.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcopeland View Post
Agreed............ WD40 and a clean rag works best.
Sorry tcopeland WD40 din't work on this one will have to try something new
Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMANICHEL View Post

Sorry tcopeland WD40 din't work on this one will have to try something new
Like I said in my previous post. I was we're you are now and can tell you with confidence to try this product, it works.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl8MD4S51HNGbl
Sonnydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydale View Post

Like I said in my previous post. I was we're you are now and can tell you with confidence to try this product, it works.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl8MD4S51HNGbl
My wife did not find it at the hardware store but I will keep on searching next weekend, meanwhile I could cover it with a Good Sam sticker