Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #1

Satellite tv

The external jack on my fifth wheel works when I hook park cable service but I tried to hook direct tv through it and it did not work. Does anybody know why.
browns111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2011, 07:16 AM   #2

Are you saying you are trying to hook a DirecTV receiver to park cable service?? If so, it definitely will not work. DirecTV is satellite service and the park system is probably cable service such as Charter.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are using a portable dish to hook into the outside connection.
The inside connection cable will be needed to be unhooked from a switch box inside and rehooked to the DirecTV Receiver.

Otherwise that cable can be getting some feed back from the Batwing amplifier 12V.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #4

Don't know how new your rig is, but we had the same problem with class "c" built in 1997. The tv cable installed would work with a cable hook up, but was not compatable with sat. tv. Had to run a new wire.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now I do admit I have seen ONE, exactly ONE RV which had an external jack, from the factory for Sat TV,, Just one. I was shocked.

The park-cable inlet is hooked to an antenna switch somewhere in your rig, This switch is either a box with many buttons or a wall plate with one button, a light, and usually an antenna connection and a 12 volt outlet.

You Can re-task it for Sat tv but I do not recommend doing so.. The reason is two fold

1: you might want to use it as designed, and 2: It is usually RG-59, 59 is not nearly as good as RG-6 which is specified for Sat use.

I suggest running a dedicated cable (RG-6) to a basement or bulkhead connection and labeling that for SAT TV..

The one RV I mentioned above.... That is EXACTLY what the manufacturer did.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #6

wa8xym,
Maybe I misunderstood what you said about satellite TV jack? Most every trailer I have looked at since 2002 has had a cable and a satellite connection built in.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #7

As Triker56 said-I have been using my external connector for years on my 97 Kountryaire for both and satellite hook up. Just have to select correct mode on switch box. Suggest you give it a little thought and then try it out before rewiring.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I have 2 jacks; one for cable and the other for satellite. The coax from the cable jack goes directly into the Wingard switch. The coax from the satellite jack leads into the entertainment center and is just labeled SATELLITE. This plugs into my receiver. Your satellite connection will not work thru the Wingard switch (if it is between the dish and the receiver) as it does not pass thru the voltage that the receiver sends to the dish LNBF.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Now I do admit I have seen ONE, exactly ONE RV which had an external jack, from the factory for Sat TV,, Just one. I was shocked.
My 05 Fleetwood and now my 08 Winne both have jacks for Cable and Satellite in the electrical utility bay.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #10

My 11Mini Lite has both satt and catv external jacks. I know (from experience) if u accidently plug the dtv dish into the external catv instead of the satt line it will not work. Never used catv in a cg, only dtv and it is portable, not a Wingard.
toadswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #11

My fleetwood has external jack, I have used CG cable when I first bought RV, same jack used for Dish Network stand alone dish.
Its Paid For is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:38 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
I installed an A/B switch on the cable running from the rear connector to the Winegard switch box.

The A cable was connected to the switch box. B Cable was connected to another A/B switch.

The second switch A cable was the coax running from the roof top sat antenna.

The B cable was the cable from the first A/B switch.

The output cable connected to the Sat Receiver/DVR Sat In connector.

To watch Sat TV with a rear dish, I then had to switch both A/B switches to B and everything works (at least for the past nine years. )

This probably only works with a single LNB connection.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #13

I just got Dish and the Tailgater. When I bypass the RV satellite connection and hook the Tailgater directly into the back of the receiver, it works just fine. When I hook up the antenna to the outside satellite connection and run coax from the back of the receiver to the entertainment center connection there is no satellite service. Can anyone make any suggestions as to what I should do to remedy this problem?
Old 04-22-2013, 06:32 AM   #14

Check on jumper wires in your cabinet at tv or satellite junction box and hook up with straight feed from back of unit to your reciever or look at your Manuel u have for your unit to see how the jumper wires need to be switched to work.
Rcnewell11 is offline   Reply With Quote