Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2021, 06:45 AM   #1

Saw an Alliance yesterday

I was perusing Class C examples and saw an Alliance 5th wheel there and the salesman showed it to me. Attractive inside but a typical rear living configuration. Salesman, young fellow, was all excited about what he thought was an "innovative" feature" Three air conditioners standard and the 2 in the living area were direct dump for the "efficiency" not ducted. The BR one was ducted. I tried to explain to him that ducted, while it did lose some airflow, was better so you could run the LR one at night and not have the cycling BR one over your head all night. But he had the basic "kool-aid" knowledge and spiels.

Alliance RV totally missed the mark if they think that feature is a strong or even desired selling point. From that point alone I would not consider it. I didn't get into any real inspection of build quality except did feel inside cabinet framing and it's wrapped likely MDF like most lower and mid level RVs are. Oh and he didn't know what MDF was along with some other area lack of RV knowledge.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2021, 09:08 AM   #2

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
LOL!
Old 02-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #3

Typical...as expected.
psmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:39 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Typical salesperson. However, having one in my driveway, I can tell you the air conditioners work great!

Good luck in your hunt.

//KMac
kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac7800 View Post
Typical salesperson. However, having one in my driveway, I can tell you the air conditioners work great!

Good luck in your hunt.

//KMac
I don't doubt the air works good, 3 in an RV that size should be able to hang meat. But with ducted you can still go the direct dump on any air. Don't understand why they didn't make all units ducted, not just the BR.

IF I decide that a C is not my style or too cramped I may go back to a RL type 5th wheel IF my motorcycle riding days are over and I sell the Raptor. Bunch of IFs.

Other than the "quirky" air distribution system (quirky IMHO), how do you like the build quality and reliability so far?
Old 02-11-2021, 03:29 PM   #6

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
The faster they can slap them together the more money they can make before they sell out to a conglomerate. I have the "ducted return quiet air" on my fiver and I really like it for the sound deadening and the ability to be able to direct the air throughout the coach.
The one advantage to the traditional type is its a little easier to service through the ceiling as compared to being only serviceable on the roof.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have the same issue with Lance trailers. They are not ducted because they have a low ceiling that is a foam sandwich leaving no room for ducting. That AC cycling on and off above your head would make sleeping tough.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 10:11 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker View Post
Other than the "quirky" air distribution system (quirky IMHO), how do you like the build quality and reliability so far?

I feel good about the quality. We used the rig 15 days last year, and only found 3 items on the first year fixup: 1) the wire for the bathroom fan was accidentally wired to the lights (ie lights had to be on in order for fan to run), 2) the TV booster was accidentally wired backwards (they have since relocated the booster, and 3) the flooring in the BR was being mangled by the roller of the slide. I fixed number 2 on my own, but had the dealership fix number 1 and 3.

The idea behind no ducts was the "inefficiency" of cooling a hot duct (because they are in the roof) ~before~ getting cool air into the rig. We only had 50amp once last year and that was in Oct, so we were not running ACs at the time. When we were running them we were on 30amp and had the rig cooled comfortably with 2 of them.

Beyond that, they are still a mass produced product and there can be issues. Would I buy another one? Yes, I would.

Hopefully this helps!

//KMac
kmac7800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac7800 View Post
I feel good about the quality. .........Would I buy another one? Yes, I would.........
Thanks for the report! We just ordered the same (Alliance 310RL) to get sometimes next week.

What is your experience with the huge windows? I am a bit worried it may take a lot of power when very hot or cold outside, was even wondering to apply sometimes 3M insulation window film.
Jerry Burks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
Thanks for the report! We just ordered the same (Alliance 310RL) to get sometimes next week.

What is your experience with the huge windows? I am a bit worried it may take a lot of power when very hot or cold outside, was even wondering to apply sometimes 3M insulation window film.
If you are ordering, I would suggest dual pane windows if that's offered. Some improvement in R value, good sound insulation also. Significant reduction in condensation. I ordered them in my Raptor, had them in previous motorhome and like them. Well worth the $$$$.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We looked at one Alliance 5er and did not see that it was any better than other 5th wheels in that class. Just a typical RV with another name on it.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:40 PM   #12

Actually I feel non ducted is a plus. Ceiling hottest place in an rv for a duct. It is a proven fact ducts hurt efficiency.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Actually I feel non ducted is a plus. Ceiling hottest place in an rv for a duct. It is a proven fact ducts hurt efficiency.
2 types of ducting. A common method used in Grand Designs for example ducts the air flow throughout the RV and the return is a typical ceiling plate. In that application you can open the vents on it for direct dump. Others use a remote return with typically foam filters in vents and has no ceiling plate and no direct dump of cooled air. My Raptor has the ceiling plate so I can direct the air either way in the front 2 units. Garage unit direct dump only and not connected to the living area ducts. GFs Crusader has the remote returns and no ceiling plate and the ducted air flow is weak but I largely attribute it to poorly constructed ducts. Works just weak flow thus weak cooling. The ducting running through the hot "attic" space certainly contributes to the performance.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:29 AM   #14

The direct dumps may be more efficient, but you can hardly hear the tv with it running.
My current fw has styrofoam ducts that are connected between the two ac units, and all supply vents, and you can run the front, rear, or both ac's to cool the whole rv.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alliance