Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #15

Y'all have definitely made up my mind for me. I had no idea that the current draw was that low now, and it sounds like it will meet my needs easily, especially if I beef up solar some. I don't think we'd need to run the ice maker full time.
manowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 02:30 PM   #16

I made the switch going on 6 years ago. My Samsung 197 has never been turned off, runs on the inverter (boon docking or going down the road). With all the Norcold lawsuits and being paid over $1000 over 4 years, it has paid for my switch and the wife loves it.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:20 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a Samsung residential and we really like it. That said, the first one went out on our first trip about 1000 miles from home. We purchased a small refrigerator and a small freezer at Lowes just to make it through the trip. We found out that a normal fridge repair company will not even look at a fridge if it is in the RV. After many discussions, Samsung refunded the purchase price and we bought another one from Lowes with extended warranty. Lowes delivered and installed it. We went with the same model so as to not have to do any modifications.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
We have a Samsung residential and we really like it. That said, the first one went out on our first trip about 1000 miles from home. We purchased a small refrigerator and a small freezer at Lowes just to make it through the trip. We found out that a normal fridge repair company will not even look at a fridge if it is in the RV. After many discussions, Samsung refunded the purchase price and we bought another one from Lowes with extended warranty. Lowes delivered and installed it. We went with the same model so as to not have to do any modifications.
So, to your point, the residential refrigerators they use are just that, residential ones like you'd buy anywhere? No "RV hardening" or anything?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #19

The inverter that I see installed in the pass-through compartment on the rigs I'm looking at -- is the output on that run only to the refrigerator power jack?
Old 08-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by manowell View Post
The inverter that I see installed in the pass-through compartment on the rigs I'm looking at -- is the output on that run only to the refrigerator power jack?
Typically 1000W yes.
An inverter sized to it's application is generally more efficient than a larger, one size fits all, that's not utilized properly.
Generally, they are also the sole intelligent battery charger too. Multi-stage charging with temperature compensation can prolong battery bank lifespan.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally, inverters that run residential refrigerators only power the refrigerator outlet. This is because they have automatic transfer switches that sense if there is AC available from the power panel and automatically switch over to shore or generator power when available. The National Electrical Code requires that refrigerators have their own, dedicated circuit and most transfer switches can only handle a single circuit. Many of us have added second transfer switches to power a breaker that powers some convenience outlets since most refrigerator inverters have extra power available most times.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
So, to your point, the residential refrigerators they use are just that, residential ones like you'd buy anywhere? No "RV hardening" or anything?
That is correct.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:03 PM   #23
JDT

You've got a lot of good info here. Not much I can add other than we are on our 7th season with our Samsung fridge. We generally spend 3 to 4 months a year in it and have logged close to 50K miles over some very rough roads and so far no problems, knock on wood.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
This is because they have automatic transfer switches that sense if there is AC available from the power panel and automatically switch over to shore or generator power when available.

Ah, so clever! And much more efficient.

Does a charge controller for a solar system also handle the smart charging for the battery(ies)? That seems to be about the only thing missing now. I've been reading (in passing) about these things for years, I'm about to get seriously educated.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Generally, they are also the sole intelligent battery charger too. Multi-stage charging with temperature compensation can prolong battery bank lifespan.
Hmmm. I need pictures. I'll be googling soon. I'm aware that the cheapo charging system for the coach battery in my current 15 year old rig is crap.

What's a typical "more than one coach battery" setup? 2x12v or 4x6v?
Old 08-08-2018, 07:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
That is correct.
That's convenient! Just get one efficient enough, much more flexibility.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:43 AM   #27

Quote:
Ah, so clever! And much more efficient.
Does a charge controller for a solar system also handle the smart charging for the battery(ies)? That seems to be about the only thing missing now. I've been reading (in passing) about these things for years, I'm about to get seriously educated.
Yes, not in traditional bulk, absorb, float, it would throttle back as the battery banks SOC (voltage) increases. Better high capacity units will also have a remote temp probe to prevent overheating / damage.
Quote:
Hmmm. I need pictures. I'll be googling soon. I'm aware that the cheapo charging system for the coach battery in my current 15 year old rig is crap.
Better ones have adjustable perimeters or charging profiles to accommodate different battery technologies, Lead Acid, AGM, (bulk, absorb, float. lithium would be more of a bulk w/ no float.
Quote:
What's a typical "more than one coach battery" setup? 2x12v or 4x6v?
It can vary. multi 12V is nice as it offers redundancy one fails other(s) still operable.
Multi 6V are cost effective generally available from GC suppliers wholesale clubs pretty common. must be used in pairs. I'd guess 2x6v most typical in stock 5r's. One fails (kind of rare, but) other is dead in water.
Quote:
That's convenient! Just get one efficient enough, much more flexibility.
A 3000W inverter only running 700W primarily has more overhead heat etc.
The transfer feature is an "AC pass -through" and is generally SS or seamless.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:14 PM   #28

As weekend warriors and RV vacationers, we are not nearly on the road as much as most of y’all. How real is this fire hazard for the Norcold and any other RV fridges? Seems like I’ve read a lot about the fire hazards over the past year. I’ve been thinking about getting an inverter and going with a small resedential fridge. What’s an rough estimate for installing an inverter? Thanks
KHBama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, refrigerator, residential refrigerator