Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 07:09 PM   #1

Rubber Roof??

Well, this is my first post after several weeks of reading and learning from all the experience on this forum. Amazing what you can learn by listening (or reading)!
We are going FT begining Memorial Day Weekend 2017 and are very close to purchasing a DRV MS. Not 100% on which model yet. One of my major concerns is the rubber roof vs. fiberglass on the ES models. That is a lot of money for a unit covered by rubber. Would sure like to hear from you all about similar concerns, real life experiences with rubber, life expectancy, etc. I know a lot has to do with the level of care provided, but need reassurances about a rubber roof.
Thanks for all your help.
Okplowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I, like you, was concerned about a rubber roof. Now that I own one it doesn't bother me. There is one plus - not as noisy in the rain. You will get strong opinions on both sides. Sort of like asking about gasers or diesel. Go with the floor plan.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

EDPM (sometimes called 'rubber') roofs are used on millions of buildings around the world. When properly maintained, by checking caulking and every three years or so putting a coat of sealant to protect the EDPM from UV damage, they can last a long time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:11 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
My unit is a 99 and a new roof was just put on 3 years ago. This was done only because some goof put a petroleum base product on it thinking that it as the right stuff to reseal the roof with.

Any person should know that petroleum and rubber are not compatable together. The old roof did last for 14 year and from what I understand no maintenance was done to it.

An EPDM roof is easier to look after and less costly to repair, especially with the number of proven product on the market today.

I would not be afraid to suggest that a unit with a rubber roof would be a good purchase if the floorplan is what you want.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:56 PM   #5

My rubber roof lasted 18 years with little to no maintenance on the CA desert. Then i coated it with liquid EDPM. $600.00 material. Now 22 years old and still going.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:35 AM   #6

We purchased our previous unit new and sold it after 12 years of use, no issues at all with the rubber roof. The rubber roof itself usually carries a 10-12 year warranty against defects. Sure would be nice to see other components in the RV industry with a warranty even have that long. The key is to inspect often to make sure that you don't have any punctures from tree branches and the end seems are sealed. Maintenance is fairly easy on rubber roofs as are repairs. Check out RV Geeks and RV Education 101 on YouTube for some great videos on repairing and maintaining a rubber roof.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:29 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've owned fiberglass and rubber (TPO / EPDM). I was a little more diligent about watching the rubber roofs. They seem a bit more prone to requiring cleaning.

Like you, I'd prefer fiberglass if I got a choice.

Rubber roofs can last a long time. The biggest part about a rubber roof is proper installation and I'm sure DRV can get that right.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof