Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Rv tires

We have a 33 ft 5th wheel with 3 slides and we full time. I've thought about setting our trailer on blocks up to the frame since we don't plan on going anywhere for a while. We're able to stay here for quite a while if we need to. My question is, while we have the trailer on blocks I thought about letting all the air out of the tires. Would that be good for them or should I just leave them like they are? I have them covered so they are not in the sun. Is it a bad idea to put the trailer on blocks or should I leave the weight on the tires? This is the longest we've ever stayed in one place without moving. I tried searching for an answer but couldn't find anything in the forum.
Thanks for the help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
Yours tires will probably time out before they wear out!
dsnutes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:57 PM   #3

By a long time do you mean 3 6 months or years? Less than a year, cover them to protect them from sun. If more than a year, cover them, and inspect them before going back on the road. Also be sure to check date codes and replace if their more than 5 years old.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #4

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx

A google show dozens of pages about tire care for short or long term storage.

My rv trailer isn't used from around nov 1st to around sometime in April. My trailer(s) sits in a shed on 2" X 8" boards out of the sun. I keep them pumped to max sidewall pressure (80 psi) during that time...and of course 24/7 when in use. I use LT tires and their good for 7-8 years and 50k-55k miles with no issues.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #5

It depends on how long the storage is.
For less than 6 months, just put boards under the tires to keep them off concrete or dirt and covered from the sun. For a year in storage, then take the weight off the tires. For more than a year storage, remove the tires and but them in heavy duty sealed plastic bags and store them in a cool dark place.

Like others posted, after 5 years of tires aging, the risk factor for tire failure will increase on a logarithmic scale.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:14 AM   #6

If possible I would park them on boards and just cover them up. Like was mentioned before you will age the tires out before you wear them out and don't go over 4 - 5 years before replacing them. Others will disagree with that time frame but I have had them come apart and they do terrible damage to the trailer. The hassle is much worse than just changing them out.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:39 AM   #7

Official iRV2 Sponsor

In response to your question - keep the tires out of the sun and do not use tire dressing (it causes the tire to absorb UV and shortens tire life), regarding letting the air out of the tires --- how long with the RV be on blocks. If the RV will be on blocks for 3 months, then no need letting the air out. If we are talking about a year - that's a different matter.
Hope this answers your question and safe travels to you and your family.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:07 AM   #8

Tires

Thanks for the replies. We figure we will not travel for about a year or until this virus calms down.

Tags
tires