Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2016, 04:36 AM   #1

Selling our 5th wheel to a US citizen

Happy New Year!!
We are trying to sell our 2015 5th wheel, which we originally purchased from a US dealer, and we have a person from the US interested in buying it. Has anyone done this before and if so what is the process? I know bringing it up to Canada wasn't a very big hassle and hopefully it won't be too hard to sell back to the United States. Thanks for your time.
hihocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #2

I would suggest you make the transaction down here in the states south of the boarder. Documentation is partitive, You probably already are aware of the exchange rate. Keep in mind the bank transaction fees for processing payment money.
Each state has different transfer processing ,sales tax when transferring/ registering ,etc. the buyer will be aware of that.

CLIFF
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Cliff has a good idea. Do the deal in the buyer's State if possible because that will minimize the paperwork headaches.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I sold our Class A coach to a couple in Washington.
You just need to sign over your registration. It's a good idea to have a Bill of Sale done up as well.
They need to do their own paperwork on their end.
The purchaser has to bring the 5th wheel through the border themselves. Paperwork has to be filed with Customs.
The good thing is the 5th wheel was purchased in the US and will have met all requirements prior to coming to Canada.
As to the purchase price and payment, the Agreement to Sale document stated the amount in Canadian I wanted. This way, with the fluctuating CAD, I didn't have to worry about being the one losing in the transfer. The major portion was done using a Foreign Exchange bank transfer process in CaaD as the Banks would take an additional 2% on top of the exchange if done in USD.
On pickup of the coach, they paid the final remaining amount to make up the final portion of the payment calculated on the days exchange rate.

If you have more questions, PM me and I'll explain my process and methodology.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogpatch View Post
I sold our Class A coach to a couple in Washington.
You just need to sign over your registration. It's a good idea to have a Bill of Sale done up as well.
They need to do their own paperwork on their end.
The purchaser has to bring the 5th wheel through the border themselves. Paperwork has to be filed with Customs.
The good thing is the 5th wheel was purchased in the US and will have met all requirements prior to coming to Canada.
As to the purchase price and payment, the Agreement to Sale document stated the amount in Canadian I wanted. This way, with the fluctuating CAD, I didn't have to worry about being the one losing in the transfer. The major portion was done using a Foreign Exchange bank transfer process in CaaD as the Banks would take an additional 2% on top of the exchange if done in USD.
On pickup of the coach, they paid the final remaining amount to make up the final portion of the payment calculated on the days exchange rate.

If you have more questions, PM me and I'll explain my process and methodology.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to deliver the 5er to the person in the States. Is that possible or do they have to come up to meet me at the border?
hihocarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I believe they have to file the paperwork at Customs and admit the 5er to the US.

You can always call US Customs to varify.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 12:21 AM   #7

The DMV in the US will want to see the previous owner's title/registration documents/bill of sale. If it is Canadian, they will ask for documents from US Customs before they will register it. Best bet is to call US Customs and ask what is needed. I am sure there is no duty, probably no fees at all. Just the paperwork. You may have to show that the unit meets US DOT requirements.
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #8

..at 69 cents on the dollar, they should be flocking up here to buy everything they can get their hands on..I know the US used cars guys are...

Tags
5th wheel