Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2022, 05:23 AM   #1

Screws keep pulling out of ceiling for blinds valance

Hello everyone,

I've tried a number of things and not having any luck keeping this valance attached to my ceiling. Originally when it fell down I added a screw, then both pulled out the the ceiling.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had issues with this. What are some good solutions to keep it mounted solidly? These blinds are on the couch side slide on a toy hauler so I have limited space above it for anchors.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211128_130557.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	236.3 KB
ID:	353991  
CaptainYARRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2022, 06:46 AM   #2

could you make a small 3/4" x 3/4" block 3 to 4 inches long and mount on the wall under the horizontal top of the valance using screws and wood glue? would carry the weight and since the screws would be horizontal into the wall, not as apt to pull out when you hit a bounce. could also use some small angle brackets, but you wouldn't get the benefit of gluing them
Old 01-17-2022, 09:23 AM   #3

Screws in 1/8 panel do not have much capacity. It usually takes lots of small screws to generate significant holding force.

Screws in tension hold very little. Screws in shear hold much better. Can you get a screw through the end of the box into an adjacent side wall? That is what finally kept mine in place.

Piano hinge is usually available at hardware stores. Use multiple small screws in the piano hinge to get a grip.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:24 AM   #4

I’ve seen some put tooth picks in the old screw hole then put the screw back in. I was surprised that it worked pretty well. I personally use rivet nuts whenever attaching anything to the walls (or ceiling in this case)
Jincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:27 AM   #5

I've used small wall anchors in the past and never had one fail
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 10:01 AM   #6

Piece of zip tie in the whole to tighten up the screw
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I've used small wall anchors in the past and never had one fail

X2 on the small plastic wall anchors .

The anchor expands behind the wall panel when the screw is inserted and tightened .
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 05:17 PM   #8

Go to a good hardware store and get some well nuts. These have a rubber body with a threaded insert encased. When tightening, they will expand behind the hole as well as into the sides of the hole. They come in various sizes and lengths. If you have really limited space above, try some jack nuts.
Old 01-17-2022, 05:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Banana rivets. Click the link for pictures.........

FRETS.COM

Banana Peel Rivet
© Frank Ford, 7/27/99; Photos by FF, 7/26/99

If you've ever used a pop rivet tool, you'll know just how handy it is. Made for sheet metal work, the usual pop rivet swells a bit as it draws the metal pieces together. If the work is soft, you need to back it with a washer.

Here's the coolest pop rivet, the peel rivet:

Notice how it splits into four sections as the head is drawn up.

Even in soft wood, the rivet holds quite well:

As you can see, the sections curl up against the inner surface to grip tightly.

These things work great, even with my ancient tool:

Best of all, in most situations I can rivet a latch or other part without even pulling the lining back on the inside. The rivet does its work behind the padded interior lining of the case.

And, it has a trim look on the outside:

On a deluxe, vintage, or really clean case, I'll generally opt for an original style split rivet, plated to match the case hardware.

Best not to use these rivets for handles on heavy cases, though, because they're made of aluminum and they're not really all that strong.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #10

typically the cause of the problem is the trailer rides very rough. I battled with loose cabinets and molding untill I got the trailer to ride better. Strait spring will greatly benefit from a center mount that has rubber and a set of shocks on the trailer. I did morryde IS , we now leave the coffee pot on the kitchen counter and have not had any issue with loose or parts falling off.
Old 03-21-2022, 02:04 PM   #11

we had the same thing. Go to Home Depot and get sheetrock wall anchors. We needed 1-1/4 length. Have not had a problem since. You can use a screwdriver to measure how deep the hole will go. Imagine its at least 1.5-2 inches.

Tags
ceiling, scr