Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2021, 04:38 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
I had the same experience in boot camp. It was a rough ride but I still somehow managed to get a little sleep standing up.
I'm not promoting any specific course of action, but I agree with all the comments that many class A and C RVs are basically death traps. This is what a typical class A looks like before being stapled together by meth heads in Elkhart Indiana. So if you drive one of these or ride a motorcycle, maybe think twice about calling the kettle black.

Yep. There is no cage or structure to deflect impacts or rollovers. Modern and new doesnít make it safer. It may in fact make it less safe, because manufactures are constantly in search of cheaper/lighter materials to cram more in to the same old footprint.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I'm back! after over 100 posts, no one has offered any evidence that a modern, newer, 5th wheel, with a MORryde system, shock absorbers, and other available after market suspension systems coupled with disk brakes, is unsafe for passengers. I saw one very old picture posted that showed a very old and unsafe 5th wheel that was in a crash. That is it!

And there are some 5th wheels that have sitting and walking room with the slides closed.

So, for those few owners that might let their adult passengers ride in the back of one, I say, it is up to you. For those who choose to act out in your replies like an immature, ignorant toddler, I would say, post something informative and educational about the question or don't post at all.

Most of the replies were educational and I learned quite a bit about 5th wheels from you. So... Thank You!
I don't suppose that calling people ignorant nor immature toddlers for trying to warn you of the dangers of what you're trying to do is really going to change anyone's mind.... Most of us have kids and the idea of putting them into that box to ride is abhorrent, hence the reactions you have received.

You seem bent on attempting to do this, so all that I can say is, do it. Make sure everyone's life insurance policies are up to date and have a good attorney on retainer. Then go out and travel the world with grandkids in tow.

There's nothing any of us can say that will change your mind, as it's blatantly apparent that your goal was only to find someone to agree with a decision you've already made. You didn't really find anyone who agreed with you.

You can choose to do what you wish with the information given here. I wish your family the best.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
There's nothing any of us can say that will change your mind, as it's blatantly apparent that your goal was only to find someone to agree with a decision you've already made. You didn't really find anyone who agreed with you.
Ironically this may be one of the few threads on this forum where the consensus is so overwhelming.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:21 AM   #116

Thank you for the recent reply! BTW, I decided long ago NOT to have passengers riding in the 5th wheel.

It was somewhat humorous and disappointing to see adults rant and rave about it, when I just wanted to explore the why's... that's all! It was just a thought and a question!

The old adage that teachers repeat is....'There are no dumb questions!" Apparently some people did not get that memo!

Again, I do appreciate those of you that thought this out carefully before replying, and gave me some good advice on 5th wheels and safety concerns.

Now, let's calm down, put your thinking caps on, and give me some good advice on a tow vehicle and a quality, SAFER 5th wheel!
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 10:26 AM   #117

Quote:
Thank you for the recent reply! BTW, I decided long ago NOT to have passengers riding in the 5th wheel.

It was somewhat humorous and disappointing to see adults rant and rave about it, when I just wanted to explore the why's... that's all! It was just a thought and a question!

The old adage that teachers repeat is....'There are no dumb questions!" Apparently some people did not get that memo!

Again, I do appreciate those of you that thought this out carefully before replying, and gave me some good advice on 5th wheels and safety concerns.

Now, let's calm down, put your thinking caps on, and give me some good advice on a tow vehicle and a quality, SAFER 5th wheel!
So you ARE a troll. Just throwing crap out there to get a rise. Nice going. There are no safe fivers. As for a tow vehicle I recommend a 1993 Yugo with the roof top hitch.
Old 10-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #118

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:05 PM   #119

Quote:

Actually there are....and this one is at top of the dumb question list
Old 10-18-2021, 12:37 PM   #120

This horse is dead. OP, I suggest posting a new topic for suggestions on a fifth wheel and truck based around your wants.

Hey Mods, time to shut this one down.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #121

I donít know about shutting it down. But do agree itís run itís course. And Newmar2856, I agree itís a good idea For the OP to put his other questions in another thread.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 02:30 PM   #122

I agree. Riding in a 5th wheel is high risk because the structure wasn't designed to any crash safety standards. Kind of like these RVs:

Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:14 PM   #123

Riding in a 5th wheel...Really!

9+ pages of replies to the original post, but he still doesn't get the point. With that thought in mind, I went looking on YouTube for videos of RV trailer accidents.

1. The result of an accident starts at 1:22 -

True, it wasn't a 5th wheel, but if anyone had been riding in that trailer they would either be dead or badly injured.

2. Here's another problem with having riders in the trailer. You're driving along, no troubles until you look in your rear view mirrors and see smoke coming from the trailer:
if you're tooling along at 65-70 mph, the folks in the trailer aren't likely to jump out!

3. Here's a 5th wheel rollover. I know from experience insurance companies will consider it totaled even before the wrecker starts to lift it. If anyone had been riding inside this trailer, their next trip would have been to either a hospital or the morgue (assuming they could have gotten out):

Now, do you STILL think it's safe for your grandkids to ride inside the trailer while you are towing it?
horsecollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #124

Gentlemen, we can stop because the OP has already stated he will not be transporting anyone in his trailer. Somewhere along this long thread he decided against it.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
Gentlemen, we can stop because the OP has already stated he will not be transporting anyone in his trailer. Somewhere along this long thread he decided against it.
Except it wasn't until his last post today that he made that statement....
Old 10-23-2021, 05:09 PM   #126

I agree with the kettle .. these Rvís no matter which class are not safe.. is one safer than the other? Yes ..

Build construction and materials make a huge difference...

Iíd put my Fortravel against any model in a collision and I feel I would be able to walk away vs the cardboard most drive here ..

Thought provoking conversation? No, it was a bunch of insults and people talking down.. I agree it isnt a good idea and I wouldnít do it unless an emergency ..

Again Iíve seen motorhomes with nothing left after a crash .. except pieces. Most are built with garbage material and construction.. engineered one asked about seatbelts? Haaa when the whole structure slides off the chassis ? Then what ?

I enjoyed the convo. Funny but not surprising on most comments. .. no your rug isnít much safer than a fith wheel ..

I wouldnít call him a troll as I think most tried to troll him with their comments .

Good job op!!

Tags
5th wheel