Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2021, 10:40 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Rubber Roof and Air from the Pin Box

Can someone check my logic here?

35ft Crossroads Texan 310BH (Basically a Volante 310BH)

New trailer and after the first trip (last day of the first trip) I noticed significant air pockets under the front section of roof membrane.
Dicor showed fresh cracks from the roof apparently "Airing Up".

As best I can figure....

1. The roof membrane front termination strip is NOT fully capturing the membrane.
2. As best I can tell, air is coming in from the pin box and pressurizing the front cap. This in turn is finding a leak into and under the roof membrane.

These pics are from after the service department supposedly "re-stretched" the front section of roof. It is obvious that they did nothing of the sort and their lack of service is another story..

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210731_184055.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	343.6 KB
ID:	338177
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210731_184129.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	364.1 KB
ID:	338178

Has anyone seen this before? I have extensively checked the entire front cap.

Thoughts and comments are welcome..

Thank you..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2021, 05:26 AM   #2

We are actually getting a new spray on roof due to a 10' tear in our roof. I don't think you'll be very happy with the results of the repair or the poor calking job. I'd call Dicor as I believe that you need to rough up the plywood before the glue will hold. This might provide some additional info https://rvroof.com/2020/11/13/recent...roof-problems/
mjdenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Has anyone seen this before?
Yes, kinda common actually.

Your rubber roof was installed on the loose side.
Air flowing across the roof when cruising down the highway creates low pressure which lifts the loose rubber.

Would almost guarantee that no air is getting in the front cap and making it's way under the TPO/EPDM/PVC roof.

Also hard to believe the rubber is not under the frt cap and roof moulding.

I'm not on site so all of this is just suppositions.

But yeah, looks like all they did was dump some more lap seal on it.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:45 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Yes, kinda common actually.

Your rubber roof was installed on the loose side.
Air flowing across the roof when cruising down the highway creates low pressure which lifts the loose rubber.

Would almost guarantee that no air is getting in the front cap and making it's way under the TPO/EPDM/PVC roof.

Also hard to believe the rubber is not under the frt cap and roof moulding.

I'm not on site so all of this is just suppositions.

But yeah, looks like all they did was dump some more lap seal on it.

I took it back to the dealer/service center and called them out on the supposed re-stretch. Service writer tried to tell me that they did the work. I called him out on the process needed to re-stretch and re-capture the front edge. When presented with logic, he admitted that he did not check the work of his technician.

As I have been doing some research.. I have read about the low pressure/lift issue seen in some cases. While I believe there is some of this at play, I have on Go Pro video a large bubble (about 7 in in diameter) forming at the center front edge of the cap while driving. I have temporarily plugged the pinbox to cap hole and have not seen it re-surface. This being said, they will be re-doing the roof as this trailer is not even 3 months old.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #5

Great! I am glad the dealer is making things right. How long is it going to take them to get it in? I have heard they are booked up like just about everybody else.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:58 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulNSerenity View Post
Great! I am glad the dealer is making things right. How long is it going to take them to get it in? I have heard they are booked up like just about everybody else.
No Idea yet.. I am about to go on a trip and when we get back, we will drop it off. Probably another 45 days... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 08-03-2021, 05:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Gator View Post
No Idea yet.. I am about to go on a trip and when we get back, we will drop it off. Probably another 45 days... GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Sounds like my dealership in Ft Worth. I will NEVER darken their door again, for warranty work or anything else. Will go to the factory service center from here forward. Not sure if that is an option for you?

Anyway, you have my sympathies. Hoping for a good outcome for you.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #8

Sounds like you are on top of things.

I had a similar experience and my dealer ruined my roof but it really didn't show until it was out of warranty and by then I was so tired of dealing with those folks I just took care of it myself.

When they tried to re stretch the front roof on mine it looked like they may have used a torch to loosen the glue for about six feet so they would have enough material to stretch.

After about a year the rubber roof was about the same texture as dicore. You could take a fingernail and dig the rubber off when it was warm.

Just make sure it is done right.

Good luck
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 10:40 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Roof Update... I HATE it when I am right...

Sorry for the long post:

Ok, So we took off for South Dakota to meet our new Granddaughter...

Precious little girl... Makes me smile...

Then I think about the roof... GRRRRRR

We are traveling 800 miles from Dallas / Ft Worth area to Vermillion South Dakota... I do not trust the roof... So I attach a go pro to the front cap where I can see on my phone what is happening with the roof. Before lunch on day one of the trip, I have pictures of a bubble that is 8 feet wide (width of the trailer) and about 16 inches tall at the center. It also runs about 4 feet from front to back..

By now I am PISSED beyond all words.. I tried to call the servicing dealer...
1. The Service Writer I have been working with is on vacation for the next week.
2. The service writer I got on the phone would not touch this conversation with a 200 ft pole.
3. The Service Manager is out to lunch and he will call me back...

I am in Wichita Kansas about lunch time and I figure I am going to have to re-terminate the front of this roof membrane. From a previous trip, I know I am close to a Gander Outdoors and I head there. I pick up 2 tubes of Dicor and one roll of putty tape. There is a crystal shop and my daughter wants to stop by. So we stop in and while the wife and daughter look at crystals, I get the idea to call the RV Warranty department.

Warranty department actually was easy to talk to.. Got my VIN, Sent pics that I already had and then they discussed with me my exact plan of how to ensure I did not loose the roof or let water in...

As soon as I was off the phone with the warranty department, the service manager was returning my call. From previous emails and other information, he was painfully aware of what was happening. He asked for pics, which I sent while sitting in the crystal shop parking lot and informed me he was ordering the replacement roof materials and as soon as I get back they are going to get this done... He also covered exactly what I planned on doing and that was to pick up 2 pieces of wood firing (1"x2") and run them along the front seam and a second halfway between the front seam and the first vent.

A quick stop at Lowes and to the roof I went while my wife ran into Wally World.

By the time she returned I had the two strips screwed into the roof through the putty tape and covered the screws with Dicor.

The next 100 miles, the rubber did not move and I could relax.

Now we will see how long it takes to get this replaced on a trailer I have only owned for 2 months and 9 days....

Pics to come after we get back from South Dakota....
Old 08-07-2021, 09:04 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For a 2021 trailer, that is a miserable roof install. There should be ZERO bubbles, if it was put on correctly. Our 2013 HitchHiker roof is still flat and tight. I would insist that the roof be replaced in total.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:41 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
For a 2021 trailer, that is a miserable roof install. There should be ZERO bubbles, if it was put on correctly. Our 2013 HitchHiker roof is still flat and tight. I would insist that the roof be replaced in total.

Ken
Supplies for the complete replacement have been ordered and we have an appointment this Wednesday..
Old 08-08-2021, 08:38 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Gator View Post
Supplies for the complete replacement have been ordered and we have an appointment this Wednesday..
Make sure they properly glue down the new roof material. Also have them caulk and seal around the pinbox.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:25 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Roof Latest

Another 2 weeks in service and I received a call today. Crossroads has approved all of the issues that I reported. Biggest being that a new roof is going in. Now I get to wait for parts... Guess labor day is out? LOL....

In any case.. I seriously hope this is it. If not... I may have to lemon law the unit to either 1. Get everything resolved once and for all or 2. Out of the unit and into something else... It currently qualifies under time in service alone..
I really would rather not go down this road. Documenting everything so I have recourse if the dealer cannot get this right..

Tags
air, roof