Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2015, 04:22 AM   #1

Rotten Egg

We purchased our first 5er-'08 Jayco Designer 38'-in April and have spent a glorious summer in it. Our plans are to become fulltimers once the house sells next spring. We have found only one issue with it...we get a rotten egg smell when we turn on the water in the bath sink. No other water source has this problem, just the bath sink. I went online to read several articles and all of them talk about the water (we are hooked up to a well) or hot water heater being the issue. If it was either of those, wouldn't you get the smell at ALL water sources? I have let the faucet run for long periods of time trying to flush the line. It goes away, but the next time I turn on the water, it is back. ANY IDEAS??
oosuzieqr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Since it can't be the source water as it would be the same from all faucets, it has to be the faucet itself. I'm wondering if the plastic in the faucet or it's attached feed lines is breaking down causing the smell. Since you're planning to full time in it, an upgrade can't hurt. Why not try replacing the cheap RV type faucet with a decent residential unit. If it doesn't cure your issue, at least you'll have a quality faucet as you continue to dig for the issue...
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:39 AM   #3

it real is the well water all well water well have a sulfer smell when it is heated so r worse then others ..ive drilled water wells for yrs ...alot of times u can but a galv tank with well help reduce the smell ..cause the gas can seperate from water ..
Old 09-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I would start by sanitizing the entire system and go from there. There may be a low spot in the lines to that sink, as one possibility, that did not drain completely when the rig was put up last allowing funky stuff to grow only in that location.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:41 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
If it was from the water, it would smell from every faucet. Not just the bath sink.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:50 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Think I'd try some serious sanitizing first. Drain your fresh water tank (& hot water heater if you want to) then fill it with really fresh water. Disconnect your well water and turn on the pump. Pour in a quart of bleach and let it sit for a half hour or so. Then open all the faucets (put single lever ones in the middle) and let run for a half hour or so, then off for the same. Repeat until the fresh water tank runs dry. You'll have to then drain the hot water heater again and fill and drain the fresh tank, but the chlorine taste and smell will be gone very quickly.

I've had to do this with two different TTs in the past - once when I bought a used one that had sat for over a year with a half tank of well water, and the other a new one that had a funny smell and taste. We've well water at home too, and I try keeping ahead of it all. If I have to fill the fresh for dry camping, I'll add a half cup of bleach. Otherwise I only carry enough for flushing and hand washing, and drain it frequently.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Run bleach solution through the water lines and then flush, it can't hurt and it's cheap, just might clear up the smell.
brewurown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:41 AM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Since the rig is on wheels, try changing the water source before spending money unnecessarily. Find a campground on a decent public water supply and flush out all the lines and the hot water heater. We're on a well at home and the sulfur smell is strong in the bathrooms more than the rest of the house. Don't know why that is, more of an enclosed space?, nose closer to the faucet?, who knows.

If that doesn't fix it, at least you've eliminated one possible cause.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:05 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oosuzieqr View Post
We purchased our first 5er-'08 Jayco Designer 38'-in April and have spent a glorious summer in it. Our plans are to become fulltimers once the house sells next spring. We have found only one issue with it...we get a rotten egg smell when we turn on the water in the bath sink. No other water source has this problem, just the bath sink. I went online to read several articles and all of them talk about the water (we are hooked up to a well) or hot water heater being the issue. If it was either of those, wouldn't you get the smell at ALL water sources? I have let the faucet run for long periods of time trying to flush the line. It goes away, but the next time I turn on the water, it is back. ANY IDEAS??
had the same issue on a 3month trip,last winter. Smell was only from the bathroom sink also. I was going to sanitize the hot water tank per tank owners manual but it cleared up itself.probably flushed out bad water in normal use. I have never heard of plumbing pipe or faucets going bad and causing a smell but who knows? I would try a different water source and then flush out the hot water tank per instructions before throwing parts at the system. smell lasted probably a week.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:36 AM   #10

That odor may be the sink drain when you draw water the smell comes out of the drain. Try cleaning it with two tablespoons of baking soda down the drain and add a cup of vinegar that's been heated in the microwave. Caution it will foam up pour slowly, let it set for a few mins and rinse. You may want to make this a monthly routine for all drains to keep them clean. We also carry a zippet drain tool to remove hair from the drains lowes or hd about three dollars gets the yuck out.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Had the same problem on a previous motor home we had. Finally figured it out, it had an outdoor shower that we never used and the water sat in that line and got pretty funky smelling. Just the bathroom faucet as it was the closest to the outdoor shower. Once I ran the outdoor shower, PU! then the smell went away in the bathroom. From then on I made sure to run the outdoor shower to fill a bucket or something when I would wash the coach. Randy
Old 09-06-2015, 08:08 AM   #12

do a search on here for geomethod do it and your problem will be solved, or if the vent is under the sink instead of out the roof that could also be your problem
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote