Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #1

Shocks

Finally finished the shock install on the 5th wheel. Looked around at kits, but did not get a lot of help, due to the "minimum clearance". Lippert said 4 inches, why the shock is only 2 inch diameter. If I need an inch or so tire clearance then my wheels are really warped. (tires only buldge on the bottom)
Designed my own, using Munroe 555003 shocks 5+ inches travel plus upper mounting "bolt and spacer" came with the shocks. Total cost $120 (plus $40 for new U bolts as a precaution) If anyone wants a write up plus pics let me know. (and tell me how to upload pics)
deanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

I would be interested in the write up and pictures!

Just hit the 'post reply' button at the bottom left, then scroll down and click on 'manage attachments' and follow the directions to upload pictures...

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Shocks

I'd like to see how you did it. I'm looking at adding shocks to mine this spring and haven't found a kit that I like.

Actually the clearance is partly because of the tire deflecting all the way around when changing directions. The entire carcass deflects, more at the bottom, less at the top.

Photos, easiest way is to start an account with something like Photobucket, load the photos there, then you can post links here that will show up as photos in the thread. At the top of the box you type in there's a yellow box with two triangles and a little dot, that's the photo box. Click that, copy then paste the link to your photo there and it will appear in the thread. You'll see your photos because they'll have [IMG] [/IMG] on either end.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #4

With the 555003 shocks you get the upper mounting bolt spacer and nut Stengle Bros shipped to Texas $80 +change. Went to my local metal store bought a length of tube that a 1/2 bolt will fit in 33/64 inside dia. Had the appropriate length welded on to the spring plate, positioned so that they would be the same as the frame outside face. Tip after welding run a 33/64 drill thru to make sure the bolt will fit. Bought 5/8 outside diameter 1/2 inside diameter bushings. (the ones I got were for a lawn mower steel wheel about 3 inches long, you can find some at Tractor supply 1 1/2 long) Cut to length (same as the non-threaded portion of the supplied bolt about 1.3125. Washers bolt to suit.
As far as tire clearance I videoed the wheels/springs/axles going down a rough road, will say no more about what happens to tires.

Calculating length. Jacked up one wheel until the other nearly came off the ground. Measured from the bottom of the frame to the spring plate (underslung axles) of each wheel Min and Max travel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1992.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	77243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1988.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	77244  

Name:	IMG_1986.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	77245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1990.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	77246  

Old 10-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #5

Very unusual walking beam on that rig, never seen one like it.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
L.C.Gray,
That is Dexters E Z Flex equalizer. Helps soften the bounce on the trailer.

deanj,
You might want to reinforce the frame where the top shock bolt goes trough, it will round out over time. Other than that it looks good.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 AM   #7

A few more pic,s. Not really worried about the upper mount, their is only .010 clearance (.500 drill plus a 010 over reamer probably over kill ) to the tread. The only problem I see is if the nut/lock washer comes loose.FYI the upper mounting kit (if it does not come with the shock is part # P-1221.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1975.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	77286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1985.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	378.4 KB
ID:	77287  

Old 10-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #8

Wondering why you installed the shocks angled away from the equalizer. Normal axle movement will be towards the equalizer. Having the shocks angled inward would allow them to get more compression as the axle actually moves forward when compressed. All Northwood and Outdoor RV TT's and 5th wheels have them mounted with the top of the shock angled inward.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #9

Did debate inward vs outward (dexter kit are angled inward at 60 degrees) but after looking at the video (can not upload to windows 8 or other video programs "format not supported") it looked as though their was more travel on the equalizer end of the spring plate. Not really sure if that is true, as I did not light the video. Still deciding if I want to angle inward. Do not have enough miles on yet to make that decision. May just leave it the way it is as I am really happy with the result. So is the pin!

Tags
shocks