Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #15

You can try these skirts to keep the underbelly warmer and block the wind etc.

Make-N-Ship Skirting or 1 Day on site skirting locally and skirting panels
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2011, 06:33 PM   #16

I am having the onsite skirt done next winter. It is 16 mil and snaps on. They place access zippers where you want and did an awesome job on a rig here. I got a quote for $1,500 which I think is great.

Had I known the contact prior to last week I would have done this winter, but temps are looking good now, few wimpy snow storms through April and i'm good.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you have slides, be sure you have lots of old towels, rags, etc to plug all the holes normally found around the corners that leak air.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:01 AM   #18

If you have air intrusion due to leaks you are better off using the round foam tubes you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot for $3 in 6' lengths. If you need to cut them you can easily. They wont absorb moisture like a rag or towel will. If your slide has old or missing insulation rubber outside and needs to be replaced in Summer, you can tuck the foam tubes under your slide floor to stop air intrusion until you do repair.

While in Fountain Colorado we had some 60 mph winds that ripped half my black insulation liner from my 16' slide off and wind was letting freezing air in under the slide floor. I had extra foam tubes and just tucked them under slide floor to stop cold air till I could make repair.

Cotton towels or rags would have been popsicles, stopping air but remaining very cold themselves.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #19

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
Do you use your slide-outs during freezing period? I think, there are thermal bridges to bring cold air into your living room, right?

Chrissy
We bring in the slides in cold temps to help save on LP, less area to heat. We spend most of our time off gird so we have learned to conserve. I our case thats 350 cubic feet less area to heat.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #20

Ray,
I did not have any list of states prohibiting open flame devices while traveling. My bad. I believe it is an issue of safety. So as to follow up on this. I have been checking with authorities in Montana to see if in fact this is an issue of legality, or not. I will post what I am able to find out. In the mean time I would encourage others to check with their state's DOT, State Patrol, Fire Marshals Office, and at least check with manufacture's recommendation in their owner/operator manuals. This way we can do away with the myths, one way or the other. We will then keep rigs warm, refrigerators cold , and every one safe and happy, eh.
DEW
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #21

Some folks spend the entire winter in sub freezing temps, such as myself. Bringing in slide is not practicle. But I have shore power and everthing runs on gas or electric with my option other than the furnace and stove.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 100lb propane external tank provided by the campground at a fee of course, (but only for the gas). we set the temp to 60 if we are gone for the day & 50 if we are gone several days. We set it to 68 when we are home. We turn on the hot water heater when temps drop below freezing. We also have noticed that there is a cold draft from the under dashboard area. We have placed our down sleeping bags in this area & it helps a lot. we have placed our self inflating sleeping pads against the walls & drivers door. Along with the cold sometimes comes high winds. We also put down our antenna if the winds are high or snow is predicted just in case. We use a heated water hose and also put a trouble light in the water hookup bay with a 40watt incandesant light bulb, but be careful to place it where it will not rest on anything & cause excessive heat build up on that surface. I also layed covered insulation blankets in the water service bay.