RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2021, 06:58 AM   #113

I have a 2001 Arctic Fox 29-5k, and the 8 cu. ft. RV fridge is TINY!!!!!

I was thinking about modifying the cabinetry to accommodate a Norcold 1200LRIM.

I found (free) a 1200LRIM with a blown cooling unit, and was going to have a 134a (DC) cooling unit put on it. I have heard that is an improvement over the old ammonia-based system. Plus, no LP usage for the fridge.

The fridge is mounted above the furnace, so getting into the freezer with a residential fridge could be problematic for my lovely but height-challenged wife.

(Dither, dither) If I replaced the seals in the 1200LRIM would it be a good choice? Either way it is going to take some major cabinet modifications.

Thoughts?
Grampatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampatech View Post
I have a 2001 Arctic Fox 29-5k, and the 8 cu. ft. RV fridge is TINY!!!!!

I was thinking about modifying the cabinetry to accommodate a Norcold 1200LRIM.

I found (free) a 1200LRIM with a blown cooling unit, and was going to have a 134a (DC) cooling unit put on it. I have heard that is an improvement over the old ammonia-based system. Plus, no LP usage for the fridge.

The fridge is mounted above the furnace, so getting into the freezer with a residential fridge could be problematic for my lovely but height-challenged wife.

(Dither, dither) If I replaced the seals in the 1200LRIM would it be a good choice? Either way it is going to take some major cabinet modifications.

Thoughts?
How many people are you feeding out of an 8 cu ft fridge that makes it tiny? Or for how long?

Two of us can go for more than a week using our small 12vdc compressor fridge easily. At first it took a bit of a learning curve, but once we realized that it wasn't necessary to put the entire weeks' beverages in the fridge (just the needs for the day) it freed up room for the food. We also remove most things from their packages or containers and re-package in ziplock bags since they take up much less room.

If you need more space and can make a larger fridge fit, then what would be your reasons not to? Before spending money on upgrading and installing the Norcold, check to see if there are any apartment units which will be easier/cheaper.

Another option is to stick with the smaller fridge for day-to-day use and then get a 12vdc chest cooler and put it in a storage bay for back-up supplies so you can carry what you need without making the modifications to your interior.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:43 AM   #115

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
How many people are you feeding out of an 8 cu ft fridge that makes it tiny? Or for how long?

Two of us can go for more than a week using our small 12vdc compressor fridge easily. At first it took a bit of a learning curve, but once we realized that it wasn't necessary to put the entire weeks' beverages in the fridge (just the needs for the day) it freed up room for the food. We also remove most things from their packages or containers and re-package in ziplock bags since they take up much less room.

If you need more space and can make a larger fridge fit, then what would be your reasons not to? Before spending money on upgrading and installing the Norcold, check to see if there are any apartment units which will be easier/cheaper.

Another option is to stick with the smaller fridge for day-to-day use and then get a 12vdc chest cooler and put it in a storage bay for back-up supplies so you can carry what you need without making the modifications to your interior.
I am with you. We have 7 cubic ft inside; Thus far we have never filled our freezer full. We put all of the refrigerated essentials in first and drinks last. If need be, we put other drinks in the outside fridge (Insignia) Oddly it is Residential and runs on inverter and not as cold as our Polar Norcold . I am in Texas and I think we have been in part the blame for heavy freeze because we accidentally left our Polar Norcold door open, since it did NOT require electricity it ran like a champ

Anyhow, we always keep out favorite beverages store in lower bay to feed both fridges. Frequently when fueling up, I will pull drinks from outdoor fridge. We do keep a cooler in lower bay but not certain why? We have never used I guess for just in case, and if we did have need for food overflow; 1 bag of ice and we could do exactly as you say.

But for Grandpatech he has 5th Wheel and may actually need for longer stays? I googled 2001 Arctic Fox 29-5k and the 2021 version I saw; had a 12 cu ft fridge so that may be his angle?
2019 Sunstar 29VE Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS Nighthawk X4 AC2200 WiFi EX7300; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #116

I guess we're just foodies , and there's not even 300lbs between us. I've got a mini outdoor fridge that i keep packed with adult beverages and d soda pop. Then the tiny indoor 7cuft dometic fridge is mostly packed with all condiments in the door, dog food on one shelf, left overs on another shelf, baking supplies on another shelf, and the days meal plan crammed in somewhere. We have a 2x3x4 chest freezer for Sam's and Costco and left overs, and 2 full pantrys from Wal-Mart. We're not end of the world dooms day folks, we just shop for deals and we ful time. This fridge is a joke for us and we can't wait to get the 21cuft LG resi fridge and get rid of the chest freezer and the outdoor fridge
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & ordering a 48fb w/ side patio luxe.
Billett Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:48 PM   #117

Dometic come out with a compressor refrigerator 10 cu ft.It run only on 12 v dc and is a lot cheaper than ammonia fridge.That refrigerator and a small freezer will do it.
buc1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 03:04 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am with you. We have 7 cubic ft inside; Thus far we have never filled our freezer full. We put all of the refrigerated essentials in first and drinks last. If need be, we put other drinks in the outside fridge (Insignia) Oddly it is Residential and runs on inverter and not as cold as our Polar Norcold . I am in Texas and I think we have been in part the blame for heavy freeze because we accidentally left our Polar Norcold door open, since it did NOT require electricity it ran like a champ

Anyhow, we always keep out favorite beverages store in lower bay to feed both fridges. Frequently when fueling up, I will pull drinks from outdoor fridge. We do keep a cooler in lower bay but not certain why? We have never used I guess for just in case, and if we did have need for food overflow; 1 bag of ice and we could do exactly as you say.

But for Grandpatech he has 5th Wheel and may actually need for longer stays? I googled 2001 Arctic Fox 29-5k and the 2021 version I saw; had a 12 cu ft fridge so that may be his angle?

Sorry, I have a 27-5k. We are currently looking to upgrade to a 29-5k.
Grampatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:37 AM   #119

Smile Going from RV Frig to Residential

I have enjoyed learning from everyone in this thread. We just out our new East to West Tandara 5th wheel home and are loading it in. So excited. Already we are learning that after after a 42FT Diesel pusher for 6 years, we have some changes ahead. I am crossing my fingers that you guys who have said the residential frig is okay with boondocking (within reason of course) are right. We will try it out for the first time in a week. I'm so in love with how pretty it is and how much space I have, and how cold it seems. Praying the real test will keep me as in love. (If not, my husband is threatening a 12 volt frig????? )
Sparkle7337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator