Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #15

Let me play devil's advocate. You put the grand kids in the 5er. It gets t-boned by a semi. All the kids get killed. Probable outcomes:

1. you have to live with fact that you killed your grand kids and maybe others for the rest of your life.
2. You get charged criminally for reckless endangerment, possibly even 2nd degree murder or manslaughter because death is certainly a foreseeable outcome of your actions.
3, Your children will never speak to you again.

This is just such a bad idea for so many reasons I can't believe you are even considering it. I would suggest that you go to Elkhart or maybe an RV junkyard and see what RVs are made of. At best it's 2x2 lumber and fiberglass or aluminum above the frame. After taking 4 factory tours I chose to buy a Super C. Why? It was the only RV I could find that had any significant amount of front end crash protection and rollover protection. I'm thinking that trailers, of whatever variety have even less protection than a class A. Please don't regret whatever decision you make, you my have to live with the consequences for the rest of your life.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2021, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Can anyone give me some facts, that a Class C or A with passengers is safer that a 5th wheel? I am not talking about a travel trailer.

They are not. None of them are remotely safe with the exception of the two front seats in a class C.

If you want the safest thing possible, you have all people in a truck with a lot of air bags. Everything else is high(er) risk.

It seems you came looking for confirmation of what you want to do. You're not going to get it. Call it snarky or whatever you want.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
This question should be, “when you are RVing in Mexico do you leave your windows open on your 5th wheel so the passengers can jump out like the can from a pickup truck “
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 10:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Yes, we live in a dangerous world!

Of course I would add a seatbelt, of course I would have parents present. As someone in the news recently said (who I don't care for..) "come on, man"!

Please assume that I have thought this thing out, and will not do it if is not safe, but some of your casual remarks are rather cruel and not well thought out!

Can anyone give me some facts, that a Class C or A with passengers is safer that a 5th wheel? I am not talking about a travel trailer.

Anyone out there that can give me some good positive advice?

NO!
YOU ARE NOT GOING TO GET POSITIVE REPSONSES IN FAVOR OF PEOPLE RIDING IN A 5TH WHEEL

They are NOT intended for occupancy while in transit

Seat Belts....WHERE do you think you are going to install them??
Slidouts where seating is available are NOT to be used when Retracted.

Have you even been inside a 5th wheel with the slide retracted.

WHY are you so set on doing domething that is so ridiculous to even waste time/brain cells on???

I have had many 5th wheels...still have one
I would NEVER< NEVER allow any person or PET to ride in it while traveling.
It is just WRONG.....YES LEgal in some states but WRONG never-the- less.

Bye...Bye!

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Seat Belts....WHERE do you think you are going to install them??
Slidouts where seating is available are NOT to be used when Retracted.
For the record many class A's have seating in slides with seatbelts attached to the slide floor framing. That doesn't make it a good idea however.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
Old 10-10-2021, 12:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
For the record many class A's have seating in slides with seatbelts attached to the slide floor framing. That doesn't make it a good idea however.
5th wheel slideouts tilt UP when retracting and MFG does not recommend standing/sitting in the slide out due to damage that can occur to slideout floor which is NOT supported when tilted up
Old 10-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #21

Thank you for the few factual replies about the dangers inherent with riding in the back of a 5th wheel, and the honesty of the dangers of riding in the back of ANY RV.
If riding in the back of a 5th wheel is much more dangerous than a Class A or C (believe me people rarely if ever wear seatbelts in the back of these RVs), then why do nearly half of the 50 states allow it, (California with stipulations)?

Yes there have been some serous fatalities with RVs. I wonder how many involved newer and safer 5th wheels, and that did not have other factors contributing to the accident? And I think the stats will show that they are very rare compared how many are on the road. And even rarer still would be one involving a newer and safer 5th wheel properly equipped, with a safe thinking driver.

And if some of you apply the same lack of logical thinking to other forms of transportation, then please don't bring your grandkids along with you in your old or new car, truck, farm tractor, motorcycle, small plane, skateboard, bicycle, or swimming pool, etc.

In the end, I probably won't have them in the back of a 5th wheel, but since I am a free thinking American, I will continue to question and analyze whether or not it should be done, as I haven't heard any facts and specifics about RV crashes that pertain to good, solid, safer, newer 5th wheels. Maybe I will go the the National Transportation Board website to see if they get specific about that!

Again, I only want to hear about serious accidents involving newer and safer 5th wheels that occurred in the last 3-5 years or so! Anyone have anything?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #22

Quote:
Thank you for the few factual replies about the dangers inherent with riding in the back of a 5th wheel, and the honesty of the dangers of riding in the back of ANY RV.
If riding in the back of a 5th wheel is much more dangerous than a Class A or C (believe me people rarely if ever wear seatbelts in the back of these RVs), then why do nearly half of the 50 states allow it, (California with stipulations)?

Yes there have been some serous fatalities with RVs. I wonder how many involved newer and safer 5th wheels, and that did not have other factors contributing to the accident? And I think the stats will show that they are very rare compared how many are on the road. And even rarer still would be one involving a newer and safer 5th wheel properly equipped, with a safe thinking driver.

And if some of you apply the same lack of logical thinking to other forms of transportation, then please don't bring your grandkids along with you in your old or new car, truck, farm tractor, motorcycle, small plane, skateboard, bicycle, or swimming pool, etc.

In the end, I probably won't have them in the back of a 5th wheel, but since I am a free thinking American, I will continue to question and analyze whether or not it should be done, as I haven't heard any facts and specifics about RV crashes that pertain to good, solid, safer, newer 5th wheels. Maybe I will go the the National Transportation Board website to see if they get specific about that!

Again, I only want to hear about serious accidents involving newer and safer 5th wheels that occurred in the last 3-5 years or so! Anyone have anything?
WHY are you concentrating on ACCIDENTS?
Are you planning on having one?

Accidents are LEAST of concerns in regards to Kiddies/People riding in a 5th wheel whlle in transit!
Seating....WHERE?

As asked before HAVE YOU EVEN BEEN INSIDE A 5th WHEEL WITH THE SLIDES RETRACTED??????

Comfort/Nausea
5th wheel tows well but does not 'RIDE' well
It moves for/aft and tilts side to side due to king pin/hitch attachment and trailer's own suspension
Can be a bit 'disconcerting' at best due to motion and not being able to see forward...just side/rear views

Instead of looking for 'internet justification'....go do it yourself

It is a ridiculous idea regardless of the 'legality' of doing so.

Accident survival is one concern but NOT the top criteria.
*accidents can happen regardless of vehicle. RVs are at the bottom of that list.

WHY are you SO stuck on doing this????

And where do you get the idea that newer 5th wheels are built safer/better?
Fantasy Land
Old 10-10-2021, 01:18 PM   #23

Accident....
I realize that this particular event happened to a stationary trailer, but:

Whenever I see a pic of a mangled fifth wheel it's a fresh shock to see how flimsy such structures really are. It makes me wish I could show the pic to everyone that thinks that carrying passengers in such an unprotective area is a good idea.

Old 10-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #24

Riding in a 5th wheel is legal .If you want a smooth ride up front get a Hensly trailer saver air ride fifth wheel . In the rear put the Moryde independent suspension on and disc brakes . There is not much room with the slides closed . About all you can do is lie in bed if accessible . Not much fun .
No less safe than all these motorhome drivers talking about how the like the fact that the wife can go back and make sandwiches . Then becomes a human missile when the driver slams the brakes on or some other mishap occurs . They all have their down sides .
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #25

Thanks for the last 3 replies. Now I have the facts that I was looking for.

So, not sure yet, but I may not get a 5th wheel after all. I will concentrate more on Class Cs. But if I continue to get disappointed with the Cs, I will just get a nice quad cab diesel, with a 5th wheel, and put them in the truck. Now that is a good idea!

And of course, I will have a family member drive me down the road a bit, while I ride in the 5th wheel Solo, just to experience what you are talking about!
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:44 PM   #26

Quote:

And of course, I will have a family member drive me down the road a bit, while I ride in the 5th wheel Solo, just to experience what you are talking about!
Not just a bit....but for an hour of longer.
Get the full affect
Old 10-10-2021, 02:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Thanks for the last 3 replies. Now I have the facts that I was looking for.

So, not sure yet, but I may not get a 5th wheel after all. I will concentrate more on Class Cs. But if I continue to get disappointed with the Cs, I will just get a nice quad cab diesel, with a 5th wheel, and put them in the truck. Now that is a good idea!

Bravo! I think you are starting to come around. We pull our 2019 Montana with a crew cab Ford F-350 diesel. Normally our two small dogs ride in the back seat in a couple of doggie beds, but when we take our two young Grandsons they share the roomy rear seat with the dogs. They are much safer belted in, way more comfortable and they can look out the windows and watch the scenery go by. Well, anyway that is when they can look away from their computer screens for a minute or two. LOL
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:23 PM   #28

Quote:
I will concentrate more on Class Cs.
I assume you know where to find the weight stickers on an RV. Many class C's have very low CCC's. Some are overweight with a person in every seat with belts..... Just keep an eye on it.

Tags
5th wheel