Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2017, 06:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampowerwago View Post
Seems like I am always seconding what Cummins says, but he is right on the 4.10s. We towed a DRV 38TKSB3 that was pretty light as far as DRV goes...it was about 17.500#. I towed it with a 2012 Ram Dually with 4.10s and a 2015 Ram Dually with 3.73s. I now have a SRW 3500 with 3.42s towing a 14,000# Arctic Fox.

The DRV was fine behind either of the duallys, but the 3.73s made it tough to find the correct engine rpm at a good speed. Either going too fast or too slow to put the engine around the torque peak. The 4.10s were good in 6th and the 3.42s are good in 5th. I would buy the 3.42s over 3.73s any day of the week.

I have never owned an Aisin, but if I was towing at the weight you will be, I would have one. You will love that truck! You have equipped it correctly!!
Good information here, thanks.
Patriot65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:45 PM   #30

With that new truck you will want to have the two inch suspension riser installed with the MorRyde IS suspension. You will need it for bed to trailer overhang clearance.
Spencer & Tracie RVM#62
2013 RAM 3500DRW 4x4 Laramie, Cummins, 385HP,850FTLBS Aisin Trans
2014 DRV Elite Suite 41RESB4
Spare puller:2004 RAM3500DRW Cummins (DW's truck)
Roosters 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:07 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot65 View Post
So, I haven't been able to find a list of differences between the Elite and Mobile Suites. Have you?

(Done deal with my truck, 4.10 with rear air suspension.)
I would contact Alicia at Rolling Retreats. We drove from NW WA to Elk city, OK on New Years Day 2015 arrived a few days later. We stayed at their business with hookups. We spent 3 days with Alicia looking at the DRV's they had on their lot and discussed lots of options and designs. We left there with a really good price on our custom RV and a good trade in on our 07.5 MS.

GET the 2" risers!!! also the MORryde IS 9K axles.

Go to rollingretreats.com scroll down to happy customers scroll down on left side red kenworth in pic with our RV 2016 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3. Lots of pics.

We have Elite flooring, woodwork, countertops, LOTS of upgrades like 3 AC's, GEN.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I would contact Alicia at Rolling Retreats. We drove from NW WA to Elk city, OK on New Years Day 2015 arrived a few days later. We stayed at their business with hookups. We spent 3 days with Alicia looking at the DRV's they had on their lot and discussed lots of options and designs. We left there with a really good price on our custom RV and a good trade in on our 07.5 MS.

GET the 2" risers!!! also the MORryde IS 9K axles.

Go to rollingretreats.com scroll down to happy customers scroll down on left side red kenworth in pic with our RV 2016 Mobile Suites 39 TKSB3. Lots of pics.

We have Elite flooring, woodwork, countertops, LOTS of upgrades like 3 AC's, GEN.
Second person on this thread advising Rollingretreats.com. I contacted them.

Third person recommending the 2 inch risers! An obvious necessity!

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #33

The IS will come on the DRV; the 2" riser needs to be ordered, not added later--much less cost.
As Cummins said, DRV 'dry weights' are extremely understated. I just got a 2015 38RSSA that was stated as being 16300 'dry'--I weighed it as soon as a got to a scales and the trailer itself was 18020 with only about 300lbs of personal stuff. I don't know of any way to find out the actual delivered weight if DRV won't tell you before delivery, but their literature is way off on this. I THINK this is because their 'dry weight' is a bare bones model that doesn't exist because there are 2 or 3 'forced options' that you HAVE to get.
You can take a Suites model and add some Elite options--I do not think the Elite is worth the extra cost, nor the extra weight.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
The IS will come on the DRV; the 2" riser needs to be ordered, not added later--much less cost.
As Cummins said, DRV 'dry weights' are extremely understated. I just got a 2015 38RSSA that was stated as being 16300 'dry'--I weighed it as soon as a got to a scales and the trailer itself was 18020 with only about 300lbs of personal stuff. I don't know of any way to find out the actual delivered weight if DRV won't tell you before delivery, but their literature is way off on this. I THINK this is because their 'dry weight' is a bare bones model that doesn't exist because there are 2 or 3 'forced options' that you HAVE to get.
You can take a Suites model and add some Elite options--I do not think the Elite is worth the extra cost, nor the extra weight.
Points well taken about stated weights and I will indeed post my results here when I have them.

But now I have to bite the bullet and ask after so many references. What ARE 2" risers, where are they installed and what is the problem if I don't have them? I believe everybody, but what are they?
Old 02-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #35

Sorry that we take some things for granted...
2" riser is a 2" sq tubing spacer between the bottom of the frame and the IS suspension. In effect, it raises the trailer 2" to help with clearance on the new high-bed pickups. If you had a new GM or Ram, you need it for sure. And I believe I have heard it is needed on the '17 Fords.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 PM   #36

Quote:

......As Cummins said, DRV 'dry weights' are extremely understated.....
This is interesting as I have read the same thing on other forums on the ole interweb. Our experience with a 358TKSB3 was different. It was close to the listed dry weight when empty and fully loaded while we were living in it, it was 700# under gross. Best I remember, the Gross Rating of the trailer was 18,300# and ours weighed 17,600 loaded. So ours seemed to have been lighter for some reason.

We no longer have the trailer though....
rampowerwago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Sorry that we take some things for granted...
2" riser is a 2" sq tubing spacer between the bottom of the frame and the IS suspension. In effect, it raises the trailer 2" to help with clearance on the new high-bed pickups. If you had a new GM or Ram, you need it for sure. And I believe I have heard it is needed on the '17 Fords.

Here is my rig at MORryde getting 3" risers added.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Here is my rig at MORryde getting 3" risers added.

Does the MORryde have a oil bath hub or greased bearings?

On a side note and PM me if this takes the thread too far off topic... I believe you mentioned in another thread that you liked Bilstein shocks for your TV. I have been looking and cannot find a listing for our trucks with factory rear air suspension. Have you changed out the factory shocks on your truck?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:39 AM   #39

rampowerwago,
By the model number, you had a Tradition? They are built differently, but still interesting that it came out under the factory weights.
Old 02-18-2017, 12:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
Does the MORryde have a oil bath hub or greased bearings?

On a side note and PM me if this takes the thread too far off topic... I believe you mentioned in another thread that you liked Bilstein shocks for your TV. I have been looking and cannot find a listing for our trucks with factory rear air suspension. Have you changed out the factory shocks on your truck?
I believe they will do whatever you want, grease or oil bath.

Bilstein does NOT have a shock for the factory rear air ride system. Honestly if they did I don't think I would change. The factory shocks are top quality US Made Nitrogen. I replaced the fronts to help with reverb after hitting a chuckhole.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:03 AM   #41

You probably will have over 5,000 lbs pin weight with that MS. With cargo, fuel, hitch and passengers you may be close to your payload rating. I know I am.
Dranoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 AM   #42

My DRW comes in at 5560 payload.

RAM Trucks - Towing & Payload capacity
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase