Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2018, 04:24 AM   #1

Saw this and thought you 5th wheelers may want to know

about this. Problems with the 2018 ford 6.7l diesel engine.

http://www.forthepeople.com/class-ac...ilure-lawsuit/
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2018, 04:44 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
about this. Problems with the 2018 ford 6.7l diesel engine.

http://www.forthepeople.com/class-ac...ilure-lawsuit/
Unless I read it incorrectly, it does not include the 2018 in the law suit.
wkbhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #3

The 2011 Chevy that I just traded in is on the list. It's a well-known issue on the Chevy forums.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:35 AM   #4

Is this the "mesothelioma lawyer" of autos?
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
IC2

There are occasional failures on this Bosch fuel pump and it's not due as that 'ambulance chaser' tort lawyer said is his 5th grade language notice. It's due to crap or water in the fuel. The fuel pump is standard across most of the US diesel pickup truck lineup. Yes, it could be a bit more tolerant of crud, but it isn't.

On a Ford, there are two fuel filters. The one on the frame has a drain which you, per the owners manual, are supposed to drain every 30 days to dump any water. The filters are supposed to be changed every 3rd oil change or 15-20K miles or you may have expensive consequences. So far at 116K miles, mine has had regular drains and changed every 2nd oil change (13-15K miles) - and nary a problem.

Ask youself, how many of these have you actually heard about
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
There are occasional failures on this Bosch fuel pump and it's not due as that 'ambulance chaser' tort lawyer said is his 5th grade language notice. It's due to crap or water in the fuel. The fuel pump is standard across most of the US diesel pickup truck lineup. Yes, it could be a bit more tolerant of crud, but it isn't.

On a Ford, there are two fuel filters. The one on the frame has a drain which you, per the owners manual, are supposed to drain every 30 days to dump any water. The filters are supposed to be changed every 3rd oil change or 15-20K miles or you may have expensive consequences. So far at 116K miles, mine has had regular drains and changed every 2nd oil change (13-15K miles) - and nary a problem.

I believe that the Cummins 6.7L engine still uses the Bosch CP3 fuel pump. I checked on the TDR forum and it seems there are no fuel pump issue on any late third gen and 4 gen trucks.

Ram did start using two fuel filters on the 2013.5 model year and up trucks one located on the rear frame by the tank and the other ahead of the CP3 fuel pump. On the earlier 6.7L Cummins engine 7.5 model year till 2012 model year they only used one filter before the CP3 fuel pump.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #7

Of all the problems ive seen that people claim dont exist one of the ones that people claim exist, ive never seen. Funny how that works.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:04 AM   #8

The CP4 is the reason I bought my 12 Cummins that had the CP3. I read story after story of guys getting turned down by Ford for warranty work. Mostly on the early years. Ford would claim there was water in the fuel even though the water in fuel light never came on and none was found in the test samples.
Shame on Ford.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #9

CP4 failures are quite common. Have seen several myself. Despite the distaste for the above linked lawyer, his analysis is spot-on. The CP4 is above all else CHEAPER than the CP3 for the mfgs. This was a well known fact when they started using them and there have been kits to retrofit CP3s for years. I already have the kit purchased for my truck.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkbhall View Post
Unless I read it incorrectly, it does not include the 2018 in the law suit.
So the sky's not falling?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:26 AM   #11

I had a friend get stranded in Mississippi for four or five days when this happened to his GM diesel truck, and it was a $10,000 cost outlay out of his pocket. I hate "ambulance chasing" lawyers too, but...I did send this link to him in case he'd like to see about getting some of his money back.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:38 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post

Spot on. I only hear these horror stories on web blogs and forums. If you read on, you see that most of the time user error was involved. Things like not draining the water out of the primary pump, using suspect fuel, incorrect fueling (gasoline introduced), filling up at suspect stations with low turn over of diesel, etc.

As above, I drain every month to be sure no water. If you wait for the water in fuel warning, it's too late! I also add Power Service Diesel Kleen since the new fuels are low in lubricity. No problems in my 2014 so far.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel