Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2022, 10:50 AM   #1

Sell my 5th now or wait till Spring?

So..... I JUST bought a big 5th, mostly because the price was right. However, I am realizing it really does not suit my needs very well. I am in the midwest and it sure looks like the market got flooded with RVs in the last 30 days. I don't know the RV market very well, so I am hoping to gain some insight. I mention midwest because I am sure this is region specific.

I am not sure if the current trend is a typical seasonal one, or possibly economy related? I am not sure if waiting till March would be a better play? I guess to ask more pointedly, "when is the best time to sell?"
fastline is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2022, 11:37 AM   #2

I don't know the RV market very well either, but I don't think the economy in general is likely to improve between now and the spring, so if you have decided for sure that you don't want it, I don't see any benefit in waiting to list it for sale. That is especially true if it's costing you any monthly fees such as interest or storage fees.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post
So..... I JUST bought a big 5th, mostly because the price was right. However, I am realizing it really does not suit my needs very well. I am in the midwest and it sure looks like the market got flooded with RVs in the last 30 days. I don't know the RV market very well, so I am hoping to gain some insight. I mention midwest because I am sure this is region specific.

I am not sure if the current trend is a typical seasonal one, or possibly economy related? I am not sure if waiting till March would be a better play? I guess to ask more pointedly, "when is the best time to sell?"
What follows is my opinion.

Years ago I used to drive by the local Manheim auction and there would be a hand full, maybe two of RV's......now there are hundreds. I suspect some of them are the leftover trade-ins from the craze just behind us. Others are people that bought during the pandemonium and didn't know what they were getting into.... and they are seriously upside down trying to get out at all cost.

In the used car auction lots the bank owned percentage is increasing, a lot.

So, the bottom is not here yet, which is no surprise after the bubble we had.

Nor is it here yet in the classical car market (getting softer) or the boat market (also getting softer). And I am involved in all of these, as an owner.

The answer to your question is "now". And price it right and adjust as needed. Keep an eye on the market.... watch wether dealers are making real deals again. (They are).

Personally I am good with what I have and I'll take another look at it in a few years.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
Community Moderator

All the snow birds are in Florida now. Huge RV show draws thousands every year to Tampa, FL in January.

If you wanted to take a vacation to Florida, and could get some campground reservations, you would have a larger audience to pitch to.

[emoji848]
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:11 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Best time to sell?............hard to say. All my fifth wheel (3) and rv (2) purchases have been made in the winter. Suggest listing it on rv trader OR put it up for consignment in a dealer's lot now.
Old 12-05-2022, 10:07 PM   #6

I spent yrs working in sales at a powersports dealer selling every make of motorcyle/atv/utv/pwc/genny you can think of. Like clockwork, I knew the trend. I do note that it appears dealers really only put their "bargains" online to get people in. Hell, I saw one similar to mine that was 2yrs newer for not much more than I paid, but that listing said "contact to learn why price is so good"...lmao.

So far I have only heard from a buyer in Winter. I am still trying to learn the typical sell time. Not to say the economy is not playing here, but if there is one thing I know, if there are a bunch of the same on the market, you are screwed. I am seeing 2020 models at 50% of their new price as used. That is a hard pill for those sellers!
fastline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 06:40 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastline View Post

Wife just read an article yesterday that stated used RV prices dropping. I was driving, and she was reading:
https://www.rvtravel.com/motorhome-p...vey-rvt-1072b/

My thoughts, if you plan on selling, put it up for sale now, waiting would seem to only cost you dollars in the end.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #8

The RV dealer down the road from me is packed with new and used trailers. Not like it was, even a year ago, where the lot was almost empty. I would put it up now, like has been said. May not get better, but certainly seems like it will get worse.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:01 AM   #9

50% depreciation from new to three years old (2020 to today) is normal. Interest rates have been rising and credit is tightening so the pool of buyers has shrunk considerably. Dealer inventory has worked its way out of shortages caused by the surge in demand during Covid and the supply chain issues prevalent during the last couple of years. It has rapidly become a buyers market, lots to choose from and little competition.
I wouldn’t wait. You may just miss the buyer who is out hunting today. The spring may or may not be better, but there is likely to be more rigs on the market, meaning more competition for the buyers. Plus your rig is depreciating daily as it ages. And if you truly don’t want it, why keep an albatross hanging around for a few bucks you may or may not get. I would take my lumps and move on.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:51 AM   #10

I would hit RV trader, enter your RV and zip code with a 250 mile radius. See how many are for sale and for how much.
I entered mine and there's only one and it's out of date because it's sold. The add was not removed yet.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:03 PM   #11

There's an RV Pricing and Appraisals group on Facebook, and the're seeing prices dropping like a rock and predict they will continue to drop over the next year. Maybe not quite as much of a crash as 2008, but it's definitely a correction. The last 3 years of pricing have been an anomaly.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
There's an RV Pricing and Appraisals group on Facebook, and the're seeing prices dropping like a rock and predict they will continue to drop over the next year. Maybe not quite as much of a crash as 2008, but it's definitely a correction. The last 3 years of pricing have been an anomaly.
This!
TRNewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:17 AM   #13

Only you can make the decision of when to try to sell your RV. However, if it isn't on the market, it will not get sold no matter what season of the year it is.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:05 PM   #14

with supply chain problems becoming more widespread and fuel cost rising and the interest rates on the rise for every type of loan. I would try to sell now at a very fair price and understand selling RV's this time of year only bargain shoppers are out looking for deals. recover a fair amount now is better then a fire sale in the middle of next summer when you finally see there isn't a market to sell. Sorry about the black cloud outlook but I don't see anything good for 2 years regarding the economy.

Tags
sell