Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #15

Not to muddy the waters, but you've not stated if you need the gasoline tank in a toy hauler for gasoline, as in for filling four wheelers, etc.

My point is if you don't need the gas tank for gasoline, than you don't have to restrict yourself to a gasoline generator. Assuming (a big if, grant you) that the tank is or can be certified for diesel fuel (some seals designed for gasoline don't like diesel fuel much) and the pump is rated for diesel, you can potentially shop for a diesel generator instead of a gasoline one. You may be lucky and fall into a lightly used diesel quiet generator for about the same as you'd expect to pay for a new gasoline generator. Generally speaking a diesel generator can run at max rated power all day long, whereas a gasoline generator is normally rated for somewhere around 80% of the advertised "peak or starting" power for "max continuous" use.

Where I'm going with this is for instance, and for ease of figuring, a 5kw gasoline generator is normally rated for about 4kw for continuous use. Whereas a 5kw diesel can run at 5kw output all day long, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples when shopping.

Just food for thought!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 06:56 AM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Why not a different approach and go with solar and a small portable generator, instead of a large generator? The other option might be a truck mounted one something like this 4500 Watt 30 amp Gen-Box Generator Toolbox
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #17

I have considered a portable generator, but they come with their own set of issues. Plus I have a bed mounted tank/toolbox so that takes up 2' of space already. Maybe if we end up with a traditional 5th wheel we could build a bumper mount for a generator.

I have no real need for the gas tank other then for the generator. Switching to a diesel unit would be possible, might even be possible to plumb into the external 50 gal tank I have on my truck.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:07 PM   #18

I think your going to have a hard time finding what you want that short.New horizons WILL build you one but you will have to put a 1 in front of the 70,
42willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #19

Have you considered towing your bike behind your fifth wheel? I sold the toyhauler and got a 40 ft Cardinal and tow our utv behind it. It has an onboard Onan 5500 lp gen . I carry a 40 lb bottle in the truck and hook it up when we get to our spot and use it till empty and then you still have your two 30 lb bottles onboard to run on. We mainly dry camp and this has worked out well as we need to run the air conditioning for a few hours a day. Yes a gasoline gen is more economical but you have fumes and propane is much more pleasant outside than a gasoline gen. Yes it's more expensive to run but I have not had to go to town for propane and camping is not economical if you want all the comforts of home. I won't go back to a toyhauler because the residential camper is so nice. Forgot to mention I do not have a residential fridge.
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42willys View Post
I think your going to have a hard time finding what you want that short.New horizons WILL build you one but you will have to put a 1 in front of the 70,
That is why I was asking the question.

If money was no object, it would be very easy to get anything you wanted. I feel fortunate for the budget we do have, but breaking 6 figures is not something we can do.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugersdad View Post
Have you considered towing your bike behind your fifth wheel? I sold the toyhauler and got a 40 ft Cardinal and tow our utv behind it. It has an onboard Onan 5500 lp gen . I carry a 40 lb bottle in the truck and hook it up when we get to our spot and use it till empty and then you still have your two 30 lb bottles onboard to run on. We mainly dry camp and this has worked out well as we need to run the air conditioning for a few hours a day. Yes a gasoline gen is more economical but you have fumes and propane is much more pleasant outside than a gasoline gen. Yes it's more expensive to run but I have not had to go to town for propane and camping is not economical if you want all the comforts of home. I won't go back to a toyhauler because the residential camper is so nice. Forgot to mention I do not have a residential fridge.
I am not in a state that allows double/triple (depends on who you ask) towing, so that is not an option for me.

I am not an overall fan of the traditional TH, which is why I like the Grand Design 376. It lives like a traditional 5th wheel, but has a garage big enough for what we need, and comes with generator and water/waste capacities we would like.

As I said my wife is concerned about overall size, so we are just exploring our options.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #22

A Idaho tote or a swivel trailer is considered a extension of towed vehicle.I have a swivel trailer that's attached to my 39 foot 5th wheel.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42willys View Post
A Idaho tote or a swivel trailer is considered a extension of towed vehicle.I have a swivel trailer that's attached to my 39 foot 5th wheel.
That is interesting, but wow, ~$8,000. It is a good concept, but the concern was going shorter. If I have a 36' and add ~10' to it, I am longer then the 42' 5th wheel that is my favorite.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 PM   #24

My swivel trailer I paid $3,000. for new this year.It adds 6 feet 6 " of length.8k is for Idaho tote which is nicer than what I have,but swivel trailer works for me.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:08 PM   #25

New horizons has a 2006 summit 34 foot 5er with motorcycle carrier off of back take a look.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:18 AM   #26

Generator

We were thinking along the same lines as you are.
One item that I haven't seen mentioned is the potential loss of carrying capacity. A 7500 watt generator and a full load of fuel will weigh close to a 1,000 pounds. For many coaches losing that much carrying capacity would make the coach unusable as a full time rig. Where you mount the components will have an impact on your pin weight. The New Horizons 5th trailer mounts the generator just behind the axle.
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #27

Hmm... a 1000 lbs? I’m assuming on a 5er? Sorry, l’m just wondering what a full load of fuel (diesel or gas) is in your book? A 7500 watt Onan diesel generator weighs 420 lbs, or a 7000 watt Onan gas is listed at 290lbs. according to apelelectric.com. So the remaining 580 lbs will get you 67 gallons of diesel (7.1lbs/g), with a 100lb tank if on a 5er. I’ve only a 34 gal diesel tank in my 1 ton dually. We ordered our 2017 Jayco North Point fifth wheel with a gen prep pkg (was told better resale value) and it came with a 13 gal steel gas tank up front. Never used. Although it’s ready for a 5500 watt gas Onan, I bought a 3100 watt Champion Inverter genny (stored in place) which weighs 95 lbs, holds 1.6 gal gas, runs 8 hrs, and can run one 15k a/c, residential refer, tv and lights. I’m only sorry I got talked into spending $970 for that option. Yes, agreed large gennys do weigh a lot, and take away from ccc load, but a 7500w and fuel cannot be near the 1000 lbs as suggested. 30 gal of diesel and tank would only add app. another 250 lbs. or 670 tot. But are 3 15k a/c’s really necessary to run simultaneously on a 7.5k genny?

Sorry I’m plagued with a numbers mentality. Just ask my wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator