Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #15

I have a satellite in box and another outlet next to it. I assume is for the regular cable? I am confused as to which outlet to use inside the camper. I understand one of the cable outlets is for the roof antenna, but I have a double outlet next to it which I assume is the satellite in outlet. Why is there a double outlet and which one do I use?
Abndrillsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #16

If you have two coax wall plates behind tv one having two coax fitting and the other having one and push button on it. The bottom of the two coax is the inlet of the coax that is outside of your unit. Wether its cable or sat doesnt mater. Put a cable from that to sat box and from box to tv. If you have a coax out on sat box can hook that to the top coax on the plate with to and it will give you sat to the rest of tvs in unit as long as the plate with one coax has the button for power off. For cable put a small jumper cable between the two on same plate and one from the plate with just one to the tv turn off power on plateand you got cable to all tvs. Turn on power and you will be using the antenna for local channels. Hope this helps.
Mannys5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To the OP, When we had an older 5er, there was only a cable connection on the outside. To run the sat. it needs to have a small amount of power from the receiver to the dish. So you must run a separate coax to the from the box to the sat dish. The cable connection won't allow the power out to the sat. dish. We ran it through the slide when it was part way out, each time we set up. The newer models have better wiring for the sats.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #18

RG6 cable is for satelite-allows power to the dish
rg59 is for cable tv service-no power to dish,won't work
Old 06-30-2013, 06:30 AM   #19

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The external jack is not intended for Satellite TV

The "indoor" end of that cable hooks to a bunch of electronics (The RF/Switch, amplifier power supply) and this is not allowed for Sat work, it very simply won't work unless you make modifications.

And it is usually RG-59, RG-59 is very lossy at Sat Frequencies, more than a few feet of it can be an issue.

My Recommendation is to install a new RG-6 line, labeled SAT on the outside (Either in a basement or via a bulkhead connector) and forget the existing cable line.. (Use it as designed)

Winegard's recommendations are as follows.

Inside the RV you have a wall plate (Or a box of many buttons, I'll cover the wall plate first)
It has a 12 volt outlet, Switch, LED, and antenna fitting.

REMOVE it from the wall, on the back there should be 2,3 or 4 coax cables,, With the 12 volt socket at the top, looking at the back the left one goes to the antenna on the roof.

The next one is the park cable line, DISCONNECT IT.

Connect the TV-OUT cable from the sat receiver in it's place.

Using a double female connector (What we call a Barrel conector due to it's shape) AND a short coax "jumper" extend the park cable to the LNB in on the Sat receiver,

(you may need to drill a hole for the cable, I recommend drilling it in the wall plate, Or better yet, "install" that barrel connector in the wall plate and label it "SAT" as well) then extend to the LNB in.

With teh switch off, it should work.

Box of many buttons.

On the back find the cable attached to the "CABLE" input on the box, Transfer it to the LNB in on the sat receiver.

But I still prefer to leave existing cables alone and install my own RG-6,, My receiver compartment is overhead, the RG-6 runs down the A pillar, under the dash, out thrhough the firewall (My rig is a gasser) to a ground block on the brake bell crank bracket under the hood, out of the weather and well protected.