Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2022, 09:18 AM   #1

RV Ladder

I have young children in my neighborhood coming to my home and climbing my RV ladder and playing on my roof. I’m wondering if there is something that I can put on my ladder to stop them.

Thank you
Stevo F
MrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #2

That there is the very reason I removed my ladder. I found out I could be held liable if a person or child, got hurt from climbing up my ladder or falling off the roof. Ask your lawyer.
Damon
Old 05-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFritz View Post
I have young children in my neighborhood coming to my home and climbing my RV ladder and playing on my roof. I’m wondering if there is something that I can put on my ladder to stop them.

Thank you
Stevo F
You need something to cover the rungs. Try something like a piece of plastic from a cutting board or similar. But you will need to mount it some way maybe with clamps & padlock. Go & look at steps going up to a water tower or similar place, that will give you an ideal on what you will need.

But the next time I would catch them on it, video it, call the cops and talk to their parents with the cops present.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 04:03 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Cut a piece of plywood, and use hooks to hang ti over the rungs 1/2 way up. Then figure out a lock system at the bottom rung.

Other than that, you might talk to the brats' parents and tell them that you will sue the parents if they damage your RV. I would like to suggest to the parents that they keep their kids off others property and to apply a belt to them if they misbehave....but CPS will get after you for abusing the rug rats.

Ask an attorney if posting no trespassing signs in accordance with your local ordinances and send the parents registered letters demanding that they keep the kids off your property would help.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:48 PM   #5

Um, that would happen exactly once and then those kids would never return.
sahively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:33 PM   #6

Wrap it with a tarp.. and spray paint keep off.. No Trespassing ! Then call pd and record when trespassers tare trap off.. then file charges and damages for labor at 200 per hour and new tarp..
You have to get tough .. sorry.. just too dangerous for children to play on.. not to mention the damage to roof..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 05-26-2022, 03:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
What was the parents’ response when you talked with them about their children’s climbing on your property?
Old 05-26-2022, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
I have young children in my neighborhood coming to my home and climbing my RV ladder and playing on my roof. ..................................
Just when you think you've heard it all.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:15 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Install a bolt on Ladder Gate Climb Preventive Shield to mitigate unauthorized access to fixed ladders and thus prevent property destruction, graffiti on the roof accompanying liability.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #10

Grease
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:

Thank you
Stevo F
In addition to all of the good recommendations, rather than being adversarial, I would first get photos of the little buggers "in the act" to show to their parents, telling them about your concern for the safety of their children. I would also explain to them that if it happens again you will call the police, not to be mean, but to protect their kids from harm and yourself from a potential lawsuit due to their kids trespassing..

I would hope my neighbors would work with me over my children's transgressions, rather than "giving me a piece of their mind" when they first approached me..
1stimerveer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimerveer View Post
In addition to all of the good recommendations, rather than being adversarial, I would first get photos of the little buggers "in the act" to show to their parents, telling them about your concern for the safety of their children. I would also explain to them that if it happens again you will call the police, not to be mean, but to protect their kids from harm and yourself from a potential lawsuit due to their kids trespassing..

I would hope my neighbors would work with me over my children's transgressions, rather than "giving me a piece of their mind" when they first approached me..
This.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:25 PM   #13

Beware of constructing physical barriers. It can make you liable for injuries because it can be argued YOU made the ladder unsafe. Remember we are a litigious society. Everything is someone else's fault. If you decide to do it anyway, one important thing is to avoid snag points. A common cause of death on older playground equipment was a kid's jacket, hood, or string getting caught on the equipment. A slip of the foot and a snag of the hood/jacket/hoodie string, and the kids strangles. A thing as simple as the knot on the end of the hoodie string can hold a kid's weight when stuck in a crack. A barrier's success also depends on the level of determination of the kid(s). Sometimes it becomes a challenge for the kid to defeat the barrier. Sometimes something simple is all it takes and they give up. For determined kids I always thought of it as an arms race.

Direct intervention is the best. Nothing wrong with being the jerk that yells at the kids for doing something they shouldn't. Beats broken bones and lawsuits any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Contacting the parents is another, but be ready for: "My kids says he/she doesn't do that." If I had a Nickle for every time I heard that . . . so photo or video is a good idea. That's one reason a lot of school busses have internal cameras. Call in the denying parents, and show them the video, suddenly everything changes, their little angel falls from heaven.

I had a lot of experience with kids climbing roofs at work and 99.9% of the time, a - "come down from there and don't let me catch you up there again!" - worked, especially with elementary aged kids. Middle and High Schoolers can be more combative and defiant. That's where pulling out the phone and saying you are calling the police bluff can work, as can making it obvious you are taking photos or a video. Older kids know how that works. Be prepared to follow through though, because older kids are great at calling bluffs, some little ones too.

Good luck.

If you catch them, don't try to scare the hell out of them when they are on the roof. Avoid making them panic and fall.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 03:42 PM   #14

[QUOTE=MrFritz;6193128]. Thank You everyone for your ideas on how to keep kids off the ladder. I do have a security system on my house with cameras and sounds. So showed the father of children the video. He was quite surprised and kind enough to offer his help in stopping the little buggers. I like the plywood idea but it’s rather heavy for traveling down the road. Of course I could just remove it while camper is in use by me. I am surprised that some type of safety guard hasn’t been invented for camper ladders. Thank You all for the suggestions.

Have a great camping session
Stevo
MrFritz is offline   Reply With Quote