Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 01:47 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Sales

If and when I wanted to sale my RV, what is the best venue, forum, or website for determining current value, and/or finding interested buyers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 04:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
If and when I wanted to sale my RV, what is the best venue, forum, or website for determining current value, and/or finding interested buyers.
Forget about "best", post an ad for that sucker everywhere you can: Facebook Market Place, Craig's List, You Tube, eBay, Etsy, local buy/sell sites.

There are also local Facebook buy/sell pages specific to your area.

The wider you cast your net.......
Old 05-10-2021, 05:32 AM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
A close friend is selling his fifth wheel. He says he gets the biggest response from RVTrader and FB Marketplace. Not so much on RVT. RVT is less expensive than RVTrader but for whatever reason doesn't seem to have the same following.
Everyone wants a bargain, too, so be willing to take a lot less for it than you want. New rigs are available for much less than many higher priced-point used rigs so many will only be considering price your asking price. The price new is irrelevant.
I'd price it based in the mid way point between low/high range of the NADA and forget about adding the options. Simply do the base without options. No one cares about all that except the seller.
It's sad to see someone asking more for a 2 or 3 year old rig when you know it's possible to purchase it for new for less. That tells you that got soaked when they bought it.
jdpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:10 AM   #4
JDT

Also keep in mind that RV sales have been good and getting new units has been spotty due to some parts shortages so it may be a good time to sell. NADA average retail on my fifth wheel is more than I paid for it a year ago and that is without any options. Actually getting it might be another thing but do some research. See what like units prices are out there, check with a dealer or two, ask about consignment, etc. I sold a motorhome thru a dealer consignment in 2012 and actually got more than I thought I would even after paying the commission. The best thing was I didn't have to mess with any of the financing details and most of the paperwork nor deal with the scammers and tire kickers.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
A close friend is selling his fifth wheel. He says he gets the biggest response from RVTrader and FB Marketplace. Not so much on RVT. RVT is less expensive than RVTrader but for whatever reason doesn't seem to have the same following.
Everyone wants a bargain, too, so be willing to take a lot less for it than you want. New rigs are available for much less than many higher priced-point used rigs so many will only be considering price your asking price. The price new is irrelevant.
I'd price it based in the mid way point between low/high range of the NADA and forget about adding the options. Simply do the base without options. No one cares about all that except the seller.
It's sad to see someone asking more for a 2 or 3 year old rig when you know it's possible to purchase it for new for less. That tells you that got soaked when they bought it.
So, is NADA valuation actually keeping current in the pre-owned RV market place? When searching for a pre-owned toy hauler last year the NADA valuation wasn't even close to the asking price of ANY of the approximately dozen units we looked at in dealerships and private sale from Cody Wy. to Phoenix Az. including several in Co..
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #6
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
So, is NADA valuation actually keeping current in the pre-owned RV market place? When searching for a pre-owned toy hauler last year the NADA valuation wasn't even close to the asking price of ANY of the approximately dozen units we looked at in dealerships and private sale from Cody Wy. to Phoenix Az. including several in Co..
I'm not sure about RV's listed by NADA but they are keeping up with the truck market. I checked my truck the other day and average retail is $10K more than I paid for it. That would be great if I didn't have to replace it with something similar that doesn't exist right now.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:12 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsutherland View Post
It would appear that you answered your own question, but thanks for sharing that experience.
Old 05-11-2021, 05:46 AM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I think the NADA is just a guide. IT depends on the RV. Some models are more desirable than others and may bring those values. Also, look at RVTrader and listings for a specific model. The prices are all over the place. I think geographics and time of year makes a difference, too.
jdpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:18 AM   #9

As already mentioned post it everywhere. With that said we sold our New Horizon 5th wheel a few months ago in just a few days with it listed on RV Trader. The Class A we sold before got the lead from a ad on Craigslist.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:20 AM   #10

The way they are selling right now I think you could put a sign on it in your front yard & have it sold in a few weeks! I am not a fan of Craig's List as there are too many sketchy people on there. Facebook Market place is good right now & RV Trader as well. With the demand, you should be able to get a good price for it.
Old 05-11-2021, 07:40 AM   #11

You can check out RV Pricing and Appraisals. They have a FB page and a webpage. I’ve used them several times for buying and selling.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadEyePie View Post
It would appear that you answered your own question, but thanks for sharing that experience.
We were looking last summer and fall. The time period I'm having questions about is now. Wondering if NADA valuation of RVs is more in line with the current (this spring) prices found at dealerships and private sales? Seems like it hasn't in our neck of the woods but this forum is coast to coast. So, what are y'all seeing outside of the mountain states region? Are you still seeing wide disparity?
rrsutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:21 AM   #13

Facebook worked well for us. We had a Grand Design 5er and part of the GD Facebook group. Without posting it for sell we mentioned in a post we might be looking at selling and had private messages within minutes. We bought new and had the unit for 13 months and sold it for what we bought it for.

I was lucky in that I had a cash buyer willing to wire over 80k. It was my first RV sell but things went perfect. I have heard horror stories since where consignment and taking a bit of a hit might be worth not going through the potential headache.
r3842id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post
Forget about "best", post an ad for that sucker everywhere you can: Facebook Market Place, Craig's List, You Tube, eBay, Etsy, local buy/sell sites.

There are also local Facebook buy/sell pages specific to your area.

The wider you cast your net.......

As someone who is also about to sell an RV, thanks for the suggestion to post on You Tube. Never thought of that, but I do know a visual walkthrough is worth a thousand words!
Souljourner is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale