Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #85

With the 4-way articulating hitch, Demco Glide Ride pin box, shocks and 33" leaf springs the 5vr does it's it own thing independent of truck.

We have forgotten to put couple of items away before traveling.....coffee cup on counter, a book on dinette table, a shampoo bottle on bathroom sink.......All of them were somewhere else when we stopped.
Fortunately the shampoo only spilled in the bthroom sink, the book was under the slideout and torn, coffee cup was rattling around on floor.

Nope...even with 5vr set up I would NOT make our dog ride back there let alone any people.

5vr set up does TOW very well.......hardly know it's back there LOL
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2021, 10:17 AM   #86

Irony or deliberate?

It’s funny this article appeared in the newsletter irv2 sends out and is right above the article asking us to tell our stories about rv wrecks we have seen.
You could benefit by reading that.
In any case if you do it and it goes badly you’ll have no excuse for not being advised too forget this insanity.
johnmontgome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:19 AM   #87

Thanks Old-Biscuit, Can always depend on your good information.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #88

Yessir, Old Biscuit deals good advice.

There are reasons that passenger busses are not a semi trailer or fifth wheel combination and many have been mentioned here.

Many years ago two New Zealand brothers operated a passenger service in Iraq. There was a book written of the company called "Nairn Bus to Baghdad". Unfortunately I no longer have my copy. What the ride and conditions were like I have no idea but that is the only fifth wheel bus I have heard about. No doubt there were others.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:12 AM   #89

riding a fifth wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
Yes, we live in a dangerous world!

Anyone out there that can give me some good positive advice?

As long as you are not endangering other drivers/vehicles on the road, no problem, I say go for it.
Irvwith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Yessir, Old Biscuit deals good advice.

There are reasons that passenger busses are not a semi trailer or fifth wheel combination and many have been mentioned here.

Many years ago two New Zealand brothers operated a passenger service in Iraq. There was a book written of the company called "Nairn Bus to Baghdad". Unfortunately I no longer have my copy. What the ride and conditions were like I have no idea but that is the only fifth wheel bus I have heard about. No doubt there were others.
Back in my NAVY Days on base transport was via 'cattle cars'
5th wheel 'bus.....standing room only
Hop on/hop off and hang on while riding.
I had forgotten about those until I read your post.
Old 10-15-2021, 01:31 PM   #91

Jayco Owners Club
I am simply going to say that after seeing how my secured cargo gets tossed around in my fiver, I would not attempt to ride in it while moving even sitting down. It would be a horribly rough ride with lots of jostling about.
SLAJMARTIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:03 PM   #92

KZ RV Club
Read through the whole post and not a single suggestion, get a crew cab truck, load the kids and hook the 5W. BTW you will love the KZ great 5W's.
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 03:30 PM   #93

Winnebago Owners Club
Don’t do it! Can you do it and get away with it? Yes. Is it safe no matter what you do to secure them and drive carefully? NO!
Having worked in an ER I can tell you, no one wakes up and says today I’m going to go out and kill my kid or paralyze them for life. But taking risks, stupid and totally unnecessary risks can lead to just that.
There is absolutely no reason you should put your kids through this risk. NO REASON. Totally unnecessary.
The other problem is if you get away with it the first time, you will do it again, thinking, I knew what I was doing. But unsafe behavior has a way of catching up with people. How many times have I heard, well I do it all the time and blah blah never happened before.
Trekkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 04:16 PM   #94

I’m a couple months away from the arrival of my fifth wheel. Having someone travel in the coach is out of the question.

What I have learned here of greater interest to me is how some Fivers significantly vibrate.

I’m going to start another thread to discuss it further and hope you guys will comment. I don’t want to take away from the OP’s original intent.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:56 PM   #95

SirQUOTE=efstewart;5944791]Yes, we live in a dangero world!

Of course I would add a seatbelt, of course I would have parents present. As someone in the news recently said (who I don't care for..) "come on, man"!

Please assume that I have thought this thing out, and will not do it if is not safe, but some of your casual remarks are rather cruel and not well thought out!

Can anyone give me some facts, that a Class C or A with passengers is safer that a 5th wheel? I am not talking about a travel trailer.

Anyone out there that can give me some good positive advice?[/QUOTE]
rmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #96

If you are law enforcement, what is the law in your state? Here in NY it is illegal to ride in a trailer.
wdgpcfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdgpcfr View Post
If you are law enforcement, what is the law in your state? Here in NY it is illegal to ride in a trailer.
OPs Profile lists Colorado where it is also illegal????
Old 10-15-2021, 09:58 PM   #98

Spartan Chassis
Quick answer

It is only legal in 21 states, leaving it illegal in the other 29!
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel