Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2021, 11:32 PM   #1

Road Debris / Moisture Protection from Tires

I was looking under two different 5'ers above the wheels. I understand that a blowout is going to cause a lot of damage but my question is to road debri and moisture damage.

One of them had a layer of sheet metal sandwiched between the frame and the flooring unit while the other had the darco wrapped framed flooring directly above the tires. See pictures.

It would seem that items kicked up from the road or moisture would eventually break away at the darco wrap and that the simple sheet metal would help deflect debris and moisture prolonging life.

Am I missing something? Most I am seeing have the more exposed example - is this even a problem? You can't put the piece of sheet metal in after it is manufactured. Is there something else you can put there to help protect the flooring so it is not directly exposed?

Am I over thinking this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Well.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	645.7 KB
ID:	324573  
r3842id is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2021, 10:59 AM   #2

My redwood has sheet metal over the tires , looks like maybe 24 or 22 gauge. the tires have blasted the zinc coating off some of it , we have about 15,000 mile on it.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
My redwood has sheet metal over the tires , looks like maybe 24 or 22 gauge. the tires have blasted the zinc coating off some of it , we have about 15,000 mile on it.

Thanks for the input. Exactly what I was concerned about. If the tires have blasted the zinc coating off in areas what would happen to the darco wrap with that same exposure.

I was hoping for more feedback from others but maybe this is a non-issue or folks haven't considered it.
Old 04-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #4

I hope you get more answers as I sit here and watch the discussion!
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If a blow out occurs, 1/4" steel above, front and back "might" prevent some damage. That would be very heavy. Your best to maintain correct tire pressure, inspect the tires, stay under gross vehicle weight, not speed and replace with better quality.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:04 AM   #6

Mine has the Darco fabric, and I agree its dumb not to have wheel well liners.
I put some black eternabond over it to help, but have been looking online for some real liners.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #7

http://https://www.pellandent.com/RV-Wheel-Wells
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
Maybe this will work.
Edit...you beat me to it
Old 04-14-2021, 02:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkjavelin View Post
Maybe this will work.
Edit...you beat me to it
I like this idea, heavy plastic to contain small road debris, sand, stones etc from damaging to RV floor. Either 100% sealed to prevent moisture buildup or open for ventilation and drying.
As for a sudden tire failure, prevention before and insurance after.

Ken
Kenny Loney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 04:19 PM   #10

Rhino liner

My 5th has stainless or zinc sheetmetal covering the top part of the wheelwell. My previous trailer it was just the black fabric sheeting. The previous trailer was still looking OK after 10 years, and we drove through rain and snow at times.

My thinking is some rhino liner type of spray should stick to almost anything as long as it's clean and wax and grease free. Rhino liner is almost bulletproof, but please don't try that. I have some cans I bought for touchup of my bedliner from moving the 5th wheel rails forward. I'll see if that appears as tough as the real rhino liner coating.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2021, 10:37 PM   #11

I've seen pictures of a blow out that ripped through the tin and into the trailer. It was a mess.

My wheel wells are made with 3/16' alum and insulated on the inside with 1/2" foam.

When I pulled the tin out there was several placed water/mud got inside the trailer.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 02:16 AM   #12

Thanks for all of the answers and possible solutions. As I originally stated I was not looking for protection from tire failure but wanting to better understand solutions to protect the darco wrapped flooring or what issues you have had with it being exposed.

I spent the last few days in Elkhart doing plant tours and asked this question several times. I had a manufacturer tell me that they recently went to a sheetmetal wrapped covering on their 21 models to protect the darco wrapped flooring for the exact reason I was questioning. Although they stated it was a small percent there were incidents of road debris puncturing the darco wrap and then moisture and other debris building up within the floor so they added as another layer of protection.

However most told me that the darco wrap is a moisture proof barrier and there is no concern of what get kicks up from the tires. One demonstrated to me how tough and hard it is to tear. I may be wrong but still seems it will wear down and there must be some opportunity as some manufacturers have addressed it.

I do like the wheel wells in the link provided.. But heck the eternabond and even the Rhino spray would seem to add a layer of protection and would be a quick remedy.

Tags
moisture, tire, tires