Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #1

Replacing a foam mattress with an air mattress for a hide a bed

I have a 2006 Montana Mountaineer that has a hide a bed with a paper thin foam mattress. The tag on the mattress says Flair Industries, so I assume the sofa bed is also made by Flair. The mattress frame measures 53'X72". I would like to replace the flat foam mattress with an air bed type mattress, but am wondering if; 1. I can find an air mattress that will fit and, 2. will it fold up correctly. The bed folds up with part up behind the back cushions and the rest under the seat cushions of the sofa. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.
wargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 07:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargle View Post
I have a 2006 Montana Mountaineer that has a hide a bed with a paper thin foam mattress. The tag on the mattress says Flair Industries, so I assume the sofa bed is also made by Flair. The mattress frame measures 53'X72". I would like to replace the flat foam mattress with an air bed type mattress, but am wondering if; 1. I can find an air mattress that will fit and, 2. will it fold up correctly. The bed folds up with part up behind the back cushions and the rest under the seat cushions of the sofa. Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

These are a little pricy but are great:

http://innomax.com/index2.php?crn=27...on=show_detail

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:14 AM   #3
IC2

Why not go to your (or DWs) favorite department store and just buy a blow up mattress? It will store more easily then an RV couch version, cost less and quite possibly even be a better piece of equipment and will probably fit nicely on the frame. I have to say that after trying to sleep on ours last week (DW was sick) that it was uncomfortable, crackled when I moved and the @#$% thing was cold on my bottom side - and this was as supplied by Keystone in a Montana. We are now looking for a better sleeper bed replacement (plus that couch is uncomfortable just to sit on)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #4

The nearest standard mattress size is a "Full". The standard Full size matress is 54"x75. The blow full sizes you buy at Walmart are typically at litlle smaller footprint than a typical matress and may work just fine. Your bigger problem may be preventing the metal frame from you original mattress from puncturing the air matress.

We just bought a new king for my FW and it was 4 inches narrower than a standard king. I think the rv manufactures make odd sizes capture a profit center for replacements.
scout4eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
IC2

[QUOTE=scout4eagles;2578012Your bigger problem may be preventing the metal frame from you original mattress from puncturing the air matress.

We just bought a new king for my FW and it was 4 inches narrower than a standard king. I think the rv manufactures make odd sizes capture a profit center for replacements.[/QUOTE]

I would think that the original thin hide-a-bed mattress would be left in place as padding since it might be needed to maintain the couch configuration when folded.

Ahhhhh yes, the RV 'special' sizes. Our last TT had an RV queen. Regular width, but short which meant part of my 6'4" frame hung off one end. At least our current new Montana has a real queen platform and has an almost new Simmons Beautirest that we were able to pull from our traded 5er, swapping them around.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote