Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #1

Rockwood Cougar Flagstaff

Looking at new Forest River Rockwood, Flagstagg or Keystone Cougar or Cougar High Country would appreciate input from anyone who has had experience with any of these. Our budget dictates a mid-range RV, I think these have a fairly good rep. But looking for positive or negative input.
Nanasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #2

I looked at Rockwood. Saw one unit that I thought was well made and was very nice. Looked at another unit and saw a lesser quality build for the same unit. I know manufacturers change things probably every few months. If you see a Rockwood that you like I would not hesitate to buy it.

But as I have mentioned before. Take the budget $$$ and go back in years and buy a used NuWa or Excel.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:37 PM   #3

We have a 2012 Cougar HC 299RKS, & it has been a good RV. The only issues we have had is the wall paper coming loose in the seams near the ceiling. We owned a Cougar TT prior to that, with no issues.

We have owned the Cougar HC for 2.5 yrs & recently ordered a Columbus (Hopefully will get in April). We are not trading because of issues. We have loved the Columbus for 2 yrs.

The Keystone forum has a "Cougar HC" social group under "communities". We asked if anyone else was having the wallpaper issue & apparently the issue was isolated to us. Good luck with your search.
kycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:35 PM   #4

FYI to the OP: We have truly enjoyed our Cougar HC, but I suggest you check with your dealer before buying new. It appears Keystone may be going to drop this line. I base that on the fact that they are offering a "High Country" package on the Cougar
& all HC 5ers & TT's are showing "stock only" on their website. Someone else may have more/better info.

They are continuing the Montana HC (built on same frame as Cougar HC) because they show 2 new floor plans.
kycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:47 PM   #5

Rockwood and Flagstaff are produced in the same factory, on the same assembly line, by the same workers .... the difference is decals

Jim
Old 02-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #6

We have owned a Cougar and were very happy with it, then we had to have something bigger. Anyway the Cougar stood up well and we had no issues during our ownership of it.

Personal opinion of the Rockwoods is not very good. Have looked at lots when shopping for our units and they just seemed lower quality than the Cougars. Many Rockwoods have issues just sitting on the lots never mind taking them down the road. Don't know if was just our luck to notice the issues, but our impressions have never been very good on them.

Good luck on your shopping, I'm sure you'll find a perfect unit.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:33 PM   #7

We had a Cougar for several years with no major problems. We recently purchased a Rockwood ultralite 12/30/13 and have since put more than 2500 miles on it. Seems well built with no trouble as yet. The only reason for selling the Cougar is that we wanted apposing slides in the living area. The Rockwood has apposing slides and we fell in love with the floor plan. I don't think you could go wrong with either brand.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #8

Thank you to all of u. We have narrowed our choices to Rockwood 8289 or Cougar high country. Working with dealers now to see where better deal and service is.

Did look at older higher end 5ers but they were priced higher than a new RW or CHC so decided to go with new and one year warranty. Again, thanks for input.
Nanasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #9

if you go with the 8289 and most of there trailers there is an additional one year warranty from Rockwood for $150.00 making the warranty two years. Your dealer, at least ours did not tell us about the additional Rockwood warranty but tried to sell us an extended for several thousand more. We have the 8289WS diamond pkg with the 2nd air cond unit and 50 amp service and love it.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote