Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2009, 10:54 PM   #1

Shocks mounts on 07 Gulfstream Sedona

While working on my rig I noticed what look like shock absorber brackets. Shocks were an option in 2007 on some models. Does anyone have factory shocks to give me a model number or pictures if possible? I called my closest dealer (120 Miles) but the parts department wouldn't even discuss my question. They wanted me to bring it in and they would look at it. I bought the trailer used somewhere else. Any info would be helpful. I may hook up and take it by my local Auto Zone.
Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #2

Go to the Monroe shock selector site Monroe Shocks and Struts - The industry Leader in Manufacturing OE & Aftermarket Ride Control Products for Import and Domestic Vehicles and click on special applications. If you can determine the type of mounting brackets you have and can measure the size shock needed (compressed/ extended lengths), it will give you the stock number.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #3

Thanks for the website. I called Gulfstream and they gave my a stock number for monroe shocks. He wasn't confident they would make much difference and referred me to Morryde. Anyone think shocks helped, or didn't?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:36 PM   #4

hi jeff,
i guess the 1st thing that comes to my mind is why do you want to put shocks on? they are for creature comfort, ie dampining the road. since you are not in your camper when it goes down the road, the shocks will not be doing you much good. most trailers have springs, or they have the flex axle to eliminate some of the jarring. does yours have this? just curious,
steve
stevesandidg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #5

I want to reduce the pounding the rear kitchen is taking.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Shocks when properly mounted certainly reduced the pounding my truck was taking on our sorry interstate highways especially those old concrete ones with joints.

My 5ver had the shocks from the factory but they were poorly engineered and I had to put different mounts on the trailer and replace the shocks because they all had broken or bent shafts the way they were installed at the factory. My dealer got new ones for me from Keystone.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinsalida View Post
Thanks for the website. I called Gulfstream and they gave my a stock number for monroe shocks. He wasn't confident they would make much difference and referred me to Morryde. Anyone think shocks helped, or didn't?

What is that number??? i have a Canyon Trail, it will use the same shocks and i have been wanting to add them.
FFStreetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #8

The numbers are in a notebook in my office at work. I will get them Monday and post them for you. I think I am going to try it. I do not want to spend $2,000 even though everyone who has mor-ryde seems to love it. The shocks should be less than $200.00. We like the rear kitchen floorplan when parked...We just have to get it there without destroying itself.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 PM   #9

Thanks Jeff i will check back next week, i know some say it's a waste but i agree with you, it would have to make the ride better, cut down on some vibration, keep it from shaking itself to pieces LOL
Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #10

I have a 2001, 33 ft Excel. My unit came standard with Dexter shocks on both axles. Can't imagion not havig them installed. The Dexter #052-003-00 and cost $24.48 ea when they were replaced last year. A Monroe Gas Shock #555001 can also be used as a replacement for the Dexter shock. As I have Dexter axles, the mounting hardware is also Dexter and can be orders in needed (pg 92).

In the photo, on the earlier Excels, the shocks were mounted on the outside of the springs which caused some shock housing rub on the wheel hubs. On later models -04(?) and newer they were located inside the spring.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:51 PM   #11

FFstreetDoc, sorry it has taken so long to get back....my wife was in the hospital this week. But everything is looking ok now. Anyway the numbers I got are Monroe #555-025 (may be the NAPA #) 4 3/4" travel and 13 1/2 " extended. I am going to the parts store tomorrow and see what they look like. If I get to them I will take pictures and try to learn how to post them. (After a search for a tutorial) I am sure it will take a few trips to see if they worked. If they didn't I am not embarrassed to post that it was a waste of money.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinsalida View Post
FFstreetDoc, sorry it has taken so long to get back....my wife was in the hospital this week. But everything is looking ok now. Anyway the numbers I got are Monroe #555-025 (may be the NAPA #) 4 3/4" travel and 13 1/2 " extended. I am going to the parts store tomorrow and see what they look like. If I get to them I will take pictures and try to learn how to post them. (After a search for a tutorial) I am sure it will take a few trips to see if they worked. If they didn't I am not embarrassed to post that it was a waste of money.
Jeff
Thanks
Hope all is well with your wife!!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #13

I got the shocks in from my local NAPA, $183.00 total for 4. I got them put on.... it really was a piece of cake. The holes are there just bolt them on. I have pulled it about 2 hours home from Dillon CO. For the short stint on I-70 it seemed to be smother. I could be full of it but it seemed my braking had improved?? I did not have anything in the Fridge to see if the shelves fell. We are going camping in the boonies this weekend and the road has some washboards. I will post back. If this fixes our biggest compliant about the rear kitchen we will be happy campers

On the Dexter website they have a rubber equalizer for between the springs that I will use next if this does not do it.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:47 AM   #14

Look forward to hear the results