Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 07:19 PM   #1

Repairing damage skirt

As I have state before, we had blowouts coming home from Texas this spring and one damaged the skirting on the side of the fifth wheel. Hit it so hard it bent up into the bottom of the trailer. Lucky, didn't damage any wiring or gas lines running to the frig...Any suggestions on repairing it, pulled it back down, but looks really bad...not a body man and deductible is to high to take it to a shop to get fixed..

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 05:03 AM   #2

I checked and there is a J&T Sheet Metal shop in Camdenton, near you. You might see if they could replace it and have a local body shop paint it to match. We are fortunate here - I have a locally-owned RV repair shop here that does that type of work for an amazing price.

But - if you don't have a good, locally-owned (hungry) RV repair place, the sheet metal place may be your best and least expensive bet.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:57 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Do you have a picture of the damage? If it's the lower metal that forms the wheel well it's called J skirting. I did my own on my last 5W, couple hrs, I used the old piece flattened for a template. The cutout does not have to be perfect as the fiberglass fender covers the cut. Fender $150-$200 and I don't recall what I paid for the J skirt. I have a large piece out in the shop. Shipping was almost as much s the skirting.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:44 PM   #4

[QUOTE=Edd505;5789896]Do you have a picture of the damage? If it's the lower metal that forms the wheel well it's called J skirting. I did my own on my last 5W, couple hrs, I used the old piece flattened for a template. The cutout does not have to be perfect as the fiberglass fender covers the cut. Fender $150-$200 and I don't recall what I paid for the J skirt. I have a large piece out in the shop. Shipping was almost as much s the skirting.[/Q

No the piece I damaged runs from behind the wheel well to the rear of the trailer. I think I have figured out a way to at least make it look decent, so only time will tell. Can't be removed or at least I don't see any screws, rivets holding it on. If I can't figure it out, will most likely tow it up to the RV guy and have them work up a quote to replace them and the fiberglass trim over the wheels..

2015 Chevy 2500HD 4x4,2008 Crossroads Cruiser M29CK, 2008 HD Ultra Classic Trike
Old 06-14-2021, 05:46 AM   #5

You probably don't need to hear this but this is the reason we carry insurance. I have $500 deductible on mine. I'm also a full timer and so I make real sure I have good insurance coverage.

You said you had blow outs coming home from Texas. Have you checked the ages on your tires to be sure they are not all due for replacement? If you are like most RVers we age out our tires before the tread shows wear. I never go past 4 1/2 - 5 years on mine because the damage from a blown tire is more aggravation than paying for the new tires.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
You probably don't need to hear this but this is the reason we carry insurance. I have $500 deductible on mine. I'm also a full timer and so I make real sure I have good insurance coverage.

You said you had blow outs coming home from Texas. Have you checked the ages on your tires to be sure they are not all due for replacement? If you are like most RVers we age out our tires before the tread shows wear. I never go past 4 1/2 - 5 years on mine because the damage from a blown tire is more aggravation than paying for the new tires.
I have insurance and also have a 500 dollar deductible, all tires including the spare have been replaced. I was just hoping someone had straightened theirs out and could give me some tips. The wheel well trim pieces are going to cost over 400 to have them shipped to me from California..figured maybe 5 hrs or so labor..so would still be out of pocket 5-700 dollars....

Old 06-15-2021, 07:43 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
[QUOTE=pddgm;5790295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Do you have a picture of the damage? If it's the lower metal that forms the wheel well it's called J skirting. I did my own on my last 5W, couple hrs, I used the old piece flattened for a template. The cutout does not have to be perfect as the fiberglass fender covers the cut. Fender $150-$200 and I don't recall what I paid for the J skirt. I have a large piece out in the shop. Shipping was almost as much s the skirting.[/Q

No the piece I damaged runs from behind the wheel well to the rear of the trailer. I think I have figured out a way to at least make it look decent, so only time will tell. Can't be removed or at least I don't see any screws, rivets holding it on. If I can't figure it out, will most likely tow it up to the RV guy and have them work up a quote to replace them and the fiberglass trim over the wheels..
For what it's worth CW quoted $1500 and I did it myself for $500 parts & shipping. That metal piece could run all the way back to the rear. At the top is there a trim strip? If so you will find the screws under it. Remove carefully and it can be reused. I was able to order from a dealer, that 5W was a Jayco Eagle, it came color matched to the RV. Call a dealer that has your brand and ask if they have J skirt to match yours. Here was a link to a supplier. https://www.amazon.com/ICON-J-Panel-...3806948&sr=8-7 .

This is not a big job if you have some mechanical ability, finding the parts was the hardest part. I read the check your tires, I do everyday I move the RV, and I'm about 3/4 time. I still lost a tire. I have switched to LT tires and have had less issues. I have read about some of the newer ST tires and just put 14ply Sailun S637's on my 5W to see how the wear & handle. So far 4" of snow & high winds (30-40) and they handled well. Yes thats pretty high winds but living in the SW you move in wind or you don't camp much, snow was a have too for scheduled Dr cancer F/U. Hope this is of help and not son BS you should have checked.
PS: I submitted the $1500 estimate to my insurgence, they took the $500 off and sent my $1000, DIY $500 so I was plus $500 when done.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #8

Completely off topic but is the donuts shop still next to the police station in Sunrise Beach? When I was there a few years ago and saw that I thought it was a scream.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 08:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Completely off topic but is the donuts shop still next to the police station in Sunrise Beach? When I was there a few years ago and saw that I thought it was a scream.
Yes it is...

Old 06-16-2021, 08:40 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
I too am a full timer. Heading north from Texas from our 2nd winter suffered a blowout. Skirt damage only. Called my insurance and the adjuster met me at the RV dealer that I insisted perform the work. Long story short, that claim put a “not at fault accident” on my record and my rates for both truck and trailer increased. Ignoring all of my objections, they would not remove it.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair