Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #1

RL options

I'm currently researching my options to buy a used 5th wheel. Requirements are under 14.5K GVWR, rear living, mid range build amenities, very good build quality, REAL queen bed, porcelain toilets, stainless sinks in good solid surface counters. NO front cap bath. 35'+- length, 16" tires, 3+ slides, 2 air conditioners (preferred ducted quiet type)

Other things that are real nice, TV viewing from across the room (not at the end wall), lighter colors (hate real dark furniture/cabinets), RV refer ( residential refer with decent inverter and adequate solar and batteries).

The desired features listed is not complete obviously. I'll be towing with a 2016 F-250 CC diesel, 6.8 bed with B&W Companion slider hitch. I'll use for a couple of 1-2 month longer trips and a few week+- trips. Might tow a small boat or small motorcycle trailer behind it to some locations.

I'm not married to any one brand but don't want to spend the $$$ of a true luxury model. I have noticed that manufacturers loosely throw out the "luxury" term. Sort of like "RV Resort". I am looking at used 2-4 YO because I'll let someone else take the depreciation and let the PO go through the hassles of fixing poor QC from the factory. Girlfriend will probably end up wanting to paint over the crappy wall paper that the manufacturers seem to love.

Looking for suggestions on models. I like the layout of the Jayco Eagle 321 RSTS but wonder about their build quality since being bought by Forest River. The Montana models seem heavy, at least what I've looked at. Heavy is good as long as it doesn't exceed 14.5K.

Looking for suggestions to research and perhaps replies from owners of trailers who will share experiences.

Thanks DRW
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
I'm currently researching my options to buy a used 5th wheel. Requirements are under 14.5K GVWR, rear living, mid range build amenities, very good build quality, REAL queen bed, porcelain toilets, stainless sinks in good solid surface counters. NO front cap bath. 35'+- length, 16" tires, 3+ slides, 2 air conditioners (preferred ducted quiet type)

Other things that are real nice, TV viewing from across the room (not at the end wall), lighter colors (hate real dark furniture/cabinets), RV refer ( residential refer with decent inverter and adequate solar and batteries).

The desired features listed is not complete obviously. I'll be towing with a 2016 F-250 CC diesel, 6.8 bed with B&W Companion slider hitch. I'll use for a couple of 1-2 month longer trips and a few week+- trips. Might tow a small boat or small motorcycle trailer behind it to some locations.

I'm not married to any one brand but don't want to spend the $$$ of a true luxury model. I have noticed that manufacturers loosely throw out the "luxury" term. Sort of like "RV Resort". I am looking at used 2-4 YO because I'll let someone else take the depreciation and let the PO go through the hassles of fixing poor QC from the factory. Girlfriend will probably end up wanting to paint over the crappy wall paper that the manufacturers seem to love.

Looking for suggestions on models. I like the layout of the Jayco Eagle 321 RSTS but wonder about their build quality since being bought by Forest River. The Montana models seem heavy, at least what I've looked at. Heavy is good as long as it doesn't exceed 14.5K.

Looking for suggestions to research and perhaps replies from owners of trailers who will share experiences.

Thanks DRW
My only suggestion is....you don't have near enough truck for a 5ver that has a GVWR of 14.5K lbs. The payload on that truck is in the 2100 to 2200 lb range, and your pin weight alone....without a hitch or anything else well be right at 3000 lbs. Better check the white/yellow sticker on the driver's side door post for available payload capacity before you make a trailer purchase.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I probably should have said under 13.5, not 14.5. I used to have a Keystone Raptor 300MP, 35.5', and 15.5K that I towed with a Ram 3500 dually. I liked the truck for the towing stability but want to keep a smaller truck for more general use and economy. Besides, I have it. I may go down closer to a 30' 5th wheel to keep the numbers correct.

I do want to avoid the "lite" versions of trailers because in my opinion, lite equates to flimsy build.

Currently have a motorhome as seen in the sig line, well built, heavy and top notch quality. Going to be quite an adjustment to go down in size and weight but we're not using the coach as it's intended and want to reduce expenses.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:52 PM   #4

It sounds like you are fairly well experienced with towing heavy. I just wanted to make sure that you were aware of the pretty puny payload capacity of the F250 diesel truck's. I was shocked at mine when I discovered it was around 2150 lbs....but I bought it before I knew anything much about payloads, GVWR ratings, tongue/pin weights, etc. I learned a very hard lesson and I always try to help others from making the same mistake that I did.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:36 PM   #5

Thanks I understand. I also was expecting more payload but I also don't want to go real heavy this time around. All too often people ignore or are ignorant of towing weights and towing capabilities of the TV. I regularly in my travels see very large trailers being towed by an obviously undersized truck. Example a 42' triple axle toy-hauler towed by a SRW 3/4T truck. Trailer that size runs in the 18-21K range.

Before I bought the toy-hauler I had bought a used 2010 F-250 diesel figuring I'd get the truck then find the RV. Well found and bought the RV but realized I was somewhat "under-trucked". Hate being that so got the Ram. But not going that heavy this time I don't mind being at max this time because I'll add bags and trailer disc brakes if needed to help the towing. But need to find suitable accommodations for the GF and I as we see the sights.

Oh, and no kids or pets to cart along in this one. She is getting a used 5th wheel, a Primetime Crusader bunk house to keep down on a NW FL bayou property and maybe use it short trips with the human critters. It's a 13.5K GVWR.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:53 PM   #6

We have a 2015 Palomino Columbus 325 that appears to meet most of your requirements;
GVWR under 14k Dry wt 11k
Rear living
Upgraded interior such as very nice wood cabinetry and solid surface countertops,
MCD day and nite shades
Stainless sinks
RV stainless refrigerator,
3 slides,
2 whisper quiet A/Cs
King bed,
Best feature - full outside kitchen and the fridge and bathroom fully accessible with slides in.
Might be a little longer than you want as its 37'. Columbus does have a shorter model the 295RL.
Columbus makes a solid build. We recently put it up for sale. While we pull with a 1 ton there are folks who pull a Columbus with a 3/4 ton diesel.

Check out Columbus... they're good units with excellent factory support.
jlsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at the Montana High Country models. They're lighter than the Montanas.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #8

Looked at a brochure for the Montana HC and it seems to have possibilities. Also was researching Keystone Cougar models. Seems like a million versions of them.