Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #99

Riding in 5th wheel. Really!!

Your nuts. Sorry but you should not be rv,ing.
johnner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 12:43 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Read through the whole post and not a single suggestion, get a crew cab truck, load the kids and hook the 5W. BTW you will love the KZ great 5W's.
Forget which page but I believe it was mentioned at least once in the thread. I'm sure the OP knows about crew cabs anyway so I'm figuring he's trying to find a way to carry more than 6 people at times.

As others have stated though, using the 5th wheel as a passenger conveyer is NOT a good idea. More things to go wrong, less safe all around, rough and/or seasickening ride are the things that nix it for me. As far as the OP's statement about newer trailers being better and safer, I ain't buying that either.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #101

Mid Atlantic Campers
A Different Take

I have read every single comment on this thread. Woke up this morning to more comments. Not one person here has mentioned two obvious things. I don't think the poster has been in a fifth wheel. Second, he has adult children. It's not up to him where his grandchildren will ride. It's up to the parents. No decent parent is going to agree to this so this entire conversation is moot.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:21 AM   #102

Kind of like riding in a motorhome,but the motorhome is designed to carry passengers in compliance with federal regs. Bolted down seating,seat belts etc.
muskamoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #103

RV Trip Wizard
When we are travelling we pull over every 2 - 3 hours or so for me to use the toilet in our trailer 'cause I don't like to use public toilets unless I have to.

This has been my experience when we pull over and I pop into the trailer.

1. in summer it is unbearably hot and stuffy inside even with the vents open.
2. in winter it is cold and stuffy inside.
3. i most always find something out of place on the floor. One time the roads were so rough, a couch cushion was tossed all the way back into the bathroom.
4. i keep minimal water in the toilet while traveling but sometimes the water will slosh out onto the toilet seat and floor. Yuck.
5. everything in the cabinets, drawers, and fridge have moved around so I have to be careful when opening them to grab a drink or snack to go.

So, besides safety issues, given how rough the ride can be even on super highways, I can't imagine a person riding back there for any length of time. It would be hell.
HBandWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:28 AM   #104

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I know that the idea of riding in the back of a 5th wheel stirs up strong emotions but, how about some fact based advice!

And yes, I have read lots and lots of posts about the dangers of riding in a fifth wheel. Of course, no one mentions the exact cause of a few crashes (mainly travel trailers, a few 5th wheels, also, Class As and Class Cs)

I prefer to hear from those who have done it safely and still do!

I'm downsizing from many years driving a class A, and am leaning towards a new or near new 30-32 foot 5th wheel. A class C is also being considered. I will only buy a top quality built 5th wheel, but not luxury or plush!

1. Northwood- Fox mountain or Grande Ronde

2. Outdoors- Glacier Peak

3. KZ-Durango

4.Keystone-Cougar

5.Grand Design Reflection 150 series

If I do this, I will spend what it takes for a smooth and safe ride (shocks, MORyde system, disc brakes, best hitch system, etc. And the best part is, I need to buy a truck, probably a diesel!

So if I put together the safest and smoothest ride, with your recommendations, can I do this thing safely? And if so, what is your best advice for all of the stuff I need? This would be maybe 2 to 3 times a year with the kids and grandkids, and we are not full-time but more like the snowbird type.

And yes, I am a safe driver, with a 29 year very busy career in law enforcement. I also had prior training in driving a school bus, and tow truck experience ( in college). So I have seen it all, and safety is my number one priority!

Thanks for your advice!

Having almost 30 years of law-enforcement experience you are probably acquainted with these two phrases:

Child endangerment
Criminally negligent homicide

It seems obvious to me that given all the response that you have received and pooh-poohed, that you are only trolling for people who are willing to pat you on the back for this idea that you have.

The fact is that there is no safe way to do something that is inherently unsafe.

The 21 states that do not have laws against this (as you state) are probably 21 states where no one in the state legislature thinks that anybody could be so stupid as to put their children or grandchildren or even their dog in a fifth wheel traveling down the road and 50 to 70 miles an hour. The other 29 states are those which realize “yeah, we even got people this stupid we better make a law against it!”

Jim Gordon.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmaynard View Post
Of course I would add a seatbelt
Rated to what? Attached to what? Are you an engineer? You think you'll find one to sign off on it? An attorney would cream his pants over this.

Plus, getting thrown out of what's left of the thing comes AFTER the upper cabinets come down on you......

No, I'm not exaggerating. I have SEEN this happen. It is NOT pretty.

But you keep defending your position agains OVERWHELMING counter opinions.

Guess you're just a troll.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:50 AM   #106

I think the OP has departed.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:10 PM   #107

I'm back! after over 100 posts, no one has offered any evidence that a modern, newer, 5th wheel, with a MORryde system, shock absorbers, and other available after market suspension systems coupled with disk brakes, is unsafe for passengers. I saw one very old picture posted that showed a very old and unsafe 5th wheel that was in a crash. That is it!

And there are some 5th wheels that have sitting and walking room with the slides closed.

So, for those few owners that might let their adult passengers ride in the back of one, I say, it is up to you. For those who choose to act out in your replies like an immature, ignorant toddler, I would say, post something informative and educational about the question or don't post at all.

Most of the replies were educational and I learned quite a bit about 5th wheels from you. So... Thank You!
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:43 PM   #108

Quote:
post something informative and educational about the question or don't post at all
I'm sorry. If you lack the mental capacity to understand that the crash worthiness of something made out of luan and polyester fabric is dubious we can't help you.

The REASON there are no piles of dead bodies resulting from sitting in a fiver in an accident is because there are VERY FEW people dumb enough to do so.

Now please stop trying to get us to agree with you. Go out and put your loved ones in the damn thing. If you're the praying type, which you statistically most likely are despite the lack of data there, you can ask for forgiveness ahead of time and hope they make it out of the ICU alive.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Back in my NAVY Days on base transport was via 'cattle cars'
5th wheel 'bus.....standing room only
Hop on/hop off and hang on while riding.
I had forgotten about those until I read your post.
I had the same experience in boot camp. It was a rough ride but I still somehow managed to get a little sleep standing up.
I'm not promoting any specific course of action, but I agree with all the comments that many class A and C RVs are basically death traps. This is what a typical class A looks like before being stapled together by meth heads in Elkhart Indiana. So if you drive one of these or ride a motorcycle, maybe think twice about calling the kettle black.

Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:02 PM   #110

I have been cordial in my previous posts ---tried to enlighten you as to WHY not a good idea but you are becoming annoying

29 yrs Law Enforcement. School bus driver..........8 pages and 108 posts and you are still trying to justify your idea of having grandkids ride in the 5th wheel

Brand New with all the bells and whistles changes ABSOLUTLY NOTHING
Go to a Dealer...have them let you INSIDE a 5th wheel with the slides retracted then post back WHERE in the HECK you are going to PUT those grandkids and have them be safe, comfortable and not get motion sickness.

I'm glad my kids never rode in School Buses ..........not with your mind set

This is now looking more and more like a TROLL Post
(You got us!!!)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:27 PM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
I'm back! after over 100 posts, no one has offered any evidence that a modern, newer, 5th wheel, with a MORryde system, shock absorbers, and other available after market suspension systems coupled with disk brakes, is unsafe for passengers.
Am sub'd to several RV-er channels on YouTube. I don't have a link but remember watching one video from Changing Lanes I think, where they added IS and did before and after ride videos. The "before IS" ride was horrible, and the "after IS" ride was only slightly less horrible as I recall.

No way I would ride in the back of my 5er on an RV trip after seeing that.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:38 PM   #112

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I know that the idea of riding in the back of a 5th wheel stirs up strong emotions but, how about some fact based advice!

And yes, I have read lots and lots of posts about the dangers of riding in a fifth wheel. Of course, no one mentions the exact cause of a few crashes (mainly travel trailers, a few 5th wheels, also, Class As and Class Cs)

I prefer to hear from those who have done it safely and still do!

I'm downsizing from many years driving a class A, and am leaning towards a new or near new 30-32 foot 5th wheel. A class C is also being considered. I will only buy a top quality built 5th wheel, but not luxury or plush!

1. Northwood- Fox mountain or Grande Ronde
2. Outdoors- Glacier Peak
3. KZ-Durango
4.Keystone-Cougar
5.Grand Design Reflection 150 series

If I do this, I will spend what it takes for a smooth and safe ride (shocks, MORyde system, disc brakes, best hitch system, etc. And the best part is, I need to buy a truck, probably a diesel!

So if I put together the safest and smoothest ride, with your recommendations, can I do this thing safely? And if so, what is your best advice for all of the stuff I need? This would be maybe 2 to 3 times a year with the kids and grandkids, and we are not full-time but more like the snowbird type.

And yes, I am a safe driver, with a 29 year very busy career in law enforcement. I also had prior training in driving a school bus, and tow truck experience ( in college). So I have seen it all, and safety is my number one priority!

Thanks for your advice!

No.

Tags
5th wheel