Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #57

Angry

I hardly ever post here because of this same type stupid question.
I would not even let my dog ride in a 5er or travel trailer.
Only a true idiot would.
OMG you can't fix stupid.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2021, 04:30 PM   #58

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Why is he even posting the question?
It’s right up there with “can you ride in the back of a pickup truck?”
I think he's asking because he can't put all the grandkids in one truck. If so, I wonder if the parents know of this plan? There are videos he can watch online where RVers have set up cameras in their fivers to see what goes on in there as it's going down the road. It's not pretty. And it's LOUD. You can be the safest driver on the road but what about the people that aren't and plow into you because they're texting or blow through traffic lights.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
I know that the idea of riding in the back of a 5th wheel stirs up strong emotions but, how about some fact based advice!

I prefer to hear from those who have done it safely and still do!

And yes, I am a safe driver, with a 29 year very busy career in law enforcement. So I have seen it all, and safety is my number one priority!

Thanks for your advice!
Sooo, another words, you want confirmation with what you've decided.... interesting.

And having 29 years experience in law enforcement, you should know that in most states, riding in the back of a trailer is illegal. For a reason.

And, having "seen it all", you ought to know why this is a very bad idea.

Good luck!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 04:50 PM   #60

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Yes, and I have been checking the CCCs. So far, i have not found a Class C, around 30 foot or so, that has enough quality materials and finish inside. Unless I go way up to a Phoenix Cruiser or Coach House. Even the Entegra Esteem has some cheap finish materials for the price they want. And they are hard to find.

Its hard dropping from a luxury Country Coach to a smaller class C.

My next search is comparing tow vehicles for the 5th wheel that I might get. Does someone know a good recent thread that covers all of the options? I expect that my 5th wheel will top out about around 10,000 pounds or so.

I will be staying in the 2018 to 2021 model years for both the truck and the 5th wheel. 5th wheel possibilities are, the Fox Mountain and Grand Ronde, Glacier Peak, and maybe KZ Durango half ton. I may look at the Grand Design Reflection 150 series, and/or also the Keystone Cougar and Sprinter. I want to keep the length as close to 30 feet as possible.
I don't believe Grand Ronde has a bunkhouse. You would have to order with the recliners removed to substitute a sleep sofa. We have a 30' fifth wheel and it's considered a "couple's coach." Absolutely, nowhere for any extra people to sleep. I guess you could put the kids in a tent or an air mattress on the floor in the main living area.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:54 PM   #61

You’re driving down the interstate in a class A going 70 miles an hour. Should your wife and/or kids get up and go to the bathroom, lay on the couch or bed?

Most would say “Oh no don’t do that” as they do it most every trip out. There is not a chance id put my family in a fifth wheel while underway. But come on, the above description is very close to the same thing from the danger standpoint if something goes bump in the night. Or the day!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:00 PM   #62

Quote:

Can anyone give me some facts, that a Class C or A with passengers is safer that a 5th wheel? I am not talking about a travel trailer.
Yes, a 5th wheel is towed with a pivot point and is not part of the main propulsion unit.

A Class A or C IS one unit, like a long SUV. However, if you were sitting or lying down in the bedroom of a 45' MoHo, you'd have some similar "enhanced" movements during panic swerves/braking/movements.

But it still is just one unit instead of two.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #63

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
There are three couples I know of where their wife many times rides in the fifth wheel. They told me many states allow it so I looked it up.

Arizona, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Wisconsin

They said it’s not as though anyone checks anyway?

It doesn’t sound like a good idea to me but obviously some do it.
Willingly?
Old 10-14-2021, 05:18 PM   #64

Hi MDFiver, I believe they were all tied to lawn chairs! Sorry, just a little gallows humor to break the tension in the room.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:24 PM   #65

Riding in a 5ver.

Anyone who tells you it is safe is an IDIOT.
plumber64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:28 PM   #66

5ver riding

In Pa. it is illegal to have dogs in any towable. I believe the the fine is very hefty and they confiscate the dog.
plumber64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:36 PM   #67

I e seen several rv crashes and a class “A” didn’t do to well after it stopped.. seen the completely cut in half and the top slid off the frame.. you guys think you are safe in the junk that’s driven around? The way most of the builder put the Motorhomes and trailers together it is a giant paper rv rolling down the road ..

Dumb idea to have loved ones in the back? Your Rv’s won’t do any better in a crash.. bottles house and rock throwing come to mind.. step off your boxes ..

There are a lot of legal things I wouldn’t do.. and this would be one but for everyone that has a wise response.. your motorhome wouldn’t do any better in a crash and I’ve seen pics of the seat shearing off the bolts and going with the top half of the coach.. your not any safer ..

If you are towing on a short road or one away from everyone like an entrance we used to the desert.. I wouldn’t have any issue putting the kids in the back as long as we had some kind of 2 way radios ..

But to all the guys thinking they are safer in a crash vs a 5th wheel? You are wrong..

Buy a bigger model and everyone will have a better chance or getting to the place to camp
Old 10-14-2021, 05:45 PM   #68

Suggest You and Gammy ride in the 5th wheel while your youngest grandchild drives the new $80,000.00 pickup.

Frankly, this is the stupidest idea I’ve heard - ever. Surely you cannot be serious
Old 10-14-2021, 05:51 PM   #69

Pretty interesting you are asking a forum about something that involves the safety of your children and grandchildren. Would anything said here actually influence a decision only you should be making? Since you asked here it is: Life has always been about choices and consequences and we all weigh and balance the positive agains the negative each and every day. Hopefully experience and living a long life teaches us more as every day passes and we make more proper choices than improper ones. You want the facts and only the facts as you said? The fact is regardless of the amount of planning, expertise, skill or even luck thing happen and things go wrong and we never can predict exactly when that will be. For some reason you must be hesitant to do this or you would never have asked the question so again why look for justification here? Nobody here will have to live with the consequences if something does go wrong. This is a choice and decision only you and your children should be discussing and making. My dad gave me some great advice after an incident took place when I was a teenager - “ Just because we can do something doesn’t mean we should.” Best of luck with your decision, only you and your children need to be comfortable with it, whatever it ends up being.
dvredc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #70

Suggest you watch accident videos on YouTube, lots of safe drivers minding their own business involved in bad accidents through no fault of their own. This is a terrible idea I don’t care how many people have done it successfully until now.

Tags
5th wheel