Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #1

Residential Frig. in 5thW

My No-cold,1200, went out again, 3rd time, and plan to replace with a residential type. Will be my 2007 Travel Supreme 5th wheel. Any suggestions with make/models, etc. Have looked at Lowes, Homedepot, etc.

Any help/suggestions will be appreciated.

Tide Guy
06 F550 PSDCC
07 40' Travel supreme
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
You've probably already though of this, measure the space where
no-cold 1200. You'll be surprised the size you can get and how much you'll like residential unit. Good luck.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #3

When I helped a friend install a residential fridge in his 5er, the biggest problem we had was sealing the bottom of the fridge for air flow underneath, should have done some measuring and fabrication before we put the fridge in the first time.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
what do you do with the `fridge when moving from one place to another? I don't know of any that run on LPG. Not sure how much will stay cold driving thru summer heat all day not powered up.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Amish cooling unit?

Works for many. Less $
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #6

I installed a Samsung RF197ACRS four months ago. We replaced a Notcold 1210, and it has proven to be the best upgrade we have done, as full-timers.
We are running the Samsung from a Xantrex 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, dedicated to the refrigerator. The inverter is supplied from two batteries, 150 amp hours combined. The refrigerator will run for about 16 hours under normal use. Current draw when the compressor is running varies between 0.9 and 1.2 amps at 120 volts, which translates to around 9 to 12 amps from the batteries. A couple of times a day, the refrigerator will defrost, which draws 3.5 amps at 120 volts, for 15 minutes or so. When towing, the battery charge is maintained by the truck alternator. The compressor in the Samsung runs about 30% of the time under normal temperature conditions, and the battery charge is replenished from the truck when the compressor is not running. I chose a pure sine wave inverter to ensure maximum longevity of the electronics in the Samsung. The Xantrex cost $260 new from EBay, which I considered reasonable for the peace-of-mind, even though many are using MSW inverters to power the Samsung. I run the Samsung directly from the inverter 100% of the time, to protect the refrigerator from disconnect/connects and possible power surges. The batteries are kept replenished from the converter when plugged into shore power.
huronwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
huronwoods I agree 2X.
I've heard people that boondocking that it takes less
electric running a house frig. Also cost less something like .50cents a day
compared up to $1.50 a day and if I can find the info again I'll post it.
Really good read. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
JDT

What David says. I installed a Samsung RF197 in our motorhome before we sold it and now have one in our Excel. It has a dedicated 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter with a transfer switch so when I unhook from shore power it automatically switches to the inverter and vice versa. Excel had a 1500 watt modified sine wave running it but I just felt more comfortable with the psw and wanted the transfer switch to make things a little easier. Many folks run theirs on an msw inverter, which are cheaper to buy, and have no problems. In fact, Samsung says it will run just fine on an msw. I can plug it in and in a few hours it is 38 degrees in the upper fridge and -2 in the freezer, and it stays there.

The RF197 is a French door, counter depth model so it will come pretty close to being the same depth and width as your Notcold 1200 but will be a few inches taller. I paid less than a $1000 when I bought one for the motorhome a couple of years ago (in black) but I'm not sure what they are running now.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
KIX

/the Samsung 197 is what we have also. Lowe's does not stock it so I've been told. However they will order it for you
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #10

All, Believe I have solved my problem. Plan to install a Whirlpool double door unit. May have to notch out the counter top about an inch at the end of counter, but will find out tomorrow, if this will work.

thanks for all the responses, will be back and let ya"ll know if it works.

Tide Guy
Tide Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #11

I am about to install a Samsung 197 soon myself got it at sears had to order it, ours is going in a Everest plenty of side and top space not too sure how it will look on the depth... counter is 24". Doors could be on the edge of slide out floor enough room to open doors and draw. I do have Magnum PSW inverter to run it.
Cheers Den.
routemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #12

When replacing the NoCold with the Samsung did you have to make any cabinetry mods?
Looking at the specs, the Samsung is about 5" taller than the Nocold.
Ours sits atop the furnace and reaches the ceiling so no options to extend the opening.
We have a tech coming tomorrow to replace the cooling unit. Ammonia smell inside and no cooling
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
When replacing the NoCold with the Samsung did you have to make any cabinetry mods?
Looking at the specs, the Samsung is about 5" taller than the Nocold.
Ours sits atop the furnace and reaches the ceiling so no options to extend the opening.
We have a tech coming tomorrow to replace the cooling unit. Ammonia smell inside and no cooling
There is a thread running on the motor homes sec where there are dropping the floor and changing the cabinets to fit looks a nice job.
Den.
routemaster is offline   Reply With Quote