Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2021, 07:40 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Replaced one piece steps

We have a 2020 Solitude that has the solid one piece steps that are hinged inside the door when traveling, and swing out when camping. Our problem is our storage unit is 13' wide, just enough to open the door when inside, but not enough room to swing out the steps. Every time we wanted to get into the 5th Wheel, I had to hook up to the trailer and pull it outside to lower the steps and get access to the inside. If we forgot to open the fridge after a trip, I had to reconnect and pull it outside.

I purchased new steps that fold under the door, like it used to be years ago. I had to move one of the brackets under the door area because the brackets were only 25" apart and the steps need 28" to install. I also had to cut out the lower siding, below the door, to expose the new steps. Not an easy job, but the two of us got it done in about 5 hours.

Now I can open the door and lower the steps inside my storage unit and do what ever I need to do without moving the 5th wheel outside. The photo is not the finished product but close. It looks much nicer now. See attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RVSteps.pdf (204.1 KB, 22 views)

2020 - 41' Solitude
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2021, 08:29 AM   #2

Nice Job

I see you are located in AZ, were you in Abbotsford last week I saw a similar set up a few days ago on a Solitude. I have the old setup and used to have the same problem. Apart from this issue water gets in when wet and they damage the door & screen door. If I keep the unit I want to change out as you have done.

My wife also tripped on the steps and broke her wrist.
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:40 AM   #3

That is nice and I considered doing that as well. Unfortunately, on my 5th wheel there is the middle leveler ram where the stairs would fold in. So I guess I have to live with that solid step thing.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
BriarPatch, no, that was not me. I just did this less than two weeks ago and have not gone out since then. My guess is that more people than we know want to change their steps.

2020 - 41' Solitude
rkerber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:49 AM   #5

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Great job. Those solid steps are nice when in use but pose some issues. It was a decision based on the bottom line for the manufacturers, I'm sure. Less labor intensive to install!
Old 06-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Those appear to be the same steps I have on my KZ Durango Gold. Any of the solid steps would be a not buying for me. First thought was all the dirt gets dumped inside, that crazy. With all the complaints on that setup you would think the manufactures would get the hit, people do not like them.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #7

Great idea we have the same issue. I hope to be on the road full time , more or less soon but if plans change I would do the same. The steps do bring in dirt and bugs if not cleaned off before storing. We had a class A that the steps would come in when closing the door a security feature I thought when spending the night at a rest area. I wonder if the automatic steps would fit?
Massanutten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 06:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
That is nice and I considered doing that as well. Unfortunately, on my 5th wheel there is the middle leveler ram where the stairs would fold in. So I guess I have to live with that solid step thing.

Not really, Torklift makes a set of inside store steps that you will be able to deploy as long as you can open your door to 90 degrees. They are called Torklift Uprising. I haven't used them, but I have their under-mount version on my trailer and am very happy with them. They are made of aluminum and stainless steel. After three years of use, mine still look almost brand new.

Both versions of their steps can be anywhere from 3 to 6 steps and they have optional parts available including handrails. Though not easy, you could even get into your trailer without deploying them, they are a scissor design and collapse when stored, so you could climb over them to get in.
https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep...ution-uprising
Old 06-05-2021, 03:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
Not really, Torklift makes a set of inside store steps that you will be able to deploy as long as you can open your door to 90 degrees. They are called Torklift Uprising. I haven't used them, but I have their under-mount version on my trailer and am very happy with them. They are made of aluminum and stainless steel. After three years of use, mine still look almost brand new.

Both versions of their steps can be anywhere from 3 to 6 steps and they have optional parts available including handrails. Though not easy, you could even get into your trailer without deploying them, they are a scissor design and collapse when stored, so you could climb over them to get in.
https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep...ution-uprising
I 2nd Torklift Glowsteps.
Jayco19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkerber View Post
We have a 2020 Solitude that has the solid one piece steps that are hinged inside the door when traveling, and swing out when camping. Our problem is our storage unit is 13' wide, just enough to open the door when inside, but not enough room to swing out the steps. Every time we wanted to get into the 5th Wheel, I had to hook up to the trailer and pull it outside to lower the steps and get access to the inside. If we forgot to open the fridge after a trip, I had to reconnect and pull it outside.

I purchased new steps that fold under the door, like it used to be years ago. I had to move one of the brackets under the door area because the brackets were only 25" apart and the steps need 28" to install. I also had to cut out the lower siding, below the door, to expose the new steps. Not an easy job, but the two of us got it done in about 5 hours.

Now I can open the door and lower the steps inside my storage unit and do what ever I need to do without moving the 5th wheel outside. The photo is not the finished product but close. It looks much nicer now. See attachment.
I did the same on my Solitude. But I put on the Torqlift Glowsteps. Fortunately there was not modification to the frame mounting points.

One side note - if you want to make that opening you cut look a bit more 'manufacturer-like' you can put on some automotive door trim (the kind that slips on the edge of the door to prevent dings). It gives it a nice touch.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #11
JDT

I did not have enough room to lower the MorRyde steps because it is a tight fit on that side of our fifth wheel when it is in it's garage. The Tork Lift Uprising was the only thing I could find to solve the problem. I like the fact there are 5 steps. They are not difficult to operate. I was able to sell the MorRyde set and got half my money back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0382 (2).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	331277   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0384 (2).jpg
Views:	17
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	331278  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0381 (2).jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	331279  
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:40 PM   #12

We moved to Torklift this year also, the huge Draw Bridge steps were a no go because of room like others have said.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:29 AM   #13

Torklift for 3 years with absolutely no problem that the best steps you can buy.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, steps