Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #1

RV Parts and Service

Are there any manufacturers that are actually responsive to the owners trying to get parts? I've dealt with Heartland - they suck, and currently dealing with trying to get parts for my Cedar Creek. They also suck. Seems like the have no desire to answer calls/emails/questions/etc.

The covering on the bottom of my slide is fraying, exposing the wood. I've found that the factory places a rigid plastic slide under there when this happens under warranty, which I don't have. So I want to buy the part and do it myself. Factory - contact the dealer. Dealer - we don't know what your talking about. We just use tape to repair.

Oh yeah - and factory people seem to only be able to answer email or calls once per day, and can never answer the question during that one time. Why must it be a multi day conversation to obtain a f$#@$#ing part?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 01:02 PM   #2

The RV industry in general is one of the least responsive I've ever seen.

If a major automotive automaker had this kind of quality control, and this kind of service, they'd been laughed out of business long ago.

My guess is most of these are used recreationally a couple of times a year, so can sit in the shop the other 9 months and wait for parts, and typically full timers are retired and not in a hurry. I've had to learn to cool my jets considerably.....much less stressful now

*shrug*
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #3

I'm full timing, and also work a regular job. It's frustrating to have to spend hours/days tracking down a part that's specific to a manufacturer. Especially when you have a nice window of opportunity to fix the issue before it becomes a bigger issue. In this case, I will get the tape for a temp fix and continue trying to get a more permanent fix. Thank goodness I can do my own labor, or I'd end up living in a hotel more than the RV. While I like the lifestyle, I hate the industry that seems to be stuck in the stone age.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:12 PM   #4

Winnebago has detailed parts lists with numbers tags on each part. I've had three Moho since 1986 and every part I've needed they have had at dealerships or next day shipping. I bought a new skylight recently that was cheaper than one like it on amazon. I used to recommend Winnebago before they started using substandard slide systems 2010-2016.
Good luck
Old 10-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Are there any manufacturers that are actually responsive to the owners trying to get parts? I've dealt with Heartland - they suck, and currently dealing with trying to get parts for my Cedar Creek. They also suck. Seems like the have no desire to answer calls/emails/questions/etc.

The covering on the bottom of my slide is fraying, exposing the wood. I've found that the factory places a rigid plastic slide under there when this happens under warranty, which I don't have. So I want to buy the part and do it myself. Factory - contact the dealer. Dealer - we don't know what your talking about. We just use tape to repair.

Oh yeah - and factory people seem to only be able to answer email or calls once per day, and can never answer the question during that one time. Why must it be a multi day conversation to obtain a f$#@$#ing part?
I never had any issues when dealing with CEDAR CREEK, in fact they cut me a check for some parts I purchased for my trailer. I have had my trailer repaired and several others that I am aware of have had very good service from the Cedar Creek folks.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:49 PM   #6

I'm not the original owner, and I think that's changed the nature of the converstation. I've talked to Denise and Tami, and really haven't gotten anywhere with either of them, beyond a recommendation to have Orvan fix it.

I've got three things to fix - the bottom of the slide, which is minor and I can fix. The front is flexing beneath the bedroom slide, and has now cracked the fiberglass at the corner of the slide cutout, and I need that fixed. Finally, I damaged the rear cap, and I need to get that fixed.

I'm aware that I need to pay for the repairs and have no issues, but the only response they gave me was "Contact Orvan (Amish Family RV) or a dealership."

Was hoping for a little better customer service, but apparently not so much if you're not the original owner.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #7

Re-read and editing - My real issue is with the inability to get the part for the slide.

The other two issues - I wanted to have the factory repair, as they are familiar with the flexing issue and replacing the rear cap, but I'm fine with Orvan doing it. It's still frustrating that it takes multiple calls to get anything scheduled, regardless of who it seems to be in the RV industry.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
Re-read and editing - My real issue is with the inability to get the part for the slide.

The other two issues - I wanted to have the factory repair, as they are familiar with the flexing issue and replacing the rear cap, but I'm fine with Orvan doing it. It's still frustrating that it takes multiple calls to get anything scheduled, regardless of who it seems to be in the RV industry.
Just wait until it either takes them three weeks, or three separate tries to get it fixed.

When our slide broke, we had to beg for a service place to take us in (not in 2 months please??? we'd like to move!), and then they took 3 full weeks to fix it. Never plugged in the rig, ruined all the food in the fridge, killed the batteries, etc.

We are also full timers, and had to sleep on a friend's couch about 100 miles away. I got to work from the kitchen table. Good times.

Just trying to put it in perspective for you. I'm sure there are some amazing dealers and companies out there, and some people have some amazing experiences, especially from "the factory" for first owners who just bought their rigs... but you sometimes have to drive 1000+ miles to get there.

Its a weird industry.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #9

We've been very happy with our interactions with Grand Design. They haven't had to send us parts, but they are responsive to phone calls and emails.

Good luck.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:36 AM   #10

Carolina Campers
Grand Design will stand behind you if you are having issues with your dealer, however, as a source to routinely order parts, it doesn't appear to be an option.

GD has a "Parts Look" tool on their web page that will provide a part number for a specific part if you can find it. There is also a "Parts Inquiry" page, which I have found to be non-responsive.

To the point of the original post, I have NOT been able to order parts directly
from GD.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:40 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors Recreational Vehicles (ORV) has been very responsive to me for warranty work. They will even ship the parts to you if you have the skills to repair/install items.

I have made several phone calls to their factory, and received great response and help.

They are smaller than some of of the large RV builders, maybe as they grow, that will change. Hope not.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Outdoors Recreational Vehicles (ORV) has been very responsive to me for warranty work. They will even ship the parts to you if you have the skills to repair/install items.

I have made several phone calls to their factory, and received great response and help.

They are smaller than some of of the large RV builders, maybe as they grow, that will change. Hope not.
Very similar results here. Emails usually responded to within minutes.

Tags
parts, service