Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #1

Evergreen Owners Club
RV water heater

I don't have a problem just trying to understand how it works.
My question is will my water heater run when powered up using either gas or electricity, water in tank from previous use but no water presently being supplied.
Is there some type of internal switch that must sense water pressure before it allows the burner to ignite or the element work.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2017, 04:21 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not that I know of. Just takes a short time to burn out the electric element, no need to ask how I found out.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #3

No water flow or no hot water? Check for bypass valves (used when winterizing).

There's no pressure/flow switches unless it's an "on demand" unit.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #4

....not familiar with yr brand of rig...or what W/H you have but generally speaking, most W/Hs will work on propane, electric, or both....no way to sense water level so it is pretty common to burn out electric element because of no/low water.....propane side may have a high temp limiter.....do you have a problem with water flow into the tank, or just asking about how it works?
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
check the one way valve. Make sure it is not stuck
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyd View Post
check the one way valve. Make sure it is not stuck
Those check valves are good about coming apart.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
Wow you guys are good and fast. Just trying to understand how it all work and don't want to burn anything out
Old 12-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracers31 View Post
I don't have a problem just trying to understand how it works.
My question is will my water heater run when powered up using either gas or electricity, water in tank from previous use but no water presently being supplied.
Is there some type of internal switch that must sense water pressure before it allows the burner to ignite or the element work.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris
No, there's no internal pressure sensor, but there are ones for over temperature.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #9

No pressure or flow is required to fire up the electric element and/or the gas burner, they're thermostatically controlled and as long as water is present nothing can be harmed.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No internal pressure sensor on mine, and I tore the thing apart last summer and installed a new tank so if there was one. I did not see it.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:44 AM   #11

The short answer is 'yes' if you turn it on it will heat. If there is water in the tank it will heat the water. If there is no water in the tank and you turn on the electric it will burn out the element in seconds (so I'm told). If there is no water in the tank and you turn on the propane side you will have a fire heating an empty tank.
The only controls I know of are the thermostat to control the temp and the pressure pop off valve to vent off excess pressure.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
they have a hi and low limit buttons. Electric elements must be submerged or they will burn out, there are no sensors for this. the hi/lo limits are for water only and don;t work on air. By pass plumbing for winterizing is on most modern coaches, if no water then look to these. I'd turn off unit, pull the plug on the outside of the tank, drain the tank. if no water then you have a valve shut off some where. play with the valves until you get water out of the tank, flush it a bit, then reinstall plug. let air out of the over pressure valve on top until water comes out. If air is in tank it will leak water until the air has been removed. Only way to do this is to release the valve then run the hot water faucet. BOTH!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:24 AM   #13

There is not a water pressure nor water present nor water level detector. This absence is the number one reason that causes the electric heating element to fail. Without water the electric element fails within seconds after power is applied. I am guessing that on the propane side, there is a high temperature sensor on the heat exchanger that shuts off the propane solenoid valve.
RCAircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:26 AM   #14

Always shut off mine

Only use the electrical side on my HWH, then only turn on right before we need hot water , always make a point of shutting off when you get done camping and go home.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater